LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

First Look: All-New Lincoln MkZ

The MkZ…Take Two
FordInsideNews.com
April 4, 2012
By: Austin Rutherford

Not long ago, Lincoln set out to reinvent itself in the eyes of the customer. At the New York International Show, they showed their first full effort with the all-new MkZ. To debut the car, Ford and Lincoln brought out many high level executives and moved their Lincoln stand away from Ford to separate the two brands.

Seeing the MkZ only in pictures does not do the new design justice. One needs to see it in person to appreciate not only the overall design, but the subtle cravings as well.

The new bow wave grill gives a much more authentic face to the brand than the past “cheese grater” or “baleen” designs. The horizontal lines fan out from the grill. Much like a wave, each piece has a curve in it that gives the grill more dimensions. The LED headlights

Moving onto the side, the grooves in the profile expand deeper along the length of the vehicle to give the vehicle large hips and a more aero look at a ¼ view of the vehicle.

The top half of the rear is very good looking with the thin body wide taillights. These taillights are highly stylized. The rear window design extends into the truck. Though this is not really glass, it still complements the design of the fenders very well. This also helps cover up the radio which had to be moved here due to the full glass roof.

The bottom of the rear is where things get dicey. Even though the tailpipes are integrated and have a nice design, the surrounding area is completely cheap black plastic. You would think with Lincoln wanting to hit the luxury market hard with the new MkZ, that this area would at least be painted. This leaves us with a very uneasy feeling due to the fact the all-new Fusion does not have this and has more put together, luxurious look to the lower rear end.

The interior is a pretty much a carry over from the concept shown in Detroit. Thanks to the gear shifter moving out of the center console, the area under it is now free and offers huge amounts of carrying space for bags, etc. The loss of the shifter also gives a more open feel to a front seat driver.

On short inspection of the seats, we found them comfortable enough, but we do think they could still use more padding. We believe this shortcoming is a result of some sharing still conducted with the Fusion.

Perhaps the most noticeable and annoying quality issue with the next MkZ is in the rear seat. Instead of extending the side of the bench seat to the door opening, Lincoln took the cheap route. This pre-production model, so hopefully this could change, had cheap plastic in this all-important place, which gave an unsettling feeling when getting into the rear passenger door. For instance, the new Chevy Impala had the seats extended to the doors. If a budget minded Impala can have a better quality back seat, there is no excuse for Lincoln to have it as well.

All in all, the Lincoln MkZ is an impressive start for Ford’s next mountain to climb. The next steps for Lincoln need to be to build upon this sound foundation and climb the rest of the way hopefully to the top of the luxury mountain.

Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM
FIN Moderator

Re: First Look: All-New Lincoln MkZ

^Great article! Thanks for mentioning the backseat and the lower bumper.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

I have a question for those that were there... did you guys see if it still offers the keyless entry keypad in the pillar? That is one feature I'd hate to lose it really comes in handy if I want to lock my keys in the car.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM
FIN Moderator

Jim Farley says how important craftsmanship and detail are and yet the MKZ doesn't completely have that. The backseat, center console, and the lower bumper are the things that bring it down in that area.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Ford Focus

But truthfully the backseat not extending to the door doesn't upset me and that because my family has an impala an i can't stand it touching door area it looks like it was squished making it feel cheaper. The new impala is an improvement, but not GM's best work. 2013 Malibu beats new imapala just like 2013 fusion beats taurus.
Also i like the center console it looks better then most in the industry. Lincoln took a step in the right direction and now can build upon the foundation set.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Ford Focus

Re does it have the keyless entry in the door post?.......Yes it sure does!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Focus RS WRC

Can anyone explain why pics have an antenna on the rear fender and live pics don't have that on the car.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
I have a question for those that were there... did you guys see if it still offers the keyless entry keypad in the pillar? That is one feature I'd hate to lose it really comes in handy if I want to lock my keys in the car.
It is there.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
Can anyone explain why pics have an antenna on the rear fender and live pics don't have that on the car.
We can not even explain that ourselves as of yet. All cars at the event at the antenna on the glass.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Focus RS WRC

Was anybody able to "test" the automatic deck-lid? Is that really opening and closing with the help of a little engine - like Mercedes and BMW have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
allnew, lincoln, mkz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page