Next Gen MKC? - Ford Inside News Community
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Next Gen MKC?

The current gen MKC is, for the most part, a nice looking compact CUV, inside and out and how it performs. But the problem is as I see it, is with it's fit in the market segment. What seems to have happened is that Lincoln took the 40+ 'Quiet Luxury' playbook, and applied it to the C-Segment CUV where the market is the high 20s and low to mid 30s. Nice product, but the wrong audience for maximum penetration.

Which brings up the question, what should Lincoln do with the next gen MKC so it's a better fit for the segment it competes?

Looking at sales since the MKC was launched, the Lexus NX coming late to the game, has dominated the segment with more than double the MKC sales for 2016. The design was polarizing, with many wondering what Lexus was doing. But apparently, Lexus knew what they were doing....targeting the younger market segment directly. This segment is loud and in your face not quiet and reserved which for that demographic = old.

And they don't want anything that represents old.

Which means next gen MKC needs a reboot, inside and out along with a new attitude for Lincoln that can reach that demographic. Which will be a challenge for Lincoln who currently has the 'Quiet Luxury' image has been successful with bringing down the customer demographic from the 70s to the 50s. But as we know, 50 is the new 40 and 40 is the new 30. Which means Lincoln has to find a way to meet the expectations of the 20s and 60+ crowd at the same time.

But to get there Lincoln can't still be 'Quiet Luxury' because that won't reach that 'loud and in your face' demographic. But there may be an easy way to deal with this issue by attaching 'Quiet Luxury' to specific Lincoln models and not to the Lincoln brand itself.

20s to 30s Target Demographic:
MKC(SUV) - Exhilarating Performance
MKZ(Sedan/coupe/convertible) - Exhilarating Performance
MKX - Quiet Luxury / Exhilarating Performance depending on the model/trim

40s+ Target Demographic
Aviator - Quiet Luxurty / Exilarating Performance depending on the model/trim
Continental - Quiet Luxury
Town Car? - Quiet Luxuty
Navigator - Quiet Luxury

Which could mean that next gen MKC should offer a radical approach to the new Lincoln grille.

Even now, the MKC concept seems a bit too tame to reach the demographic where many are moving from luxury sport sedans into luxury sport CUVs.

So what do you think Lincoln should do with the next gen MKC?
2b2, scford58, SP1966 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 07:15 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Next Gen MKC?

^

guess I'm now/lately hoping the USFiesta moves onto a shorty-wheelbase version of the ngFocus
cuz in addition to a possibly desirable (for me) hatchling
it could lead to splitting the MKC in TWO = slightly smaller & a Macan-size
tho
really wonder about the factory situation...ie afaik U.S factories don't have room for more volume
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
1 - fercryin'outloud: MKZ-Energi 2.3Atkinson-or-1.5T ...even CARB-only!
2 - MKX-Lg including a [BL] version ² = R.I.P.M.K.T
3 - still wondering about taking a pair of Focus-BEV drivetrains & sticking them in Both the front & back of SOMEthing...
...daydreaming follows / ignore:
jack up a Z, stick a 2-3" thick battery surfboard under it, scrap a PanoRoof for a carbonfibre ceiling + a HATCH
= e-TOURING
that should be plenty thru next NAIAS
Quote:
missed your ^question ...& staying with the current architecture;
1. the 9-speed
2. electrificationing, esp a Turbo-Plug-In (pureBEV prolley needs new architecture)(hybrids are for mainstream)
3. Package TWEAKing: a) simplify the lower end/combine Premier & Select, b) standardize some stuff on [BL]
4. more color choices? dunno how many the paint shop can accommodate
Ø. actually top priority: make the dash trims dealer-swappable!!
5. wheel boutique, across the whole lineup
6. I'd like to SEE a 500+hp 3.5T, maybe limited-time/edition but note that's not high priority
scford58 and Bloggin like this.

• Navi info/pix
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
&
& more...

• "The perception that a Lincoln is less, is more important than the reality that Lincoln is more than enough", SP1966
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Ford Focus

Arrow Re: Next Gen MKC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
But to get there Lincoln can't still be 'Quiet Luxury' because that won't reach that 'loud and in your face' demographic. But there may be an easy way to deal with this issue by attaching 'Quiet Luxury' to specific Lincoln models and not to the Lincoln brand itself.

20s to 30s Target Demographic:
MKC(SUV) - Exhilarating Performance
MKZ(Sedan/coupe/convertible) - Exhilarating Performance
MKX - Quiet Luxury / Exhilarating Performance depending on the model/trim

40s+ Target Demographic
Aviator - Quiet Luxurty / Exilarating Performance depending on the model/trim
Continental - Quiet Luxury
Town Car? - Quiet Luxuty
Navigator - Quiet Luxury
I think Lincoln can still use the "Quiet Luxury" theme without sacrificing desirability and performance. Look at Acura with the MDX or Lexus with the RX for example. Both vehicles are aggressive looking but still have quiet rides and decent quality; a requirement for any successful modern vehicle, especially SUV's/CUV's.

2b2 and Bloggin like this.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
So what do you think Lincoln should do with the next gen MKC?
They should make the next-gem MKC aspirational, powerful, sporty and a bit edgy. Lincoln will not be allowed to do this because it would take the spotlight from Ford.
Bloggin likes this.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
They should make the next-gem MKC aspirational, powerful, sporty and a bit edgy.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes! That should apply to every Lincoln going forward, though in differing proportions of each. In other words the bottom end product should be edgier while the higher end product should have some of the same edge, just more refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Lincoln will not be allowed to do this because it would take the spotlight from Ford.
This is an argument that I think had validity a decade or more back, but not today. The Ford name cannot do in terms of margins what a healthy Lincoln can, and both management and the Ford family understand that. If they didn't we wouldn't have the Lincoln we have today, much less what we expect is coming.
wingsnut, hbmf3 and Bloggin like this.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

WardsAuto.com, Oct 16, 2009 8:42 AM

“We have an aging owner body, and we have the ability to move it in the right direction and get younger,” Matt VanDyke-marketing communications director, tells Ward’s at a recent media event here.

“To think we could flip over and get young 20-somethings into a luxury product at this point and consider Lincoln is something that I think is too much of a stretch,” he says.

Lincoln brass spent considerable time determining the unique makeup of Gen Xers, which VanDyke defines as being in their mid-30s to mid-40s. Unlike traditional luxury buyers, these consumers don’t want to appear “ostentatious.” Rather, they are “folks that are time-starved and look at luxury as something that makes their life simple and easier.”

VanDyke says Generation X represents a “white space” in the automotive market, meaning there are no other auto makers targeting them. Alexander Edwards, president of Strategic Vision Inc., a California-based automotive consultancy, agrees.

“They’re a target that there’s not a battlefield of people going after,” Edwards tells Ward’s. “You have a group of folks earning a bit more than people a little older and younger than they are.

“(Lincoln) can have results today, rather than when Generation Y (ages 15-32) grows up.”

Lincoln aims at Gen X

Last edited by Bloggin; 06-04-2017 at 10:48 PM.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

“They’re a target that there’s not a battlefield of people going after,” Edwards tells Ward’s. “You have a group of folks earning a bit more than people a little older and younger than they are."

This does explain why Lincoln seems to have been marketing to a niche market early on. But to be successful in the small/midsize luxury market, Lincoln will need to charge into the battlefield with the right equipment. Next gen MKC should be part of Lincolns first wave.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
^

guess I'm now/lately hoping the USFiesta moves onto a shorty-wheelbase version of the ngFocus
cuz in addition to a possibly desirable (for me) hatchling
it could lead to splitting the MKC in TWO = slightly smaller & a Macan-size

Wheelbase: 110.51 in. | Length: 184.29 in.

The Macan should have about the same size wheelbase, as the next gen MKC, but Lincoln couldn't get away with being so relaxed in its design, with being a Porsche.

MB has their version GLA shared with Infiniti QX30 and both have sales right below current MKC.

But something that small seems to more belong to the Ford brand.
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by Bloggin; 06-04-2017 at 11:24 PM.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:55 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

what I'd like to do with the Macan is leave the perfect-sized interior & SHAVE off all the excess bulbousness from the sheetmetal
which
would undoubtedly make it "edgy"er

for the smaller which imho isn't TOO small for Lincoln
_wlb___ovl____w____ht______
106.3 - 173.9 - 71.0 - 58.8 - MB GLA
105.9 - 179.2 - 73.4 - 65.2 - Lincoln MKC
104.7 - 171.9 - ??.? - 64.4 - Range Rover Evoque
& an old quote I didn't keep a Source for:
"GLA is 3.5 inches longer, yet 3.8 inches narrower and 5.2 inches lower than the Range Rover Evoque"
Bloggin likes this.

• Navi info/pix
&
&
&
& more...

• "The perception that a Lincoln is less, is more important than the reality that Lincoln is more than enough", SP1966

Last edited by 2b2; 06-05-2017 at 12:58 AM.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 06:12 AM
Ford Focus

As cliche as this sounds, I'd love for the interior of a new MKC to resemble that of the new Navigator, but in a small package. The new Navigator has a youthful yet sophisticated interior, and I can see that in the MKC and every upcoming Lincoln. The new Lexus interiors are way too gaudy and overly styled in my opinion. I obviously want Lincoln to progress but I don't want them to be so in your face with a weird design like Lexus. I feel like they're going for a more simplified chique Audi/Jaguar aesthetic.
Bloggin and badhac like this.

Current Car: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Recent Previous Cars:
2016 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
2015 Lincoln MKC
2013 Ford Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page