post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Next Generation Ford Edge Losing V6s

Next Generation Ford Edge Losing V6s
Production to stay in Oakville
FordInsideNews.com
July 5, 2011
By: Austin Rutherford

The Ford Edge has proved to be a major success ever since its debut for MY07. It is currently the best selling mid-size CUV in the United States. Though the face-lifted Edge is just a little over a year old, Ford is hard at work on its next generation.

FordInsideNews has learned through its source within Ford that the design for the next generation Edge has been finalized. This new design has already been shown to a small group of employees who will be working on the engineering preceding its introduction.

Like the 2013 Ford Fusion/ Mondeo and Lincoln MkZ, the next Edge will switch to a derivative of the CD4 platform. The current Edge is on a derivative of CD3, which is featured under the current Fusion and MkZ. Through a supplier source, FIN can also tell you that the Edge will stay in its current facility in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.

The biggest news that we can share with you about the next generation Ford Edge is that it will not offer a V6 engine. Our source within Ford has informed FIN that it will use two inline-4 EcoBoost engines. The first of these engines will start to be offered, before the all-new generation comes out, for MY12. This engine is the 2.0 I4 EcoBoost. The other EcoBoost engine that launches with the new model will most likely feature a higher liter, possibly that of the recently rumored 2.3 or 2.5 EcoBoosts. Could this mean the 2013 Ford Fusion will be I4 only?

Unless future information says otherwise, FIN believes that the next Edge will be Ford’s first retail turbo-only vehicle since the RS200 was produced in Europe back in the 1980s.

With Ford promising weight reductions throughout their lineup, we can expect a decent cut in weight, this coming in part thanks to the lighter engines. One of the problems with the current Edge has been its rather porky engineering.

The next-generation Edge should be expected in dealerships as a MY14. As FIN obtains more information, we will bring it to you.

Related Articles:

Ford Planning Product Blitz for Q1 2012
Ford to Show New Lincolns to Employees in July
2013: The Year of the New "D" Cars
SVT: 2013 GT500 and Fiesta ST

Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Ford Falcon

Re: Next Generation Ford Edge Losing V6s

I wonder if the Lincoln MKX will retain the V6. If so, then I would think a V6 is possible in the Edge for a "Titanium" model.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Ford Focus ZX

So Edge-mini (Verscape) and Edge-Normal will both be I4 only? Seems hard to differentiate them. Wonder if Explorer will become Edge-XL when it eventually (a way out I assume) moves away from D3.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Ford Kuga

I would give the 2.0 and 2.3 I4 Ecoboost to Edge. I'd also give the2.3 I4 Ecoboost to MKX replacement, but also add a 2.3 I4 Ecoboost Hybrid as Lincoln exclusive, giving it a nice HP boost along the way.

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
I would give the 2.0 and 2.3 I4 Ecoboost to Edge. I'd also give the2.3 I4 Ecoboost to MKX replacement, but also add a 2.3 I4 Ecoboost Hybrid as Lincoln exclusive, giving it a nice HP boost along the way.
2.3 base with the exclusive Lincoln V6 maybe?

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Some of you need to start to understand that the days of an all 4-cylinder powered automobile lineup is just a few years away. When you look at the repugnant and punitive MPG standards that the party that hates automobiles (and loathes anything bigger than thoses) has heaped upon the automakers, you will have nothing but 4 cylinder engines standard in base vehicles of every sector.

As to the 4-cylinder Edge, I note that these are turbo-charged; the new Escape likely will start with non-turbocharged versions so there is a big difference already there between the two. And Ford does not build mediocre 4-cylinder products like Government Motors does with that boat anchor 1.4 turbo - which can't get out of its own way even at full throttle.

The author of this thread is consistently well informed and is appreciated. He's not some Chevrolet sycophant that fails to post informed Ford articles. What a breath of fresh air - and I doubt Rutherford will ever try to use an Explorer to snowplow through a snow bank and then whine cause it won't. Rutherford has common sense. Kudos!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Ford Ka

Will the Edge be twinned with the European S-Max/Galaxy?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Ford Focus

So I wonder what will power the Edge Sport or IF there will be a sport.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalberda View Post
Will the Edge be twinned with the European S-Max/Galaxy?
"twinned" ... don't think so, even if they (probably) share the new platform, cuz the S-Max/Galaxy (or at least the Galaxy) will have to stay 3-row.

it will be interesting to see how they allocate the engines, Ford Brand vs Lincoln - see EcoBoost Predictions thread

edit
was reminded elsewhere that it's also possible that some differentiation may wind up being whether either of both or ___ models get a specific (higher hp) EcoBoost engine in Fwd or Awd-only or both
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Ford Ka

Hmm... I kinda Like this idea It might give Lincoln something to boast about. Well... at least if they get a V-6 engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
edge, ford, generation, losing, v6s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page