Ford Inside News banner

Ford’s Board of Directors '"86's" Mark Fields - update

71K views 327 replies 28 participants last post by  jpd80 
#1 · (Edited)
jump to post#107, May 22, for the actual-official announcement

Ford's Board Turns Up Heat on CEO
MSN / The Wall Street Journal
- Christina Rogers and Joann S. Lublin - 5 hours ago

Ford Motor Co.’s board of directors is extending its scheduled meetings this week so it can press Chief Executive Mark Fields to clarify his strategy as the company’s stock price languishes and its U.S. market share recedes, according to people familiar with the situation.

Company directors, slated to gather this week ahead of the annual shareholders meeting, scheduled an additional day of meetings to address growing uncertainty about the auto maker’s course, these people said. Ford has been solidly profitable since Mr. Fields became CEO in July 2014, but shares have fallen by about a third in that period.

“We do not share details or discussions from our board meetings for competitive reasons,” a Ford spokesman said. “We also are unable to comment on rumors or speculation.”

Ford shares traded at $11.17 Tuesday afternoon.

Founded in 1903 by one of the industry’s most iconic figures, Henry Ford, the auto maker was dealt a blow in early April when its market capitalization fell below electric-car startup Tesla Inc.

Tesla is valued at $52.1 billion, or 15% higher than Ford’s, despite the Silicon Valley electric-car company’s financial losses. Tesla sells a fraction of the volume delivered by Detroit’s auto companies, but is seen as having a lead in electric vehicles and self-driving cars.

When asked about Tesla’s surge during an earnings call last month, Mr. Fields said Ford needs to do a better job quantifying revenue and profit-growth potential of its technology bets. “We’ve talked about the investments, and we’ll do that going forward,” he said.

While Chairman Bill Ford and other directors support Mr. Fields, they are urging him to heighten his focus on growth opportunities, the people said.

Mr. Fields, a 28-year veteran of Ford, took the helm after his predecessor, Alan Mulally, restructured the company by selling off brands and simplifying operations. Mr. Mulally, currently a member of Alphabet Inc.’s board, oversaw an extensive succession race that included members of Mr. Fields’s current management team. He also helped the No. 2 U.S. auto maker avoid bankruptcy, unlike its Detroit rivals.

Mr. Fields has focused on accelerating growth in Asia, jump-starting the company’s Lincoln brand and placing bets on future technologies.

Ford is facing pressure as the U.S. auto market is leveling off after seven consecutive years of growth. The auto maker’s profits have been dented by falling sales and vehicle-recall costs.

The company also is shouldering higher costs as Mr. Fields seeks to venture beyond its core business of building and selling cars. He is pushing into new areas such as ride-sharing and autonomous vehicles and placing bets on new initiatives that could reduce exposure to the auto industry’s boom-bust cycles.

Ford’s closest rival, General Motors Co., also is investing in technology and is far ahead on electric cars. Ford doesn’t plan to launch a long-range battery-powered vehicle until 2020.

At the same time, Silicon Valley firms including Alphabet, Apple Inc., Intel Corp. and a number of startups are acquiring auto suppliers and spending billions on vehicle testing in a bid to unseat Detroit.

- - - - - - -

Ford's Board Said to Question CEO on Strategy as Shares Lag
Bloomberg
- by Keith Naughton - May 9, 2017...updated

Ford Motor Co.’s board of directors is turning up the pressure on Chief Executive Officer Mark Fields to better explain the company’s fading fortunes and his plan to turn things around, according to a person familiar with the discussions.

The directors scheduled extra time in their meetings this week in advance of Thursday’s annual shareholders meeting so they could question Fields on his strategy as Ford’s stock continues to stall, said the person, who asked not to be identified revealing internal deliberations. The shares have fallen 35 percent since Fields became CEO July 1, 2014.

Investors have been indifferent to Fields’ plan to pour billions into new technologies like driverless cars and robo-taxis to take on upstarts like Uber Technologies Inc. and Waymo, Alphabet Inc.’s self-driving spinoff. Ford’s traditional automotive business has struggled more than crosstown rival General Motors Co. as the U.S. auto market declines following seven years of growth. Ford’s first quarter adjusted earnings fell 42 percent, while GM appears on pace for another record annual profit.

“This is the first public sign that the board is becoming impatient,” said David Whiston, an analyst with Morningstar Inc. in Chicago. “It’s likely proof that the board is frustrated with the stock price languishing for the past several years. It may be a grilling session for Mark.”...

...Fields has defended his strategy of trying to transform Ford into a mobility company that will field robot taxis in 2021 and develop ride sharing services that are essential to the 114-year-old company’s survival.

“We’re having one foot in today and one foot in tomorrow,” Fields said on Bloomberg Television April 27 of his dual strategy to invest in the autonomous future while defending Ford’s turf in the car and truck market.

Dual Strategy
That dual strategy is proving difficult to pull off, said Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst with Cox Automotive.

“They’re in a tough position because they have to focus on selling products today, making money, paying dividends,” Krebs said. “And yet they’ve got to position themselves for the future and there’s not going to be a payback on that anytime soon.”

A Ford spokesman declined to comment on the board meeting.

“We do not share details or discussions from our board meetings for competitive reasons,” Mike Moran, the spokesman, said in an emailed statement. “We also are unable to comment on rumors or speculation.”

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier the board’s plan to question Fields.

Ford’s shares closed Tuesday at $11.16 in New York, up 0.3 percent.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Ford’s Board of Directors -Vs- Mark Fields?

I guess they could always tip their hand on key future products or strategies like 2-3 years in advance. Seems to work for the competition just fine. And honestly, the competition needs years to replicate or trump over anyway, so why not.

Roll out Lincoln's strategy for starters, up to 2020.
Push ahead any electrification reveals, at least partially. Perhaps some specs, strategy, etc.
Or dam it, just show us the Ranger and Bronco concept, even if it is computer generated.
Why keep that so dam secret.

#4 ·

I guess they could always tip their hand on key future products or strategies like 2-3 years in advance. Seems to work for the competition just fine. And honestly, the competition needs years to replicate or trump over anyway, so why not.

Roll out Lincoln's strategy for starters, up to 2020.
Push ahead any electrification reveals, at least partially. Perhaps some specs, strategy, etc.
Or dam it, just show us the Ranger and Bronco concept, even if it is computer generated.
Why keep that so dam secret.
I suspect the biggest issue with revealing even medium term plans is that they are subject to change and/or outright cancellation. Take D6 for example, if they had ever publicly confirmed its existence along with how Lincoln will utilize it only to cancel the platform due to economic issues that would be a big black eye. If the successor to Continental turns out to be nothing more than CD4+ it's not because D6 failed, it's because D6 never existed.... officially.

But yeah, show us the ****ing Bronco already! Don't show us the Ranger, we already know it's a mildly modified ROW T6 Ranger.

#6 ·

I wonder if everything is a secret because after changing around plans for Mexico,
the schedule has become very light...

Rethinking new plants and consolidating car products might be a sign of things to come..

#7 ·

Tesla is losing money and has a market value 15% higher than Ford, that have solid profits. Clearly, is a PR problem.

Let the public know what is the future of Ford.... show us the exciting new models to come (really , they exist?) , give us some fun with some concepts cars, talk about the electrification plans and give us a glimpse about thems ( like VW, Audi and Tesla). And show us how great are the plans for Lincoln.

#19 ·

Tesla is losing money and has a market value 15% higher than Ford, that have solid profits. Clearly, is a PR problem.

Let the public know what is the future of Ford.... show us the exciting new models to come (really , they exist?) , give us some fun with some concepts cars, talk about the electrification plans and give us a glimpse about thems ( like VW, Audi and Tesla). And show us how great are the plans for Lincoln.
I agree. Ford does a poor job with PR by trying to keep so much of what consumers are asking for a secret.

For example, We should know what the next Lincoln vehicles are going to be directly from Lincoln. We should have more details directly from Ford about the new architecture of the C-segment vehicles. We should have more details on the new hybrid, plug-in hybrid and EV platform as well.

And seriously, 2020 is way too late for Ford to finally be offering their first EV platform.....GM is so far ahead. Think about it, Ford has not even upgraded the battery pack in the Energi models since they launched in 2013. Ford seems to be notorious for leaping ahead and falling way behind. And in the EV world, Ford is seen as not even trying.

We don't see VW, BMW, MB, GM, Nissan, Hyundai, etc having any competition problems by sharing their newest vehicle innovations with the public. Dry spells and last minute surprises don't work well with investors. Why invest in a company where you have no idea what their future plans are?

Electrified Vehicles? What does that mean? It could be a mild hybrid, hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or EV. Ford really need to start getting specific so the public/investors know what they are capable of. Because right now, Ford seems all over the place with more focus on 'mobility' than new vehicles/platforms.

Where is the US Ranger and Bronco Concepts? Ford actually has web pages with blank spaces where the concepts should be for months.

Instead, from Ford we get PR about a special cup holder, how a seat is filled with milk bottles, or they can make a recycled materials. Or we get 500 trim levels for the same F-150 or Mustang. This is good stuff but does not take the place of actual new and future vehicles, riding on new and future drivetrains. Essentially we are getting lots of icing but none of the cake.

So hopefully Ford has figured out that the secrets they are trying to keep from the competition are keeping investors from investing in the company.

Ford and Lincoln seriously need to work on their product PR.

#8 · (Edited)

EVs... Autonomous vehicles...
I'm actually more interested in the future of Ford's core global vehicles, the ones that actually pay the bills.

I wish Ford tried to solve the PowerShift issue early on before moving its attention to some mobility-autonomous-ideas.
I just found out some recent Ford models still have PowerShift reliability issues.

#10 ·

Bring back Mercury. There was a time when Ford Motor loyalists could choose a similar size Mercury, if they did not like the look of a Ford model. Now, they have too many choices outside the company, and none within.

Right now, Lincoln is ok, but what does the future look like. They seem to be afraid to go too low, but refuse to go higher.
Mercury could be a performance/premium brand based on Ford platforms. Think discount Audi or Pontiac done right!
MKZ, MKC, MKX could be rebadged/restlyed for Mercury. They would also get Explorer, Mustang, and Focus ST and RS variants.

Lincoln could then....well...be Lincoln.
Continental and Navigator would be the only Lincolns offered for a short period. First priority would be luxury/performance CUVs. If they cannot get a platform on their own accord, do a joint venture with someone to get a decent CUV/SUV lineup. The next Continental could be on a Lincoln platform that would have three wheelbase lengths. This should also spawn two coupes using the smallest and largest wheelbase, and use Continental name as well. All 5 variations of Continental could be made on the same prodcution line.

What a line up that would be!

#11 ·

Fields is working hard to align the company for near term growth and long term preparation, in a rapidly changing industry that will soon hit an inflection point. No easy task, at all. I like his approach, but yeah, get the message out there. He is really good at communicating weekly to all Ford employees, something btw that no previous CEO has done (certainly no Alan), but Fields needs to include a bigger global audience, and all will be just fine.

#20 · (Edited)

Fields is working hard to align the company for near term growth and long term preparation, in a rapidly changing industry that will soon hit an inflection point. No easy task, at all.
There is no doubt that Fields knows what he is doing. Clearly his focus is clearly on the future developments of the auto industry which will occur very rapidly. Ford needs to be ready when that point comes. Unfortunately, investors and board members care only about the here and now and how well that translates into profit. Its a very delicate situation.

Another comment said that Ford needs to bring back Mercury. This is simply something Ford cannot do; at least right now. Lincoln needs to be established before anything remotely related to this takes place. If the new platform (CD6) is not ready this will be a major impediment to Lincolns future growth. However its not impossible to overcome.

As we've seen with the new Navigator, when Ford's are designed around Lincoln's it works well and ends up benefiting both brands. Ford could take this approach with future models even if the platforms are shared with Fords. Heck, if Volkswagen can get away with putting a Bentley, Audi, and a Volkswagen on the same platform (D platform) it could work for Ford - if done right. Of course, a modular platform with a RWD capable configuration for Lincoln would be ideal but Ford may have to get creative to achieve their ends if things get much tighter.

#12 · (Edited)

If I was a shareholder I would be unnerved by Fields communications that sound like to me that he wants to move away from being a auto manufacturer and be something else(rent a car/driver, robo vehicles). IMO, not a very good message no matter how well he says it. His message about what is coming right now is clear as mud, with a bunch of 2020 and onwards maybe stuff.
At least his disruptive theme is spot on :)

#28 ·

If I was a shareholder I would be unnerved by Fields communications that sound like to me that he wants to move away from being a auto manufacturer and be something else(rent a car/driver, robo vehicles).
I sure hope Ford just reskinning the Fiesta for 2018 wasn't because it diverted its funds to Autonomous Vehicle Technology (Ford is investing $1 billion during the next five years in Argo AI).

#13 ·

With electrification and more importantly - a shift (my guess it will be a BIG shift) to autonomous vehicles, it could seriously change the way people look and buy cars. This is something that ALL automakers need to watch and prepare for.

#14 ·

article with a 'Part 2' for a broader view...

Pressure mounts on Ford, CEO Fields
The Detroit News
| Ian Thibodeau and Daniel Howes | Published May 9, 2017 | Updated 5 hours ago

...Ford isn’t the only Detroit automaker beset with impatient shareholders. General Motors Co. shares are trading only slightly higher than its 2010 initial public offering price of $33 a share, despite record earnings since emerging from its historic 2009 bankruptcy.

Greenlight Capital Inc. and its President David Einhorn want GM to create one class of stock to receive dividends and another that would participate in earnings, cash flow and future growth. It’s also seeking to add three board members. GM is opposed to the plan.

The automaker and Greenlight, which owns 52 million shares of GM, have been exchanging proxy jabs and letters to shareholders in recent weeks. GM’s annual shareholders meeting is June 6 in Detroit.

In a note to investors earlier this month, Barclays Capital Inc. said owning automaker stocks is tough given the U.S. cycle concerns...

#15 · (Edited)

Fields has been extremely transparent about Ford's investments and plans centering around electrification, autonomous technology, mobility services, and SUVs. I have never seen any car company make so many announcements about spending and far-future products as Ford has done under Fields. Fields is savvy enough to know that Ford's current and short-term outlook is pretty soft, especially to investors and the press so that's why they've been pushing so many press releases. So I can certainly understand the Board's concern and I'm sure they'll have much more confidence once he reiterates their plans. But beyond that Ford is not a company that is light and nimble on its feet so its really too late to complain now. They have to let it play out through 2020. In the interim I do expect Ford's marketshare to decline and they may just barely escape red ink in the next 16 months, but Fields has been constantly reorganizing and restructuring their business to help ease their transition to the next decade which should be promising. I think what he'll have to do is explain why they have lost more sales in cars than anybody and why their immediate SUV position has grown so stagnant. Ford's profits and marketshare are now precariously tied to a single massively profitable product but they've played that card better than anybody at a time when they can benefit the most from it. Once GM's new trucks come along and the F-Series ages and margins begin to fall back to normal, things will likely get much uglier around 2019. Fortunately they have lots of new stuff coning then. Nothing Ford does seems unplanned which is always reassuring.

And ultimately, I don't think they board full appreciates the softening in the market that is coming and only see the current state of things.

#18 · (Edited)

...I can certainly understand the Board's concern and I'm sure they'll have much more confidence once he reiterates their plans... ...In the interim I do expect Ford's marketshare to decline and they may just barely escape red ink in the next 16 months...
...Ford's profits and marketshare are now precariously tied to a single massively profitable product... ...Fortunately they have lots of new stuff coning then. Nothing Ford does seems unplanned which is always reassuring.

And ultimately, I don't think the board full appreciates the softening in the market that is coming and only see the current state of things.
next 16 months will include Lioncoln's resurgence (mis-spelling left intentionally) = Navi, X, C, ...
Even if no cD6/equivalent in that timeframe, they can still build MY mkX-Lg for the Aviator slot
(edit: not to forget Ranger & Bronco!)

(NOTE: Copied Logan's post to Mission2020 :joyous:)​
If Ford brings back Mercury then you now something is seriously wrong.
if Fomoco followed(s) my rant for Merc,
there'd be a total news black-out until the first concept showed(s) up at an autoshow NEXT YEAR,
for production in cy2019 as a 2020my
:nerd: ^in the works for years!^

#21 ·

Fields is brilliant to expand simultaneously into new markets. Absolutely brilliant. Forging ahead with just cars in this uncertain business climate, is suicide. Auto stocks are going nowhere fast, plain and simple. Fields and Bill Ford Jr. will be heralded for their insightfulness soon enough.

#22 ·

just occurred to me...

I've been commenting/complaining in the F-L 2018my OrderGuides (finally starting) thread,
"afaik this is the LATEST I remember a modelyear with NO OGs/Job1s...
...ie, no Job1s until AFTER MAY"

&
then we get the whole-nine-yards of mini-brochures (:thumb: Topnotch, also listed in the OG thread)
quickly followed by this BoD brouhaha - - WONDERING IF THOSE BROCHURES WERE RELEASED TO HELP DE-FUSE THE SITUATION??

#24 · (Edited)

Ford might be falling behind now but they are also investing and overhauling their car platforms for electrification which could ultimately turn Ford into one of the biggest EV producers very quickly. I don't know where they are going to get all of the batteries but I assume that's part of the development process. Ford hasn't been sitting on its hands, but they have reached the limits of their current technology and cost tolerances, especially with gas prices this low. Remember that Ford's financial discipline means it can't just pump out unprofitable low-scale projects of any kind, it has to be big and scaled across the company. That makes it the achievement even more impressive and something Ford has recently been exceptional at. Just give them time, it's coming. I'm actually more concerned about their weakening Crossover position than anything but electrification is not as urgent despite their well publicized ambition. Did we all forget about Ford's commitment to an EV F150 and Mustang? Just that alone is a big deal.

#27 ·

Regarding Ford being so far behind in EV, I am just not that sure they are. Ford has been losing money selling EV's for years, long before GM finally stepped in and started losing money on every unit they sell. What was that estimate, about $7K lost per Bolt sale? Sure, Ford could have hurried a dedicated EV to market to lose money too and much sooner, but based on what I am hearing and seeing, they appear to have an excellent plan that is certainly far more sustainable, not just headline grabbing.

#29 ·

Regarding Ford being so far behind in EV, I am just not that sure they are. Ford has been losing money selling EV's for years, long before GM finally stepped in and started losing money on every unit they sell. What was that estimate, about $7K lost per Bolt sale? Sure, Ford could have hurried a dedicated EV to market to lose money too and much sooner, but based on what I am hearing and seeing, they appear to have an excellent plan that is certainly far more sustainable, not just headline grabbing.
Oh please...GM has been in the EV game and losing money on EVs long before Ford when they introduced the first mass produced EV back in 1996, the EV1 😝

Most, if not all manufacturers are losing money (approx. 10k per vehicle) on each EV they sell and it's a hit they are willing to take in order to not face penalties in at least 10 states that require a percentage of the manufacturer's total sales to be emissions free. When zero emissions credits begin, Gm will receive 4 credits for each bolt sold, allowing gm to sell more trucks etc and any extra credits, gm can sell to other manufacturers. Besides all that, gm gains an EV reputation and furthers their world class EV engineering prowess. Win/Win. Better than sitting back and stagnating like some manufacturers.

#30 ·

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannm...is-whats-not-in-showrooms-today/#9bb3ce51d78b

Ford's Board Presses Fields On Future Strategy, But The Problem Is What's (Not) In Showrooms Today

Some of Ford’s problems can be fixed when fresh products arrive in dealer showrooms, but that can’t come soon enough. The Escape, Explorer and Fusion are all scheduled for overhaul in 2019, according to BofA Merrill Lynch’s annual Car Wars Report, which tracks automakers’ future products. Meanwhile, Ford is making do with minor improvements, like a facelift and new wifi hotspot on the 2018 Explorer.

Ford is adept at marketing so it can handle that pressure. Its bigger problem is the products it doesn’t have. As Mark LaNeve, Ford’s vice president of marketing, sales and service, acknowledged last week in a phone call with analysts and media, you can’t sell products you don’t make.

“Two fast-growing parts of the market, mini-utilities and mid-size pickups, we're not participating in,” he said. “Participating with them would certainly help our year-over-year growth compared to the competition that has entries in those categories.”

Indeed, Ford has a few glaring holes in its lineup. It doesn’t have a little SUV to compete with the likes of the Honda HR-V, Jeep Renegade or Chevrolet Trax. Nor does it have a mid-sized pickup to go head-to-head with the popular Toyota Tacoma and the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. In fact, for a while, Ford insisted there was no market for smaller pickups. Now that it’s been proven wrong, it’s playing catch-up.

#32 ·

I just think Ford needed to do more with refreshing the current models, with the competition years ahead with new models, and upgraded electrification.

1. Fusion/C-Max Energi needed a more powerful battery pack/same size for an increase in EV range 25+ miles. This is what consumers care about in a plug-in hybrid.

2. Offer a plug-in and Hybrid Escape, since it had the same platform as the C-Max and Ford already said it was easily doable. This would have attracted a new consumer base to Escape.

3. Lincoln needed an MKZ Energi for years and it just seems stupid that it still does not exist 4 years later. I see this as a big miss for Lincoln.

4. All-New Lincoln Continental is launched in 2016 without a plug as an option. Really? While MB and BMW are launching their plug-in models in the same segment.

This is just 4 reasons I see Ford as lagging behind the competition and suffering the sales consequences today. Older products are not refreshed enough to compete. Which means when the 2014 Fusion Energi owner returns the 3 years leased vehicle, they have no replacement that offers more than they just had. So they look for something else. But if Ford upgraded the battery pack to offer 25+ miles, the 5+mile increase and better mpg, along with refreshed styling could be enough to get them into a new Fusion. Same with C-Max. An MKZ Energi could give an MKZ Hybrid return lease a nice upgrade. But currently with cosmetic refreshing for the most part....there is little incentive.

This is what I see that is frustrating about Ford/Lincoln and their challenged sales. Ford/Lincoln could easily do better in this regard which would help with public/investor perception of the company. I also think the whole future mobility focus is something Ford should work on definitely, but behind the scenes, because consumers today really don't care much yet. And it also sends a mixed message, one is about not owning a car(mobility/sharing), and the other is about owning a car(sales today). What does Ford want the consumer to do?

#33 ·

I just think Ford needed to do more with refreshing the current models, with the competition years ahead with new models, and upgraded electrification.

1. Fusion/C-Max Energi needed a more powerful battery pack/same size for an increase in EV range 25+ miles. This is what consumers care about in a plug-in hybrid.

2. Offer a plug-in and Hybrid Escape, since it had the same platform as the C-Max and Ford already said it was easily doable. This would have attracted a new consumer base to Escape.

3. Lincoln needed an MKZ Energi for years and it just seems stupid that it still does not exist 4 years later. I see this as a big miss for Lincoln.

4. All-New Lincoln Continental is launched in 2016 without a plug as an option. Really? While MB and BMW are launching their plug-in models in the same segment.

This is just 4 reasons I see Ford as lagging behind the competition and suffering the sales consequences today. Older products are not refreshed enough to compete. Which means when the 2014 Fusion Energi owner returns the 3 years leased vehicle, they have no replacement that offers more than they just had. So they look for something else. But if Ford upgraded the battery pack to offer 25+ miles, the 5+mile increase and better mpg, along with refreshed styling could be enough to get them into a new Fusion. Same with C-Max. An MKZ Energi could give an MKZ Hybrid return lease a nice upgrade. But currently with cosmetic refreshing for the most part....there is little incentive.

This is what I see that is frustrating about Ford/Lincoln and their challenged sales. Ford/Lincoln could easily do better in this regard which would help with public/investor perception of the company. I also think the whole future mobility focus is something Ford should work on definitely, but behind the scenes, because consumers today really don't care much yet. And it also sends a mixed message, one is about not owning a car(mobility/sharing), and the other is about owning a car(sales today). What does Ford want the consumer to do?
Great ideas. Makes me scratch me head too.
But this only fuels my thought/wish process that Ford is currently to focused on doing something radically different than just plugging electrification holes in their lineup, while reaping no fiscal gains of course.

#37 ·

I think we also have to remember that China is playing a big roll in Ford's plans for electrification and it's one reason driving GM's significant investment. The softening US regulatory environment and weak market demand in the US is one of the reasons Ford seems to have these uneven fits and starts with electrification but not a very consistent or clear product commitment. But if there is anytime to be weak in electrics, now is the time...lets just hope the investment Ford is making arrives with a more favorable market. China is helping to force Ford's hands as they try to build their presence there, that will also help to pay for it.

#42 ·

Ford to shareholders: We're frustrated by stock price, too
- http://www.freep.com/story/money/20...rs-were-frustrated-stock-price-too/316651001/

Ford assured shareholders that company's stock price matters both to the Ford family and Ford's top management but pointed out that Wall Street has historically undervalued automakers, even when they make millions in profits.
Undervalued... but why are General Motors stocks doing better than Ford's considering GM's recent troubled history?

Fields reiterated the company's strategy to become a leader in autonomous vehicles. The company said earlier this year it would spend $1 billion to acquire a company called Argo AI, a developer of artificial intelligence, as it builds a staff of software engineers to develop the brains of its autonomous vehicles.
Ford is absent in some important segments in the global market or have models that need fixing to be competitive.
Perhaps some people feel that Ford is being distracted by other ventures/projects not related to its core business.

*I intentionally skipped Tesla, we know its attractive because the fairly young company (although small) put itself on the map with performance-oriented EVs.

#43 ·
#47 ·
Ford to Cut 10% of Global Staff?

wait...wut?? :surprise2:

Ford Plans to Cut About 10% of Global Staff
Bloomberg: WSJ
- by Keith Naughton - May 15, 2017

Ford Motor Co. plans to cut about 10 percent of staff worldwide as Chief Executive Officer Mark Fields faces pressure to improve profit and boost the automaker’s lagging stock price, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The job cuts are expected to be outlined as early as this week and mostly target salaried employees, the newspaper said, citing unidentified people briefed on the plan. It’s unclear if hourly factory workers are included, the Journal said.

Ford shareholders criticized the company’s management over what one investor called the “pathetic” performance of the automaker’s shares and questioned how the board can continue to support Fields, who’s been CEO since July 2014. Ford’s board scheduled extra meeting time ahead of last week’s annual meeting to press him on his plans for reversing the company’s fortunes, a person familiar with the discussions said.

“We have not announced any new people efficiency actions, nor do we comment on speculation,” Ford said in an emailed statement.

- - - - - - -

was going to make a separate thread but really Not much here...

#55 ·
Re: Ford to Cut 10% of Global Staff?

Ford Plans to Cut About 10% of Global Staff - Bloomberg: WSJ
was going to make a separate thread but really Not much here...
Reuters: Ford to cut North America, Asia salaried workers by 10 percent
Ford Motor Co (F.N) plans to shrink its salaried workforce in North America and Asia by about 10 percent as it works to boost profits and its sliding stock price, a source familiar with the plan told Reuters on Monday.

A person briefed on the plan said Ford plans to offer generous early retirement incentives to reduce its salaried headcount by Oct. 1, but does not plan cuts to its hourly workforce or its production...

...The cuts are part of a previously announced plan to slash costs by $3 billion ... Ford plans to emphasize the voluntary nature of the staff reductions. Ford said April 27 when it reported first-quarter earnings that it planned to cut $3 billion in costs.

"We are continuing our intense focus on cost and the reason for that is not only mindful of the current environment that we're in, but also I think preparing us even more for a downturn scenario," Chief Executive Mark Fields told analysts in a conference call at that time....

- - - - - - -

and a forum post elsewhere:
...There may well be programs that can end or perhaps there are a few redundancies that can be made expendable. The 20,000 number is mostly for Wall Street consumption. We have no idea who Ford is going to fire at all.​
I'm kinda wondering
- if certain programs have reached a [pause] point or even COMPLETED certain phases (cD6ver1), this could be a bit like lowering staffing during an extending vacation-break OR re-modeling
- if staffing in the future might be encouraging reduced CAREER-path-potential = jobs will be for a few years, not until retirement anymore / easier to prevent senior-workers with senior-PAY
- where was the thread/article about CHINA getting ROBOTS due to rising worker-PAY
?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.