Buick dusting off Grand National, GNX and T-Type nameplates - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
FIN Moderator

Buick dusting off Grand National, GNX and T-Type nameplates

By Zach Bowman
Posted Nov 26th 2012 6:33PM

Inside Line reports Buick is planning to bring back some of the more storied names from the company's past, including the Grand National, GNX and the T-Type. Those cars rose to prominence in the 1970s and '80s to become performance legends of their day.

The new models will reportedly make use of the rear-wheel drive platform that currently underpins the Cadillac ATS and all would arrive as sedans – according to an unnamed source familiar with the initiative. Odds are the T-Type and the Grand National would share a driveline, with honest money being on a new twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6 as the engine of choice. Word has it the mill will be good for anywhere from 350 to 400 horsepower.

That leaves only the GNX. Inside Line seems to think that machine could get down the road with some help from the all-new GM LT1 small-block V8. The engineers behind the ATS platform have already told us the engine bay is large enough for to accommodate the big eight pot, and since GM is most certainly working on an ATS-V, a slightly less powerful, less luxurious Buick iteration makes some kind of sense. We can't wait to see these things in the light of day.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/26/b...pe-nameplates/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Re: Buick dusting off Grand National, GNX and T-Type nameplates

IMO this would be evidence of GM losing the plot once again. With Caddy's V series and Chevy's SS models they will once again competing with themselves in many cases for the same sales once you include Buick in the middle. I really think when you look at global auto companies they mostly consist of a main stream brand and an upmarket brand, VW/Audi, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura. GM is going to be trying to split hairs to define specific, unique markets for each brand. There is overlap to some degree with all the companies listed, yet if you add a third in the middle the overlap becomes overwhelming.

I would rather have Ford competing with a lower end to mid line Lincoln then have a third line in the middle. My reason is that having a Ford with upmarket appeal adds to the entire Ford line. Ford cars today are seen as refined, quality vehicles. Now in GM's case Chevy continues to carry the cheap image, rather then affordable like Ford, huge difference. For GM to lift Chevy's image to refined would encroach onto Buick's territory. I just don't see any advantage to having the three separate, yet still similar lines anymore.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
FIN Moderator

^It would be worse if Pontiac was still alive.

If these cars replace the Regal, the Opel Insignia could make its way here. GM needs to make every single brand they own unique so that they could go global.

Buick needs to be positioned like it was in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

imho this is GREAT NEWS
a v8 Buick?!? ...to put pressure on FLincMoCo!!!!!

Edmunds says: Just when we think GM has settled back into stupid mode Reuss and the gang get smart...

forget "Brands" they're just "nameplates" now
and can be morphed into anything with talented marketing & careful product planning...
...largely being unafraid to "reach higher" with their top 'nameplate'!
while not having your ego bruised by letting your bottom nameplate be as CHEAP as possible!!

ps
Chevy needs a new MONZA (4cyl only! & CHEAP)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

OTOH...
according to PREMiERdrum wherever he is

"Grossly exaggerated reporting by InsideLine.

Several program additions to Alpha were "Blue Sky'd" and considered when Alpha's costs ballooned out of control towards the end of development. Right now, none of these have been greenlit.

A heritage name is set be used on a version of Regal, and a proposed Insignia/Regal-based coupe is set to wear the Riviera badge.

Everything in the Buick pipeline right now is FWD/AWD."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
OTOH...
according to PREMiERdrum wherever he is
"Grossly exaggerated reporting by InsideLine.

Several program additions to Alpha were "Blue Sky'd" and considered when Alpha's costs ballooned out of control towards the end of development. Right now, none of these have been greenlit.

A heritage name is set be used on a version of Regal, and a proposed Insignia/Regal-based coupe is set to wear the Riviera badge.

Everything in the Buick pipeline right now is FWD/AWD."
Ugh, I don't know what to believe anymore.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
Ugh, I don't know what to believe anymore.
Believe they made the right choice!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

I have a hard time believing that Buick is going to get these nameplates back. I thought I saw an interview where they said they wouldn't bring the GNX or Grand National names back for a long?

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
I would rather have Ford competing with a lower end to mid line Lincoln then have a third line in the middle. My reason is that having a Ford with upmarket appeal adds to the entire Ford line. Ford cars today are seen as refined, quality vehicles. Now in GM's case Chevy continues to carry the cheap image, rather then affordable like Ford, huge difference. For GM to lift Chevy's image to refined would encroach onto Buick's territory. I just don't see any advantage to having the three separate, yet still similar lines anymore.
Right now, it seems that the Ford brand has usurped the Mercury slot. It is offering attractive and refined vehicles that can demand a higher price than the bottom rung. It is showing in their profits per vehicle, and the sales of their higher line packages.
This should allow Lincoln to go upscale and expand. It just seems to be taking a long time.

I think GM needs the three brands for now. The Caddy brand is entrenched, and making progress.
Chevy is still a bit behind Ford on most fronts, so Buick can offer a premium priced vehicle until Chevy catches up. Maybe in ten years, Buick will not be needed, but for now, it serves a good purpose. If the time comes for Buick to depart, it would be smart for GM to transition some names, styles, and features to Chevy.

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
Right now, it seems that the Ford brand has usurped the Mercury slot. It is offering attractive and refined vehicles that can demand a higher price than the bottom rung. It is showing in their profits per vehicle, and the sales of their higher line packages.
Agreed, back when the Big 3 controlled 80+% of the market all those brands made sense, but not any longer.

Quote:
This should allow Lincoln to go upscale and expand. It just seems to be taking a long time.
I don't like saying this, and nobody will like reading this, but I believe Lincoln see's the market coming to them rather then the other way around. Kind of like when the MKS was originally a concept and Ford was polling people as to whether they would prefer a V8 or a 400hp twin turbo V6. They were right for the majority of the market, smaller boosted engines are the future as we're seeing more and more with the competition. I have a bad feeling they see the market also moving to smaller front/all wheel drive vehicles going forward and have placed their bet there. I'm still holding out hope, but its fading fast.

Quote:
I think GM needs the three brands for now. The Caddy brand is entrenched, and making progress.
Chevy is still a bit behind Ford on most fronts, so Buick can offer a premium priced vehicle until Chevy catches up. Maybe in ten years, Buick will not be needed, but for now, it serves a good purpose. If the time comes for Buick to depart, it would be smart for GM to transition some names, styles, and features to Chevy.
I'm not saying that GM cannot make the three brand strategy work, but I think they have to ensure that Buick has a unique place in that lineup. Caddy and Chevy can get away with using the same/similar platforms and keeping them differentiated enough to not step on each others toes. If they try to keep doing the same with Buick then eventually Chevy will eat them alive from below and Caddy from above. Caddy has to compete on the lower end of the luxury spectrum just as the German and Asian brand's do. Chevy will need to compete also at that lower end just as its competition does, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda all have cars that are nipping at the heels of entry level luxury.

As a Ford guy I'm happy to see them focused on two core brands! Absolutely nothing good can come from stretching development dollars to try to make one platform unique enough to justify three brands. Focus on making the two the best they can be in their perspective markets, so far Ford has done this very well, Lincoln not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buick, dusting, gnx, grand, nameplates, national, ttype

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page