Ford Inside News banner

2014 Fusion Titanium 2.0EB AWD - My 1st drive

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  JBsC6 
#1 ·
2014 Fusion Titanium 2.0EB AWD - My 1st drive

I was in Ontario, Canada 2 weeks ago and had the pleasure of driving my brothers 1 week old Fusion 2.0 EB Titanium AWD. Thought I would share my opinions on this very very good car.

Observation and opinions based on 6 hour Guelph to Ottawa drive in very bad weather conditions, with lots of black ice and snowy conditions and tons of traffic. I drove for 3 hours of the 6 hours, and rest of the time front passenger was my seat. I netted 7.6l/100km (31MPG , US gallons) which was 100% highway , with my average speed of 100km (61mph).

First thoughts - Very good looking car, exterior all looks good. The stance is much lower then I had anticipated, very sporty and hunkered down looking. I am sure side by side with the current Mondeo would verify that the new one is smaller. Fit and finish is very good, except for the trunk lid where it meets the top of the bumper, with the right side being off slightly.

Interior - 1st impressions pretty much as expected and my disappointment with the door panel design is confirmed. The door cards lack any design whatsoever compared the design language to the rest of vehicle. Materials used are very good (way better then I expected), and all the edges on the plastics are finished properly with no rough or cut your fingers cheapness.(Bravo). I could be wrong but on the MY2014 Titanium the bright work around the center stack, heat/air vents etc has been darkened and this makes a world of difference as far as looking more upscale-premium to match the overall premium design look of the exterior.

Inside the SE (my brother had an SE in his driveway as well-his company car) the bright work is still very bright and looks cheaper, to my eye anyway. The thing I was most impressed with is how all buttons, air vents, turn signal and wiper stalks, and glove box are very very well dampened.

Very premium feel.

I sat in all seats (during my stay around town errands etc) , driver, front passenger, and rear seats and all seats are super comfortable, with lots of range/settings for the drivers seat. It is the best seat in the cabin. Front passenger seat suffers the same as all current Ford front passenger seats - not enough settings/adjustments with the main culprit being the seat cushion has zero adjustments, and riding in this seat for more those 3 hours I can confirm that that the seat cushion needs an adjustment to raise the front portion.

Rear seat comfort is very good, but because of the front power seat units located under the seats, lack of foot room sucks. Our current Mondeo rear cabin space and comfort is far superior.

Driving dynamics - The cars suspension is very very good. The AWD weight you feel right away, giving the car a very planted on the road feel, good front to back balance. The AWD also gives the steering a heavier but nice feeling. Car felt very Mondeo-ish, with the brake feel being 100% North American ( set up is not so grabby). And that 2.0l EB 240hp is wonderful, boy did I enjoy how this engine performs all through the RPM range, plus the 6 speed auto worked perfect. Good set up indeed. The 2.0l EB feels strong no matter what RPM you are at, and that torque pushes you back in the seat really nice when you get that lead foot Louie need for speed.

The NVH in the new Fusion is luxury quiet, even with beefy winter tires , the car is very very quiet. Car in **** weather and road conditions gave me a good confident feeling.Stability & traction control set up is done well, and the AWD system works great. Bottom line, this is a very very good driving car, no doubt about it.

MyFord Touch, was simple to use, and not one problem was encountered. No idea why the auto journalists are on such a hate mission with this feature. The Sony sound system is excellent, wow wow wow. Loved the sound.

Super nice car, well dialed in and a real drivers car for sure. I came away with the perception that this is a premium level car.

View attachment 6770

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the review MKII. It really helps to build this site, as others mentioned.

Anyway, my brother used my A plan to purchase the same exact trim level, but in black. He can't stop praising it and how well it did this winter. So much so his wife wants one too. I have a big family, and I hand out so many A-plans at Ford, that I have to be careful to allow one for myself when needed. We are allowed 6 and I nearly max out every year, lol. Anyway, for all my contributions to Ford, I got an Ambassador status, and a free $100 gift. Whoopeedoo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.