Ford Inside News banner

NYC 2017: NEW NAVIGATOR! (Official = posts#43...)

87K views 395 replies 36 participants last post by  Andrew L 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#5 ·
Nice job, gjrip. I do like it a lot so far. I really can't wait to see the interior. I think this will leapfrog Cadillac by a significant amount.
My engine spec numbers (guessing) are:

390hp
500ftlbs

They could never match Raptor specs with a Lincoln quiet exhaust. No way. HP will be way down, but torque should be close.

#9 ·
They really shrunk the grill down, it's probably a full third shorter vertically. I think that is an improvement, the larger headlights on the other hand are giving me a previous generation Yukon vibe.

I'm with Wings here though, the interior is what I'm most excited to see! With the prior 4 new Lincolns I've been impressed with the materials and build, but the design hasn't excited me at all. The 'Gator is too **** big to follow along with any prior Lincoln interior trends so we'll see something new for sure!

When does this debut? Any word on Lincoln concepts? If the next Explorer/Aviator are going to be 2019 model year products then they'd debut in concept form this year, production next year.

#13 ·
We'll see pictures around midnight tomorrow (Tuesday night), as has been pointed out.

As for the interior....just look at the concept. It'll be largely what you see there, aside from a more traditional center console/arm rest setup.

As for concepts, I doubt we'll see anything at New York, as Navigator is big news for the brand.....I doubt they'd want to overshadow that with another debut (or overshadow another debut with Navigator).

Is NY the last major show of the year? I can never remember. We've already had LA, NAIAS, and Chicago.....I don't think there are any others?

#11 ·
I like the illuminated star I am glad they are adding it!

#15 ·
The only other POSSIBLE would be Pebble Beach. Lincoln did debut BL at it and Cadillac has debuted concepts.

#25 ·
I'm not sure. It does look like there are some sort of LED fog lights down there (the light circles in the bottom corners of the bumper in that groove/extension of the grille opening. Whether piping will carry in further, I don't know.

#18 ·
dug this up from the Expedition thread
Bloggin said:
..."The standard 3.5L EcoBoost® engine offers 365 horsepower and 450 lbs.-ft. torque."
...vid says power numbers areN'T released yet BUT
saw a blurb+LINK to the Canadia site:
POWER UPGRADE.
The 3.5L EcoBoost® engine in the Expedition Platinum is tuned to give you more
refined power – upping the output to 400 horsepower and 480 lbs.-ft. of torque.
Which means more responsive performance as you pass others on the highway
edit: found it = alternates with the "FirstClassCabin" pic&blurb
:nerd:

#21 · (Edited)
It seems likely they'll tune the 3.5L for Lincoln to deliver more power, partly to overcome what I'm sure is by default a heavier vehicle than the Expedition once you pack on the materials and features.

I saw a production sketch of the fascia and I think it looks better with a wider lower fascia with a shorter and squarer grille. The concept grille is out of scale with the design and the lower cladding is just too smooth so the production version seems to be a bit sharper and less boat-like. The headlights are integrated and consequently larger than the concept but they look slim because of the horizontal lens elements. The rear fascia looks very little like the concept in detail and finishes but the ideas are there, the integrated/flush bumper definitely isn't there and the wrap-around fixtures are much bigger/squarer. The wheels should set it off, the Black Label has some pretty dramatic designs.

I like it, it's not quite Land Rover modern or Infiniti dramatic, but it's professional and appropriate. That smooth simplicity can be elegant if trimmed out right.

The interior will be the really big reveal of course.

#23 ·
It's possible but considering how much headroom the 3.5 has it doesn't seem needed. If Navigator customers cared about engine displacement, they would probably just want a V8 option. Since Expedition, a vehicle more likely to be used for towing didn't get a V8...that seems unlikely. Lincoln doesn't have to be all things to all people, I'm certain they have an impressive horsepower and performance story to tell that will surprise people.

#26 ·
I think there is some sort of regulatory barriers to those LED running lights. I don't have the exact language but I know it limits how many fixtures you can have acting in that roll (something to do foglight regulation). The MKX has two strips but the lower strips are dimmer.

As for the illuminated star, the Continental was suppose to get this as a later update as well. I think it's coming alongside the HUD.

#29 · (Edited)
Lincoln's Facebook page put up a video showing off the illuminated star and at the bottom it says Black Label pre-production model.

#30 · (Edited)
^ :thumb: @Andrew L
doesn't that look like (or almost) the "BILLET star-shadow" grille like the Conti & Navi CONCEPTS??
definitely not the "starmesh" of the production Conti & Z afaik
Link

edit
Andrew pointed out that at the bottom during the video it states:
Lincoln Black Label pre-production model shown. Available late 2017.​

Attachments

#31 ·
I was surprised they did not include the 5.0L with the Expedition, at least as a downgrade or for those who think they need a V8. In reality, the turbo V6 will tow much easier with gobs more torque. As for long term durability, well, it has done pretty well with trucks thus far which tow and haul far more and far more frequently. The only time I see a trailer behind an Expy, is trips to the lake or camping.

And as for a ‘Raptor spec’ Navigator, it physically can’t ever occur. They squeezed all they could out of Raptor air pump, which includes free flowing intake and exhaust. And we all know what happens when you cork an air pump for better NVH.

#32 ·
Wingsnut,

With all due respect. Those that desire or invest in more performance are fully aware that it may come with a sportier intake, and exhaust note or reduced NVH. The GMT900 Escalades for instance are a prime example of an engine that is in a luxury vehicle that has a quite aggressive intake, and exhaust note.

Perhaps the reason that I have not been attacked by a large albeit hungry predator is because of the large paperweight in my office, and perhaps the class leaders in this class have garnered some success due to the availability of a premium V8 engine.

#33 ·
LT1 6.2L in a Stingray achieves 460hp, yet only manages 420hp with same basic 6.2L in Escalade.
The power loss is due entirely to a variation in cam profiles, different intake and exhaust breathing. IOW, the vette is much louder and sportier with much different driving requirements. Nobody should be surprised by this. And I doubt GM expects many customers for a Z06 spec Escalade, which is available as well, but wisely not offered. Not worth the ROI.

The numbers I believe to be correct for Navigator are close to 400hp and about 480-500ftlbs of torque. So less hp than Escalade, but more torque. And what I define as premium, is a modern GTDI engine, 10 speeds, aluminum body and IRS. I do not consider pushrods and truck axles as anything close to premium.
But that’s just me. I think Navigator will do well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.