Vauxhall Adam uncovered (and Opel Adam) - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Vauxhall Adam uncovered (and Opel Adam)

by Mark Tisshaw
11 July 2012
Auto Car

This is the Vauxhall Adam, a highly customisable new city car that, the firm hopes, will make it a “cooler” brand. The Adam will reach UK showrooms in January, priced from about £11,000, after its Paris motor show debut in September.

Whereas the chief rivals of the three-door, four-seat Adam — the Mini and Fiat 500 — can play upon a long heritage within a sector where chic appeal is everything, Vauxhall is entering new territory.

The company hopes to strike a chord with fashion-conscious buyers through a mix of a bold design inside and out, advanced ‘premium car’ interior options and the potential to make your own Adam unlike any other because there are more than a million trim and colour combinations.

Vauxhall chairman Duncan Aldred told Autocar that the Adam would make people “reappraise how they would traditionally think of Vauxhall and the brand and even make it — dare I say it — a cooler brand to be associated with”.

The Adam, known as ‘Junior’ throughout its development, has been styled under the direction of Opel/Vauxhall’s design chief, Mark Adams. The Briton, who switches within the General Motors group to head Cadillac and Buick design from 1 August, has not been able to reinterpret a classic model with the Adam in the way that Mini and Fiat have.

Instead, the Adam’s bold looks reference and evolve from design features seen on other Vauxhalls. It also gets a series of distinctive visual elements of its own.

A deep, crisp line around the door handles is developed from the Astra GTC, the chrome bar in the grille is derived from the Astra, and the ‘blade’ surfacing for the doors has been a feature of recent Vauxhalls.

The front of the Adam features a heavily sculpted bonnet and a pair of large, circular foglights below the headlights to give the Adam its own distinctive ‘face’. LED daytime running lights can 
also be specified.

A low beltline and the relatively narrow pillars should give the Adam’s four-seat cabin an airy feel. The rear windows are convex and shaped to match the gently sloping tailgate.

Another striking element of the Adam’s design is the ‘floating’ effect for the roof, which is achieved by painting the pillars and roof a separate colour to the bodywork.

The overall design gives the Adam a squat and sporty appearance. It’s also an unusually wide car for the segment, at 1720mm. The car’s tracks are 1485mm at the front and 1478mm at the rear.

At 3700mm long, the Adam sits closer to the 3723mm-long Mini hatchback than the 3546mm-long Fiat 500. The Adam’s 1720mm width is also closer to the Mini’s (1683mm) than the 500’s (1627mm). The Adam’s wheelbase is 2311mm, which is less than the Mini’s 2467mm but just greater than the 500’s 2300mm.

Full text at link

Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Vauxhall Adam uncovered (and Opel Adam)

not bad

nice that it's 3 inches wider than the Cinquecento/KA

wish they'd made the A-pillars black - roof would've looked even more a-float
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Ford Kuga

It looks pretty spiffy, Hopefully Buick has the bolls to sell it here

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Focus RS WRC

It looks too cartoon-ish. More like something you would see at Disney. I'll take either a Mini or Fiat 500 w/folding top.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboS40 View Post
It looks too cartoon-ish. More like something you would see at Disney. I'll take either a Mini or Fiat 500 w/folding top.
I do not know if there is any way to change your mind, but there is better images on autoblog

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Another small premium car... it will join the Mini, Fiat 500 and DS from Peugeot. This market will turn in an interesting segment for the auto industry. The Start concept mini-car could be, easily, transformed in this kind of premium car. And, maybe, could be a Lincoln ...

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:53 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ at the rate Lincoln is (NOT) moving, imho
they won't get around to this small of a vehicle before
hydrogen-power
all electric lineup
&or
flying cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboS40 View Post
just-imho but
I like-&-take the Mini seriously* but consider the Cinquecento a joke* - at least for U.S.roads
&
seems the ADAM will be closer to the Mini imho

** the test being: if I'd be afraid to be in one the freeway/highway
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Focus RS WRC

...waiting for a modern X 1/9......

The look of the Opel ADAM just irritates me for reasons unknown to all the doctors and psychologists everywhere..maybe it's the roof design. The Mini is more muscular looking. A vehicle that us guys would want to be seen in. (even older ones like me) The 500 design is mixed unless you go with the Cabrio which is a novelty of it's own and you could get away with being seen in it because of its old world charm and grace. The Beetle on the other hand is a story all its own even with the male hormone therapy of the new body design. Could the new Beetle be considered a transgendered vehicle??? WOW! a new catagory in the automotive world>> Sports Car, Family Car, Transgendered Car, Economy Car....Ok, enough Friday office humor..... leaving work at 3p today so goofing off on extended lunch. Woo Hoo!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbukukanyau View Post
I do not know if there is any way to change your mind, but there is better images on autoblog
Would it work as a Buick? Does Buick need it?

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adam, opel, uncovered, vauxhall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page