Popularity of GM LS crate engine vs Ford's - Ford Inside News Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Popularity of GM LS crate engine vs Ford's

AC's version of the Cobra roadster will get a GM V8. Sacrilege!!
Now I just read the replica/continuation Cord and upcoming DeLorean DMC-12 cars will also be powered by a GM crate V8 too.

Is GM's V8 crate engine just plain overrated or is it more reliable and easier to maintain/fix than Ford's crate engines?
Ford offers both DOHC Modular V8 and pushrod (302 block and 351 block) V8 crate engines.
Why are they being ignored?

2b2 likes this.

Last edited by AM222; 11-29-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:58 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Popularity of GM LS crate engine vs Ford's

The pushrod V8s from GM have been around for such a long time that parts for it are so easy to find that's why it's more popular. Ford moved to a DOHC configuration which is newer and doesn't have the same aftermarket.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
The pushrod V8s from GM have been around for such a long time that parts for it are so easy to find that's why it's more popular. Ford moved to a DOHC configuration which is newer and doesn't have the same aftermarket.
What about Ford's 302 & 351 block pushrod crate engines?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 02:10 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

You could walk to any junk yard, find a LS piston laying on the ground, throw it in a fitting motor and it'll run. That's why. They're simple, brilliant, cheap, moddable, and make great power for cheap.

'05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead; '09 F-250; '01 Mazda Ford Escape Tribute
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

The Ford OHC V8s have pretty big space requirements, whereas the LS motors fit easily into more vehicles. I saw a Porsche 944S that had an LS swap, and it looked almost smaller than the 4-banger it replaced.

I'll never claim to be a fan of GM, but their various small-block V8s have been the standard for decades, even as the motors themselves evolve/change.

All that said, I'd be doing Coyote or Motorsport 351 swaps on anything I owned.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanatWork View Post
The Ford OHC V8s have pretty big space requirements, whereas the LS motors fit easily into more vehicles. I saw a Porsche 944S that had an LS swap, and it looked almost smaller than the 4-banger it replaced.
Isn't this where Ford's range of pushrod V8 crate engines come in?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
A comparison between the GM and Ford pushrod crate engines isn't even a fair fight. The GM "Small Block" has evolved massively in the past couple decades, so much so that the parts compatibility you mention no longer translates from generation to generation.

GM current pushrod crate engine >>>> Ford old pushrod crate engine.

I haven't checked the prices but I'd expect the cost of a Coyote is likely going to be greater than the cost of GM's pushrod engine. The cost to upgrade a DOHC engine is going to be higher than a pushrod engine.

The Cobra isn't a modern high tech vehicle so I can see the logic in using a more basic, yet powerful pushrod engine in that vehicle from the manufacturer's standpoint.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
The Cobra isn't a modern high tech vehicle so I can see the logic in using a more basic, yet powerful pushrod engine in that vehicle from the manufacturer's standpoint.
They could have put a Ford 427 crate engine just like the one in Classic Recreations' GT500CR.

Sounds like GM's pushrod crate engine is like the Corolla of pushed V8s. Half truth-half myth. Lol
2b2 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Ford Explorer

If we are talking NA carbureted OHV crate engines, Ford and Chevrolet both offer many options ranging from simple swap and/ or street performance to all out competition across many displacements. Neither has a clear advantage over the other, not in size or power per displacement and even price is very close, although Mopar typically costs more. You can buy or build a 427ci Ford / Chevy engine and even a 426ci mopar stroker small block stroker engines (starting with 351 / 350 or 360ci small blocks respectively) that all make massive power, well North of 500hp and far more torque too and ALL of which package in an equal space of a small block OHV V8. More or less. Even Ford's Boss mod motor is quite the package offering North of 500hp.

If we are talking modern replacement V8 engines in the last decade or so that include fuel injection, etc…….then the discussion gets complicated, not unlike comparing production V8’s from all the above. But GM does have some advantages there, especially in scale…..they offer far more products that use a V8 than Ford does. Camaro, vette, CTS, G8, SS, truck, etc. But Ford is hardly a slouch, with their 5.2L and 5.0L that will soon be upgraded and more than capable of taking on anyone in a fight.
SP1966 likes this.

=======================

Every sub-$50,000 car on the market will have to answer to the Ford from now on, no matter what badge it brings to the table.

-Road&Track
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 10:09 PM
Ford Explorer

To my point about similarity,

Engine Masters Challenge (great series)

383 chevy vs 383 mopar

Another series with a 408 Ford and 408 mopar

=======================

Every sub-$50,000 car on the market will have to answer to the Ford from now on, no matter what badge it brings to the table.

-Road&Track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page