2018 Ford F-150 debuts with fresh face, diesel power - Page 6 - Ford Inside News Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Ford Kuga

Re: 2018 Ford F-150 debuts with fresh face, diesel power

The one picture shows them off loading a 4-wheeler, with the tailgate down. I thought I remeber from long ago, that when loading something that heavy, you were supposed to drop the tailgate(disconnect the supports) and ramp it directly to the truck.

Are tailgates stronger now, or is my memory fading in proportion to my hairline?

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Focus RS WRC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
The one picture shows them off loading a 4-wheeler, with the tailgate down. I thought I remeber from long ago, that when loading something that heavy, you were supposed to drop the tailgate(disconnect the supports) and ramp it directly to the truck.

Are tailgates stronger now, or is my memory fading in proportion to my hairline?
Not sure if they've gotten stronger, but I've loaded large item like quads and lawmowers in the back on my old F150 just buy putting the rams on the tailgate. Both brother and I have sat on the tailgate too and we both pretty big guys.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Ford Sport Ka

Quote:

You must be thinking of Toyota Tundra tailgates. They had an issue with warping when loading ATVs. I don't recall Ford tailgates ever having an issue. We've always loaded things right across the tailgates.
2b2 and LEDandSafety like this.

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post

This is a really nice looking truck. And I don't even want a truck.

I hope the refreshed Ranger looks a whole lot like a smaller version of this F-150.
I just noticed....the lower models have F-150 stamped in the tailgate AND an F-150 badge? Seems unnecessary to me.
Bloggin likes this.

Current Vehicle:
2009 AWD Flex Limited
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof | Navigation | PowerFold™ 40/40 2nd Row/Console | Refrigerator | Aftermarket dual headrest DVD System | PowerCode™ Remote Start | Towing Package | 22" Edge Sport wheels
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Focus RS

Quote:
I don't think the tailgate is the big concern, it's the cables that hold it in the down position. Those are what the weight is being transferred to. I had an S10 when I was younger, & the protective plastic sleeve was damaged letting the steel cable get exposure to the elements. One day with a full keg of beer on the tailgate (& my weight), one cable snapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
I just noticed....the lower models have F-150 stamped in the tailgate AND an F-150 badge? Seems unnecessary to me.
I read somewhere that was common for the preproduction trucks. The decision makers wanted to see both options & judge which looked better. But, luxury models that get the brightwork on the tailgate (KR, Limited, etc.) will not have the logo stamped into the tailgate. They will get a badge on the trim panel. The lower priced models (XL, XLT, etc.) won't get the badge, but get the stamped tailgate.
2b2 likes this.

AKA: NoStopN--
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccaSVT View Post
I read somewhere that was common for the preproduction trucks. The decision makers wanted to see both options & judge which looked better. But, luxury models that get the brightwork on the tailgate (KR, Limited, etc.) will not have the logo stamped into the tailgate. They will get a badge on the trim panel. The lower priced models (XL, XLT, etc.) won't get the badge, but get the stamped tailgate.
Yeah, I knew the upper models didn't have the stamping, but I didn't know whether the lower ones had the badge too....it makes sense that they wouldn't, and that these pictures were taken before a decision was made.

Current Vehicle:
2009 AWD Flex Limited
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof | Navigation | PowerFold™ 40/40 2nd Row/Console | Refrigerator | Aftermarket dual headrest DVD System | PowerCode™ Remote Start | Towing Package | 22" Edge Sport wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page