Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln MKC refresh (spy photos)

7K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·

The last vestiges of the controversial split Lincoln grille are slowly being removed as the company revamps its lineup. It started with the MKZ and Continental, with the most recent rhinoplasty recipient being the Navigator. Now, based on spy shots, it looks like the MKC crossover will be the fourth to get the new corporate grille.

Under the heavy vinyl coverings, we can clearly see the proud Continental-inspired grille. We can also see that it will feature the same chrome mesh with Lincoln badge-shaped openings found on other cars with the grille design. We can also assume that the headlights will receive a substantial refresh, but the lower bumper doesn't look particularly different.
Read More: http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/15/lincoln-mkc-crossover-adopts-continentals-grille/#slide-5339776

See less See more
#2 ·
humm....so a MY2019 refresh until a new model for MY2021? It did just launch as a MY2015 so it will only be 4 MY old as of MY2018. Confused.

The new front grille is obvious, but hope there rear lights are pulled to the edge of the clamshell hatch, to clean up the profile, along with upgrading the exhaust with an integrated design like the concept and the MKX.

#4 · (Edited)
humm....so a MY2019 refresh until a new model for MY2021? It did just launch as a MY2015 so it will only be 4 MY old as of MY2018. Confused.

The new front grille is obvious...
imho it all depends on when they're getting their factory-deficiency solved
&
think the pix are bigger:
is it obvious which grille insert this is?
looks like a blend of STARshadow & Z-mesh to me

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
This appears to be a fairly basic modification of the front fascia, even the lower fascia appears to be mostly carried over despite the new grille, hood, and headlights. You can also see the existing taillights under the camo so my guess is that not much is actually changing back there. The lights are probably the same but they might resculp some areas of the hatch. I don't think an MCE was unexpected since Ford and Lincoln rarely shorten the life of any major investment. They have to get at least 7-8 years out of a major design with an MCE in-between. So either they extend the life of the existing Escape into the next decade, or they just chart separate paths for these products. With the 2017 MCE, the next Escape can't arrive sooner than MY 2020 anyway.

I kinda like it, it's probably going to look even more like the original Audi Q5 than it already did but that's not such a bad thing. I think the interior needs the most work but we'll probably just get some beefed up trim and new switchgear, I'm just not a fan of the 'chin' hanging off the dash.

#8 ·
There is no need for Excape to wait for MKC .... That is why we have flexible manufacturing. Ford has 2 (3?) Na factories capable of building C-cars. So as the new architecture begins rolling out you will see a gradual shift of models from C1/C2 to the the architecture.

Ford has been a little too secretive about the C-car replacements and its electrification / autonomy plans. All the Ford platforms (besdes F150) are OLD ..refreshes of refreshes dating back to 2004 or earlier and Ford needs to be giving insiders the right cues that it's aware of its position and just sit tight, we're on plan and it's coming in 2019 and it will tick all the boxes for what the new platform needs to do (C-E size, car and CUV, HED-EV, autonomy, FWD, RWD, AWD, virtual AWD and whatnot. )

#10 · (Edited)
There is no need for Excape to wait for MKC .... That is why we have flexible manufacturing...
"we"?
YOU may have flexible manufacturing, Igor, BUT
I've NEVER seen any evidence that Fomoco has flexible manufacturing ... like Other mfgs who are talked about as having 18-wheelers alternate with Kei-cars down the same assemblyline​
(minor exaggeration ;))

...Ford has 2 (3?) N.A. factories capable of building C-cars...
I count ONE = Louisville << correction
them F.F.F.s don't count cuz you-know
( FereignFerdFactorys)

...Ford has been a little too secretive about the C-car replacements and its electrification...
I wouldn't say "secretive"
I'd say, "when's the last time Fomoco intro'ed a New E-vehicle-model-trim-option**?"
(KAHN!! ...I mean... Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
nergi _______________
)

...All the Ford platforms (besides F150) are OLD ..refreshes of refreshes dating back to 2004 or earlier and Ford needs to...
...FIGURE OUT HOW TOYLETTA GETS AWAY WITH THAT
(.)

#9 · (Edited)
Without showing the products 3 years in advance, how much more open is Ford suppose to be about their plans? They've talked allot about future products and I think there is very little ambiguity about their ambitions (it was part of Field's final death throws to reassure investors). If you're paying attention to Ford press communications then we all know what they are planning but we also know it's still fairly distant so it's not relevant to the public and Ford doesn't really have anything to see yet since it's still too early.

As for Escape, the next one could be built alongside the existing MKC, but they originally wanted to move MKC so who knows if product plans have changed.

#11 ·
Hey 2b2 ...

For factories, I mean C-cars in general Fpcus, C-max, TC, Escape, MKC ... sure we have them split in Luisville and MMP / Mexico ... but they are close enough that they can run on the same line.

The transition from one platform to another is always gradual, and you will invariably see C2 and C3 cars on the same line / same plant at the same time. I mean -- TC i unlikely to just stop production when Focus comes out and unlikely to be immediately redesigned and relaunched along with the focus.

Yeah .. .Ford really needs to begin leaking info on its new platform / architecture this fall. I hope that will be the new CEO's top priority. We get it - at times you're at the EOL of a major platform and the portfolio looks old ... that happens ... but Ford needs to start building the hype for the new cars and especially begin looking less clueless about the future.

I denfniitely do hope the coming MKC refresh does not mean a delay to the new c-architecture.

#12 · (Edited)
^ yeah
- I'm just looking at U.S factories: only Louisville will be left when MAP converts to Ranger next year
- I'd sooo love it if they added a Virtual-Awd Hybrid to the MKC (just on the rear wheels)((esp 1.5T3cyl from the 2018 Fiesta ST = 197hp/200PS/147kW + 118hp/88kw electrics = min.228hp-to-300ish total
...for a plugish-Z too!))

TTAC: ...As for power, expect a return of the 2.o-liter and 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinders, likely mated to a nine-speed automatic transmission jointly developed by Ford and GM...
afaik
the 9speed won't be before cy2018/2019my - don't remember When the BON-guys said production starts

#13 · (Edited)
It's not typical for Ford plants to run several generations of a platform class alongside each other, but it's certainly doable since the next C-platform appears to be a variation rather than a completely unrelated product.

I think it's possible that the 2 year gap might shrink to 1 year if the next-gen MKC launches in MY 2021, a year after the Escape is expected which is fairly typical for them. The MKC could even go on extended hiatus like the MKX did so they could spend 6+ months out of production and coast on large inventory, in that case they wouldn't actually be made at the same time.

Then there is Chinese production, we don't know what small SUV they are going to build there but that may play some roll in this. Escape could probably use the capacity once a new model launches so it would be nice if they could just import the MKC from China, Lincoln's bestseller in the country.

#18 ·
Just a refresh to update the front and possibly update the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.