Ford Inside News banner

2018 Ford F-150 debuts with fresh face, diesel power

18K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  gjrip 
#1 · (Edited)

Three years after introducing the aluminum-bodied F-150 pickup, Ford returns to the 2017 Detroit Auto Show with a refreshed version of its best-selling model. The big change is up front, where the new grille and headlight designs take center stage. But there’s a whole lot more to get excited about with the 2018 F-150, including long-awaited*diesel power.
The big story, of course, is the confirmation of a 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6, which will be paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission. That said, the diesel option won’t be available until the summer of 2018, and we won’t have official horsepower, torque, or fuel economy figures until that time. Ford representatives confirmed this is a version of the 3.0-liter diesel already sold overseas, a version of which is used in the Land Rover Range Rover and Range Rover Sport.
The 2018 F-150 gets a new base engine: a 3.3-liter V6 that’s expected to offer the same 282 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque as the 3.5-liter engine it replaces. It will come with a six-speed automatic transmission. The other engines are all carryover units from before – the 2.7- and 3.5-liter EcoBoost six-cylinders, and the 5.0-liter V8. Those three engines will all use the 10-speed automatic transmission, and are expected to boast gains in both performance and fuel economy. Of course, Ford won’t give us any numbers just yet, so stay tuned. Start-stop technology will be standard across all models and all engines, including the diesel.
Read more: http://www.motor1.com/news/133001/2018-ford-f150-truck-detroit/

See less See more
#2 ·
Media.Ford.com | Jan 8, 2017 | DEARBORN, Mich.
Ford Raises the Bar Again: New F-150 Pickup Is Even Tougher, Smarter, More Capable

• Even tougher: Featuring bolder Built Ford Tough style and segment-first high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy body

• Even smarter: Available class-exclusive Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection can automatically apply F-150 brakes to help prevent a collision with another vehicle or pedestrian, plus available WiFi hotspot can help you stay connected

• Even more capable: F-150 features the best towing ever – thanks to more powerful, efficient engine offerings that include standard Auto Start-Stop across the range, all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke® turbo diesel and expanded availability of segment-first 10-speed automatic transmission

• New F-150 is being previewed today during the 4 p.m. EST FOX NFL Wildcard Pregame Show – Ford is the Official Truck of the NFL – and revealed on Monday at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit

DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 8, 2017 – Ford, America’s truck leader, introduces the new 2018 Ford F-150 – now even tougher, even smarter and even more capable than ever.

Three years after first introducing the high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy-bodied Ford F-150, the new F-150 arrives with bold new front and rear styling, advanced technologies – including available Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection – and improved engines. The new engines include an all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke® V6 turbo diesel and enhanced V6 and V8 gas engines.

“Truck customers are constantly looking to improve their productivity, for work and for play,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford President, The Americas. “Since 1977, we’ve been America’s favorite truck, and we’ve never taken that leadership for granted. This new F-150 is our latest example of Ford’s commitment to going further for our customers through continuous innovation.”

The 2018 F-150 is part of the Ford F-Series truck lineup, America’s best-selling truck for 40 consecutive years and America’s best-selling vehicle for 35 years.

Ford is previewing the new truck today during the FOX NFL Wildcard Pregame Show, which airs starting at 4 p.m. today. Ford is the Official Truck of the NFL. The truck will be revealed on Monday at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Even tougher
The new F-150 delivers on its Built Ford Tough promise through a segment-exclusive combination of advanced materials that are durable and inhibit corrosion.

A high-strength steel fully boxed ladder frame and high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy body save weight and add capability, helping F-150 tow heavier trailers than ever and deliver best-in-class payload ratings.

The 2018 F-150 lineup is new with even tougher looks. From XL to top-of-the-line Limited, all Ford F-150 models receive new grilles, headlamps and bumpers that create a visually wider and more planted stance and maximum differentiation between the series. On the Sport Package-equipped Lariat F-150, the signature twin bars are painted body color for a custom athletic appearance.

Further enhancing its “milled from a block of high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy” look, the F-150 features six all-new wheel designs, ranging from 17 inches to 22 inches in diameter.

A new sculpted tailgate with deeper accent form and stamped “F-150” are flanked by new tail lamp designs. For further style differentiation, a tailgate applique adds a horizontal element to King Ranch, Platinum and Limited versions.

F-150 also brings two new seating trim colors – Dark Marsala for F-150 Platinum, while top-of-the-line F-150 Limited offers a Navy Pier environment. New trim offerings including carbon fiber appearance appliques on F-150 XLT Sport and Lariat Sport models, while the famed F-150 King Ranch features new Kingsville Appointed seats.

Even smarter
Ford F-150 advances the light-duty pickup truck segment again with segment-first and class-exclusive technologies that improve productivity, efficiency and driver confidence, while keeping occupants connected to the world around them.

• New enhanced segment-first available adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go functionality allows drivers to set a cruising speed. They then use radar and camera technology to monitor traffic ahead to maintain a set distance between vehicles – even following a vehicle down to a complete stop.

• New, segment-first available Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection helps the driver avoid or mitigate collisions with vehicles and pedestrians.

• With a new available embedded 4G LTE modem for a Wi-Fi hot spot, customers can connect up to 10 mobile devices at one time, virtually anywhere.

• New B&O PLAY available audio system takes advantage of high-end speakers, sound and tuning to deliver a richer, more engaging listening experience.

These technologies join existing segment-exclusive driver assist and convenience features that include:

• Available SYNC® and SYNC 3 with FordPass enables compatibility of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – plus mobility services to help customers move more efficiently

• Available 360-degree camera technology helps improve driver confidence when parking and can help reduce stress when connecting a trailer – allowing customers to see more so they can focus on specific tasks such as lining up a hitch

• Available lane-keeping system is designed to help reduce unintentional drifting of the vehicle outside the intended lane

• Available Blind Spot Information System with trailer tow technology is optimized for F-150 to include the length of a trailer up to 33 feet; BLIS® uses radar sensors in the taillamps to monitor areas that may not be visible to the driver

Even more capable
Ford builds on its performance leadership by offering the most advanced F-150 engine lineup ever, plus the best towing capability of any F-150 ever.

The new F-150 introduces an all-new, standard 3.3-liter V6 engine, with direct-injection for increased efficiency. The 3.3-liter V6 is expected to offer the same 282 horsepower and 253 lb.-ft. of torque as the previous model’s standard 3.5-liter V6.

An all-new second-generation 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine features advanced dual port and direct injection technology, reduced internal friction and improved robustness – all for improved levels of output, efficiency, quality and durability. Like the 3.5-liter EcoBoost, the 2.7-liter EcoBoost will be paired to the segment-exclusive 10-speed automatic transmission for 2018.

The 5.0-liter V8 also sees improvements in 2018, as the naturally aspirated engine features significant upgrades for increased power and torque. It’s also paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission for the first time.

The 2018 F-150 also adds an available all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine, designed, engineered and tested in-house and paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission. It’s the first-ever diesel engine offered for F-150.

In addition to the segment-first 10-speed automatic, the Ford F-150 is now the first full-size pickup truck to add automatic start/stop as standard equipment across all models and engines.

The new 2018 F-150 goes on sale this fall. It will be built at Dearborn Truck Plant in Dearborn, Michigan, and Kansas City Assembly Plant in Claycomo, Missouri.

#7 ·
Correct, we were looking in the wrong direction, improving the base engine may be more important
than we imagine if they're going to fleet buyers who value fuel economy in a low cost crew cab.

Perhaps Ford has seen something in customer feedback that inspired this change, maybe it's as simple
as matching GM 4.3 AFM and getting a few more base model work truck sales...

#6 · (Edited)
This is the BMW of trucks. Every single tech, luxury and safety item Ford is capable to put in a vehicle , is in a F series truck. Only the 30 way adjustments "miracle" seats of the Continental are missed here. But, who know..... Maybe a future F-150 Blackwood Edition will have it... :wink2:

#9 · (Edited)
The new 3.3L was developed with a bias toward efficiency. Combined with the 10 speed, it should perform slightly better, but fuel economy will really improve.

But I think that the 5.0L hooked with the 10 speed is what I would get. Huge gains in torque and better economy too.

Edit: just noticed that base V6 does not come with 10 speed.

#12 · (Edited)
"The 2018 F-150 also adds an available all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine, designed, engineered and tested in-house and paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission. It’s the first-ever diesel engine offered for F-150."

"The updated engines should help improve the truck’s fuel-economy ratings, which haven’t beat Fiat Chrysler’s segment-leading Ram, even after Ford’s lightweighting efforts. The most recent F-150 with a 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine gets 19 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and 22 mpg combined, trailing the Ram 1500 diesel engine’s 21 mpg city, 29 mpg highway and 24 mpg combined rating."

"The biggest change, the diesel engine option, aims to appeal to truck customers who tow and haul more than usual. The 3.0-liter will be a variant of the Lion diesel engine that Ford builds for use in Land Rover and Jaguar vehicles. It will be produced in England."

"“I have no doubt when you combine a lightweight body, 10-speed automatic transmission, and a 3-liter diesel V-6, there’s definitely the possibility of tying or being the most fuel-efficient half-ton, and I wouldn’t rule out it becoming the most fuel-efficient pickup,” Sullivan said."

-Autonews

- With the F-150 being abut 700 lbs lighter than the Ram diesel truck, I am sure Ford knows the aluminum F-150 Diesel + 10-Speed + auto stop start will look more like 23 city, 32 highway

The 2017 Land Rover Sport with Ford's current gen 3.0L V6 Diesel
Horsepower: 254 hp
MPG: 22 city / 29 highway
Engine: 3.0 L V6 diesel

2017 F-150: Curb weight: 4,049 to 5,236 lbs
2017 Land Rover Sport: Curb weight: 4,727 lbs

#13 ·
#14 ·
The Ram EcoDiesel actually weighs about 1,000lbs more than a Ford with the 2.7L.
I think that Ford's new Diesel will put it closer to the 700lb advantage, gaining about 300lbs of Diesel related weight.
So the combined weight advantage AND 10 speed gearing, will easily put Ford's Diesel well over the Ram in fuel economy. And more importantly, better work and play performance. I don't buy the argument that people who buy Diesel trucks suddenly don't care about good acceleration. The EcoDiesel is a slug. I don't expect the Ford to be nearly as bad.

But my opinion on Diesels has not changed. I don't like them and they cost too much.
I love that Ford is bolstering it's gas V8 line for SD. You pay up to $10K more for Diesel in heavy trucks. Most just don't need it.

#15 · (Edited)
"The long-awaited light-duty turbodiesel V6 arrives for 2018, but buyers will still have to wait a little longer for it. This 3.0-liter Ford-developed diesel won't be available until summer of 2018, while the rest of the revamped F-150s will go on sale in the fall of this year."
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/08/2018-ford-f-150-power-stroke-details/

"Ford is also claiming this will be the “best-towing F-150 ever,” aided in part by strengthening the rear frame and improving how the hitch is attached."
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/refreshed-2018-ford-f-150-adds-power-stroke-diesel-tech/

#16 ·
I really think Ford did a great job on the refesh, love the front end! Eager to see some power figures on the updated engines and the new ones as well. The Sport version looks really good, wish Ford would offer that package on the Super Duty as well.

#21 ·
I hope your comment on huge gains in torque hold to be true. Offering the 10 spd with the 5.0 just kept me in a Ford truck. It would be nice to see the 5.0 trump GM's 420 hp 6.2! Hopefully Ford will see fit to offer factory dual exhaust with the 5.0 and match Ram. Since the Ram redesign in 2009, in my area 85% of Ram 1500 have factory duals, so a lot of people must like the looks and sound of a V8 with duals. Around 40% have the twin scoop hood as well. Maybe Ford will offer something similar to the Shelby hood as well. Anyway a lot better info than last fall with the intro of the 2017!

#25 ·
I hope your comment on huge gains in torque hold to be true. Offering the 10 spd with the 5.0 just kept me in a Ford truck. It would be nice to see the 5.0 trump GM's 420 hp 6.2! Hopefully Ford will see fit to offer factory dual exhaust with the 5.0 and match Ram. Since the Ram redesign in 2009, in my area 85% of Ram 1500 have factory duals, so a lot of people must like the looks and sound of a V8 with duals. Around 40% have the twin scoop hood as well. Maybe Ford will offer something similar to the Shelby hood as well. Anyway a lot better info than last fall with the intro of the 2017!
It should come darn close, if not match hp. But it won't surpass 6.2L big torque. The healthy bump in torque I speak of mostly comes from higher CR, allowed through DI.

I have see the numbers for Mustang, but not truck, but if I were to guess hard numbers for truck,

hp = 415 (was 385)
Tq = 420 (was 387)

#24 ·
Mustang isnt being shown. Chris Doane Automotive LLC posted on Facebook "There's a private event scheduled for Tuesday in Dearborn where, apparently, Ford will show the facelifted Mustang to members of the media. Everything shown at this event will be embargoed. So if the Mustang is there, it certainly won't be at NAIAS"

Expedition will be there. Also curious what else is going on, I got an invite to a live stream from them tomorrow at 9am ET and the name of it is The City of Tomorrow.

#26 ·
Trying to get caught up on news had a nightmare of a business trip this weekend flew into a winter storm out of Richmond one of the bumpiest flights I've ever been on and had a layover in Atlanta Friday night and got stuck there overnight due to their winter storm they got at the same time. Didn't get home till 4 PM yesterday and went straight to bed.

Really cool stuff though that I am seeing on this. Also shocked on the 3.3! ehaase beat me to it I am going to guess that the 3.3 will be replacing the 3.5 and 3.7 engines soon. The blue with the black honeycomb grille are my favorite so far.

Reactions: 2b2 and ehaase
#29 ·
reveal of the '18 F150 on the Fox NFL Pregame show
Joe Hinrichs - Executive Vice President and President, The Americas, Ford Motor Company - and Terry Bradshaw – 4-time Super Bowl champ and Hall-of-Fame former Pittsburgh Steelers QB – take you through the last 40 years of Ford F-Series and introduce you to the future with the new 2018 F-150​

also

#35 ·
I used my brother’s aluminum truck many times over the summer on a backyard project that had me hauling all kinds of stuff, including landscaping rocks. And like I would do with any truck I would use for similar hauling, I put a sheet of plywood down. $12 insurance. Or, for about $50, you can get a custom fit heavy black matt, that also has a small piece to attach on inside of gate. There is also a spray bed liner that really increases durability, looks great too. Factory or dealer option, I forget which. And finally, there is the very durable bed liners available today.

The Chevy commercial had none of the above, when they dropped a heavy jagged rocks from about 12 feet in the air. If they did, they would not have a commercial.

I don’t know how dumb Chevy owners are, but Ford owners don’t treat their $50K machines like they are $20 rentals.

#36 ·
I don't think anyone sees that commercial as a real thing truck owners do. But accidents happen. A forklift operator loses the load a little early. A backhoe drops a little too high.

The security of knowing your bed won't puncture is definitely something worth marketing. And as far as Ford is concerned, imho, something worth addressing.

Also don't forget, contractors absolutely would treat a company truck like that.

Reactions: 70 Stang
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.