Ford Inside News banner

2010 Equinox Vs. 2010 CR V

Tags
2010 equinox
20K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·

Using this vehicle as an example. Japan should be worried. The interior styling also blows the Japanese away. Add all the American tech goodies and Japan is not in the game.
Sync/XM/OnStar...etc...

See less See more
#3 ·
I am pretty sure that Honda is not really concerned about the Equinox.
not at the moment .. it will take a few years for the Nox to climb up the charts ... but it will and then they will notice ... (example: Fusion)

Igor
There is good reason for them to be concerned. Let me show you why.

Year 2003

2010 Model Year

You see Japan has been overtaken. If you thorw in Mileage advantage of detroit, warranty, and technology. (Sync/Onstar IV etc) Japan would really better take it seriously. But they will not.
I mean Fusion rivals Lexus in technology, And So does Malibu. There are technology options in Detroit that you cannot get in Japanese vehicles.

#5 ·
There is good reason for them to be concerned. Let me show you why.

Year 2003

2010 Model Year

You see Japan has been overtaken. If you thorw in Mileage advantage of detroit, warranty, and technology. (Sync/Onstar IV etc) Japan would really better take it seriously. But they will not.
I mean Fusion rivals Lexus in technology, And So does Malibu. There are technology options in Detroit that you cannot get in Japanese vehicles.
Its almost shocking to see how far Detroit has come. Man GM has moved at Warp.. literally. Ford still looks good for 2003, kind of above GM at the time, but for 2010, the myriad of pieces and disjointed buttons and non flowing theme in the honda coupled with the "insert radio here" Nav unit does not do Honda any justice.

Ford Dash is really well laid out and flows nicely. The 2010 Knox is really nice and high tech with very well thought out colors.

#6 ·
I never said the Honda was better looking. You still havent convinced me that Honda is running scared by GM.
I would not say they are scared of Ford or GM. But they surely can see their competitive advantage evaporate. Why would anyone really give me a good reason for buying a CR-V over a Mariner? I mean a REAL reason. Like, "better interior execution" or more technology option or more fuel efficiency or, better off road capabilities? price? anything? Come the equinox and it hits them right where it hurts Honda most. Fuel economy. Dude, Honda should be really concerned becouse the Equinox is getting better fuel economy than some of their saloons and they claim to be the "most fuel efficient"
If Guys in Japan are not concerned, I would say they are not long for this world.
Imagine this
the 4 cylinder manual accord is rated 31 mpg the equinox is rated 32. If GM marketing has any brains they should sing this fact from the rooftop

#7 ·
We still also need to see test drives and comparos, in order to get a real feel of what this new Equinox is all about. We know that the same car minus a few tweaks has been around for over a year already in the form of the Saturn VUE and the general sense is that it is terribly overweighted. They may have resolved the issue on the Equinox, I have no idea but the basic design had that big flaw. Also keep in mind tha the design point of view is very subjective and if anything GM has done a very good interpretation of the Japanese design language.

Finally as much as I like them the Mariner and the Escape will be lagging in this segment behind until de Kuga based models are launched, only because now they are the oldest kids in the block. They are still performing pretty decently though and Ford can be very aggressive price wise since this project has been paid for a thousand times over. Also the Quality is right there while the quality in the Equinox is at best still under question marks.

#9 ·
We still also need to see test drives and comparos, in order to get a real feel of what this new Equinox is all about. We know that the same car minus a few tweaks has been around for over a year already in the form of the Saturn VUE and the general sense is that it is terribly overweighted. They may have resolved the issue on the Equinox, I have no idea but the basic design had that big flaw. Also keep in mind tha the design point of view is very subjective and if anything GM has done a very good interpretation of the Japanese design language.

Finally as much as I like them the Mariner and the Escape will be lagging in this segment behind until de Kuga based models are launched, only because now they are the oldest kids in the block. They are still performing pretty decently though and Ford can be very aggressive price wise since this project has been paid for a thousand times over. Also the Quality is right there while the quality in the Equinox is at best still under question marks.
Yes, the CR-V does not even beggin to light a candle on the Kuga. There has been several first drives on equinoxs based on pre-production models. Things like "lexus quiet" are being said, and things like.. Generations ahead of the model it replaces...
Its not a Vue platform, its a modified version of the old Equinox platform. The Vue is a very competent vehicle, FYI. Better than Japanese offerings. My Father owns one.
On the other hand, SobeSVT, My personal opinion is that you will never give GM a fair shake.
Out of curiosity, why did you show a 2003 Escape interior picture and then show a 2009 Edge interior picture for Ford? The 2010 Escape's interior is much nicer than both from Honda and Chevy IMO, even without the Nav.

I think the poster was trying to demo design trends. The GM 2003 one is not an Equinox either.. the general point was perhaps , interior execution...

#10 ·
Yes, the CR-V does not even beggin to light a candle on the Kuga. There has been several first drives on equinoxs based on pre-production models. Things like "lexus quiet" are being said, and things like.. Generations ahead of the model it replaces...
Its not a Vue platform, its a modified version of the old Equinox platform. The Vue is a very competent vehicle, FYI. Better than Japanese offerings. My Father owns one.
Both the VUE and the Equinox are Theta vehicles. So will be the GMC Terrain. They certainly are platform mates.
On the other hand, SobeSVT, My personal opinion is that you will never give GM a fair shake.
Who cares? The government more than gave them a fair shake . . .

#11 ·
Both the VUE and the Equinox are Theta vehicles. So will be the GMC Terrain. They certainly are platform mates.

Who cares? The government more than gave them a fair shake . . .
I do care about your opinions. That is why I read your posts. FYI.. I am just pointing out a fact about them.

The Theta you are refering to is like saying the 2010 Mustang is still on the Lincoln LS platform. It may still have components from that platform, but its been upgraded and re-engineered so that its really not the same vehicle.

#12 ·
I do care about your opinions. That is why I read your posts. FYI.. I am just pointing out a fact about them.

The Theta you are refering to is like saying the 2010 Mustang is still on the Lincoln LS platform. It may still have components from that platform, but its been upgraded and re-engineered so that its really not the same vehicle.
I know. But the new Equinox, the new Saturn VUE/Opel Antara and the new GMC Terrain are based on the NEW Theta. What makes you think I am talking about the old Theta?

The car that will ride on a different Theta, called Theta Premium will be the next Cadillac SRX. Theta Premium would simply be too expensive for a Chavy, Saturn or GMC.

#13 ·
I know. But the new Equinox, the new Saturn VUE/Opel Antara and the new GMC Terrain are based on the NEW Theta. What makes you think I am talking about the old Theta?

The car that will ride on a different Theta, called Theta Premium will be the next Cadillac SRX. Theta Premium would simply be too expensive for a Chavy, Saturn or GMC.
I believe its called Theta-EP.;)

#15 ·
You are right. Although its officially called Theta Premium, most people knows it by its unofficial name Theta Ep, which reflects the combination of the Theta and Epsilon platform, which is how the Theta Premium was ultimately designed.
Great detail. Who knows when Kuga goes on sale in North America?

#19 ·
anyone thinking japan is not concerned about a debt free detroit is mistaken

The Japanese may be keeping an eye on this but if you think that Honda is seriously concerned with this Equinox then you are the one who is mistaken.
Lets wait until we see a sales comparison. I would say the Fusion has them scared more than this Equinox. However, until sales tide turn in Americas favor, there should be no one assuming anything just yet.

#21 ·
Thank you Volvo S70. While I wouldnt consider myself an expert, I deal with public perception every day in the dealership. Honda produces great vehicles, I will admit that. I do not believe that they are as good as blind Honda Followers percieve them to be. It may very well take Ford and the other American companies as many years to fix this mess as they spent making it. There is no quick fix. As far as the Equinox, I see customers who want to bail out of them on a regular basis and move into the Mariner/Escape which are both ancient but still pretty competive, so I have driven the current version with a few miles on them during appraisals and my own "perception" is that GM would have to improve them about 1000% to compete with the current CRV. What happens when Honda introduces the new and improved CRV?
This is true. The Current Equinox was a really shoddy job. They did an MCE which kind of spiced up the interior, but even then, the door panel were left to the mercy of the Gods. A really shoddy job.
But based on the test drives, it seems like GM is really trying. I am also seeing lots of Traverses on the road. They look good.

That said. The Equinox (current) sucks compared to Mariner and Escape. The Vue holds its own though. Its world class. As good as Japanese.

The new CRV is still years away. GM should be more concerned with Kuga.

#22 ·
Thank you Volvo S70. While I wouldnt consider myself an expert, I deal with public perception every day in the dealership. Honda produces great vehicles, I will admit that. I do not believe that they are as good as blind Honda Followers percieve them to be. It may very well take Ford and the other American companies as many years to fix this mess as they spent making it. There is no quick fix. As far as the Equinox, I see customers who want to bail out of them on a regular basis and move into the Mariner/Escape which are both ancient but still pretty competive, so I have driven the current version with a few miles on them during appraisals and my own "perception" is that GM would have to improve them about 1000% to compete with the current CRV. What happens when Honda introduces the new and improved CRV?
Well, no one probably would have guessed that Toyota was worried about the new Malibu, but they were. Toyota hired a consulting firm in Japan to buy a few new Malibus and disassemble them so Toyota would know how GM did it. Toyota did the same thing back in the day with the 1986 Taurus.

No one would also guess that BMW was worried about the new CTS either. However when the car was revealed, BMW's CEO came over to the car and said in German, "That side-vent must be plastic...it is impossible to fabricate such in metal." He had an assistant touch it only to find it really was metal. What did the CEO do? He later sent one of his assistants back to the CTS on the show floor with a trace pad and pencil to trace the CTS side vent so they could figure out how GM designed it in metal.

The reason Honda has done so well is because they are not arrogant to the competition like GM/Ford/Chrysler was for decades. They care that GM/Ford is improving and you are seriously mistaken if you don't think they are watching events unfold very closely.

#23 ·
^^^ good to see you back -nsap-
What GM and Ford has been putting out lately must at some level put Japan on notice.
There is perhaps nor panic but, the japanese are not naive.

I test drove the Malibu and was shocked as to how good it was. That car is great!!! Better than Camry.

I Would even venture to say they problably have a bunch of fusions right now being disassembled...

If this Equinox as as good as anything GM has been putting out, there is no way the Honda would not take notice...

But LM is probably right. It will take several generations for the Market place to play out.

#25 ·
...must at some level put Japan on notice.
There is perhaps nor panic but, the japanese are not naive...

...I Would even venture to say they problably have a bunch... ...right now being disassembled...

...there is no way the Honda [et al] would not take notice...

sorry I can't resist commenting on the ^quoted theme
imho
Honda, that "T" brand, & Hyundai (at least) are really watching MERCURY very closely (BuickNA too)
since-imho
they're seriously trying to figure how to be "3 Tier" Mfgs (entry/mid/lux)
&-imho
I'd bet a lot of times they're puzzled as what Fomoco is & ISN'T doing with Merc...
...anyone know what Japanese (or Korean) is for "Yeah-BUT"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.