LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
FIN Moderator

How Lincoln's China plan aids U.S. dealers

How Lincoln's China plan aids U.S. dealers
Automotive News
February 11, 2013
by Bradford Wernle

Lincoln's decision to enter China might seem tangential to the success of the brand's U.S. dealers. But Bill Knight, chairman of the Lincoln National Dealer Council for 2013, sees a clear connection. When Lincoln said in August that it would enter China in 2014, "that was very exciting," says Knight, who owns Bill Knight Lincoln in Tulsa, Okla. "That means we can get our own platforms."

Every dealer hopes, he says, that Lincoln's sales in China, the world's largest auto market, will provide "the scale to lead us down that path. Today, from a dollars and cents standpoint, the volume can't justify such a program."

Lincoln has not talked about future products beyond 2014. The MKZ is arriving in dealerships now. At the Detroit auto show last month, Lincoln showed the MKC Concept, a compact crossover that is expected to arrive in 2014. The MKX crossover will follow, along with redesigns of the MKS sedan and Navigator SUV. Those vehicles share platforms with Ford-brand vehicles.

Full article at link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:57 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: How Lincoln's China plan aids U.S. dealers

Quote:
...Bill Knight, chairman of the Lincoln National Dealer Council for 2013, sees a clear connection. When Lincoln said in August that it would enter China in 2014, "that was very exciting," says Knight, who owns Bill Knight Lincoln in Tulsa, Okla. "That means we can get our own platforms."...
Bill, Bill, Bill...

imho Lincoln doesn't need any unique/exclusive platforms -- given the S550/nextgenStang -- at least if they can make the CD4+3 platform able to be Rwd (as well as F-Awd) for a Continental
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Ford Focus

For Lincoln...
An exclusive platform - pluses and minuses. As long as it is a great platform.
How about exclusive engine options: same Ford motor dressed in 'Lincoln' and either more hp or better economy or BOTH
and transmissions: one more speed than the Ford level.
How about exclusive options: materials and colors (that's colours for all you Canadians out there). Suspension sport-Lincoln ride-comfort.
Isn't the mission of Lincoln to not only survive but give the customer a difference - a superior car
Get a LINCOLN
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Ford Kuga

If they use the same platforms as Ford, they need to stretch and widen them like they did a while back.

A lincoln should not be a Ford with added content and a styling change.

Just look at the view from the front seat of the Fusion and MKZ. Steering wheel, door handles, vents, center console, shape of instument pod. You can tell they stared out with a Fusion, and just made changes in bits and pieces. The MKZ should have been a Mercury.

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 AM
The Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
If they use the same platforms as Ford, they need to stretch and widen them like they did a while back.

Just look at the view from the front seat of the Fusion and MKZ. Steering wheel, door handles, vents, center console, shape of instument pod. You can tell they stared out with a Fusion, and just made changes in bits and pieces. The MKZ should have been a Mercury.
MkC does sit on a widened and lengthened platform compared to the Escape.

Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Ford Sport Ka

Quote:

I agree with all of that.

2001 MERCURY SABLE LS PREMIUM 133K
2007 MERCURY MILAN BASE 65K
2011 BUICK LACROSSE CXL 17K
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:

What people fail to understand is that the when the MKZ was designed Ford was not fully resolved to Lincoln's long term prospects, nor to fully differentiating them from their Ford siblings. They have a plan in place now that they didn't then as we can tell by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
MkC does sit on a widened and lengthened platform compared to the Escape.
... the MKC being so very different in every visible and touchable way. The differentiation began with the MKZ, is taken to another level with the MKC, and I believe we'll see with each new Lincoln that the line between a Ford and a Lincoln will continue to grow!

As for unique platforms, look at the industry, that is a thing of the past in most cases. You are seeing companies like Mercedes and BMW partnering with the plebeian masses to reduce the costs associated with developing world class vehicles. I would be happy to see unique Lincoln RWD platform, but I'm not holding my breath.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ I hope the production MKC isn't dumbed down or closer to the Escape
actually
I'd really like them to turn up the volume if at all possible...

...like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomt1 View Post
For Lincoln...
...How about exclusive engine options...
I'm pretty sure Wingsnut said that more exclusively-Lincoln engines than just one Nano v6 will be be coming
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
What people fail to understand is that the when the MKZ was designed Ford was not fully resolved to Lincoln's long term prospects, nor to fully differentiating them from their Ford siblings. They have a plan in place now that they didn't then as we can tell by...

... the MKC being so very different in every visible and touchable way. The differentiation began with the MKZ, is taken to another level with the MKC, and I believe we'll see with each new Lincoln that the line between a Ford and a Lincoln will continue to grow!

As for unique platforms, look at the industry, that is a thing of the past in most cases. You are seeing companies like Mercedes and BMW partnering with the plebeian masses to reduce the costs associated with developing world class vehicles. I would be happy to see unique Lincoln RWD platform, but I'm not holding my breath.
Ford dont needs a RWD platform unique for Lincoln... the Mustang platform could and must be for Ford and Lincoln. Make it flexible enough to do a 2 door coupes and convertibles ( Mustang and Mark), and 4 door sport sedans for Ford and Lincoln

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^ I hope the production MKC isn't dumbed down or closer to the Escape
Relax, they even said at the reveal not to think of it as a concept. What you see is what you will get just as with the MKZ before it, they will add door handles and useful mirrors, probably a little change to the headlights, but that is the MKC that will go into production, albeit with fewer Lincoln stars adorning the interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
...like:
I'm pretty sure Wingsnut said that more exclusively-Lincoln engines than just one Nano v6 will be be coming
I'm not to sure how I feel about the need for exclusivity under the hood. The tech used on these engines will be the same, likely just the size will be different. If that's the case, whats the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Ford dont needs a RWD platform unique for Lincoln... the Mustang platform could and must be for Ford and Lincoln. Make it flexible enough to do a 2 door coupes and convertibles ( Mustang and Mark), and 4 door sport sedans for Ford and Lincoln
I agree, and hope dearly that the 'Stang platform can support a small Lincoln sport sedan along with coupe and convertible variants. I've heard some say that modifying the 'Stang to support a sedan isn't likely, yet I remember hearing talk from Ford of a four door 'Stang of sorts. Maybe that talk wasn't really about a 'Stang sedan, but the Lincoln variant. And if it were up to me, the sedan variant would be Lincoln exclusive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aids, china, dealers, lincoln, plan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page