Ford Inside News banner

Brown Wins!

Tags
brown wins
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mbukukanyau 
#1 ·
BOSTON – In an epic upset in liberal Massachusetts, Republican Scott Brown rode a wave of voter anger to win the U.S. Senate seat held by the late Edward M. Kennedy for nearly half a century, leaving President Barack Obama's health care overhaul in doubt and marring the end of his first year in office.

The loss by the once-favored Democrat Martha Coakley in the Democratic stronghold was a stunning embarrassment for the White House after Obama rushed to Boston on Sunday to try to save the foundering candidate. Her defeat signaled big political problems for the president's party this fall when House, Senate and gubernatorial candidates are on the ballot nationwide.

"I have no interest in sugarcoating what happened in Massachusetts," said Sen. Robert Menendez, the head of the Senate Democrats' campaign committee. "There is a lot of anxiety in the country right now. Americans are understandably impatient."

Brown will become the 41st Republican in the 100-member Senate, which could allow the GOP to block the president's health care legislation and the rest of his agenda. Democrats needed Coakley to win for a 60th vote to thwart Republican filibusters.

One day shy of the first anniversary of Obama's swearing-in, the election played out amid a backdrop of animosity and resentment from voters over persistently high unemployment, Wall Street bailouts, exploding federal budget deficits and partisan wrangling over health care.

For weeks considered a long shot, Brown seized on voter discontent to draw even with Coakley in the campaign's final stretch. His candidacy energized Republicans, including backers of the grass-roots "tea party" movement, while attracting disappointed Democrats and independents uneasy with where they felt the nation was heading.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_massachusetts_senate

Thank you to the people of the Bay State. Dems take note, if you try to force the Senate bill through the House...people are not going to like it.

:eek: Remember this is the seat held by the Kennedys since the 50s. Truely amazing!

See less See more
#4 ·
I am a great beleiver in checks and balances. Now political power is in check in washington.

Meanwhile I figured sobesvt was going by the name of simon says and he got banned from GMi...

I am glad he left this site. I will probably come more often.
What about me over there?:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.