Ford Inside News banner

nextgen Focus merged superThread

177K views 709 replies 48 participants last post by  Rick Astley 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#2 ·
Re: New Focus to arrive by the end of 2018.

Hopefully the US gets the 1.5 Ecoboost as well, drove the 1.0 and the current Focus is just to heavy for it. Hopefully the next get loses some weight though. Not sure why they would drop the 2.0, thats got to be cheaper than the Ecoboost, plus it's not a bad little motor.

#4 ·

Hopefully the US gets the 1.5 Ecoboost as well, drove the 1.0 and the current Focus is just to heavy for it. Hopefully the next get loses some weight though. Not sure why they would drop the 2.0, thats got to be cheaper than the Ecoboost, plus it's not a bad little motor.
Biggest issue is the transmission. They need to rework the DCT or drop it all together, I think all the complaints and rebuilds in some cases have hurt sales.

#7 ·

At least in North America, this is Ford's last chance in the C segment. More problems like the current generation's transmission and cramped interior, and the North American Focus will go the way of the Dodge Dart.

#9 ·

At least in North America, this is Ford's last chance in the C segment. More problems like the current generation's transmission and cramped interior, and the North American Focus will go the way of the Dodge Dart.
Meh, the Nth American market is not that resolute, Focus has passed its used by date and is now suffering against newer competitors. Cruze and Focus sales were neck and neck before NG Cruze arrived, we should expect a similar lift in sales when Ford eventually delivers its NG Focus.

#16 ·

Too late in America. And very too late in Europe

Too late for what??? We'd all like see 4 year product refresh cycles; however, Focus like most C segment cars is a bit low profit margin. It would have been nice to take advantage of the earlier Civic's problems, as it is the segment volume leader in North America, with a sooner introduction but the redesign sounds spot on to be more than competitive.

#11 ·

Product cycle planning for current gen Focus probably goes back nearly a decade. It is a global car with global volumes (I believe still best selling car in the world) and timelines must be carefully planned, executed and not altered (usually at great cost), unless there is an exceptional reason to do so. And I don’t think taking a back seat to Cruze sales in NA would qualify as a reason. From what I am hearing and reading, they are preparing to take a huge leap forward toward reduced costs and complexity and improving quality, and of course, a much improved and very competitive product -- not just a bigger back seat and different sheet metal.

#12 ·

Product cycle planning for current gen Focus probably goes back nearly a decade. It is a global car with global volumes (I believe still best selling car in the world) and timelines must be carefully planned, executed and not altered (usually at great cost), unless there is an exceptional reason to do so. And I don’t think taking a back seat to Cruze sales in NA would qualify as a reason. From what I am hearing and reading, they are preparing to take a huge leap forward toward reduced costs and complexity and improving quality, and of course, a much improved and very competitive product -- not just a bigger back seat and different sheet metal.
Thanks for the very clear explanation ... people reall stuggle to understand "failure" and "planning" in cars

#18 ·
Re: New Focus to arrive by the end of 2018(cy)

fwiw / AutoBild :angel

Ford Focus: Ford plant den Focus-Nachfolger als Weltauto. Es entstehen diverse Varianten, zu denen erstmals statt des dreitürigen Schräghecks ein zweitüriges Coupé gehören könnte. Weil die Plattform vom Zweitürer bis zum Kuga ein breites Spektrum abdecken muss, hält sich der Gewichtsverlust des nächsten Focus in Grenzen – die Rede ist von 50 Kilogramm.
google-translate:
Ford Focus: Ford plans the Focus successor as a world car. The result is a variety of variants, including a two-door coupé for the first time instead of the three-pitched corner. Because the platform needs to cover a broad spectrum from the second to the Kuga, the weight loss of the next focus is limited - the talk is of 50 kilograms.

#19 ·
Re: New Focus to arrive by the end of 2018(cy)

fwiw / AutoBild :angel

Ford Focus: Ford plant den Focus-Nachfolger als Weltauto. Es entstehen diverse Varianten, zu denen erstmals statt des dreitürigen Schräghecks ein zweitüriges Coupé gehören könnte. Weil die Plattform vom Zweitürer bis zum Kuga ein breites Spektrum abdecken muss, hält sich der Gewichtsverlust des nächsten Focus in Grenzen – die Rede ist von 50 Kilogramm.
google-translate:
Ford Focus: Ford plans the Focus successor as a world car. The result is a variety of variants, including a two-door coupé for the first time instead of the three-pitched corner. Because the platform needs to cover a broad spectrum from the second to the Kuga, the weight loss of the next focus is limited - the talk is of 50 kilograms.
I think "three-pitched corner" means three-door hatch.
This is what Bing translate gives me: Ford Focus: Ford plans the focus's successor as world car. Various variants, which for the first time instead of the three-door sloping Stern a two-door Coupé could include are created. Because the platform of the two-door model must cover a wide range up to the Kuga, abides by the weight loss of the next focus in boundaries - the speech is of 50 kilograms.

#20 · (Edited)
2019 Ford Focus with Production Body

2019 Ford Focus Reveals Its Production-Spec Body

Ford’s next-generation Focus has been spied testing with its all-new body for the first time, bathed in thick black and white camouflage.

Not expected to launch until the latter half of 2018, the new Focus will follow a similar formula to the current car but in its pursuit to better rival the Volkswagen Golf, Opel/Vauxhall Astra and Renault Megane, will be bigger than ever before and adopt a more spacious interior.
Read More: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/2019-ford-focus-reveals-its-production.html

Finally, they got rid of the minivan-style A-pillars that go over the strut towers but I'll miss the quarter windows on the rear pillars which was present on the Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3.

My guess, the Mk4 Focus will be revealed in Europe before the end of 2017, just like how the all-new Fiesta was unveiled in late 2016 (on sale mid-2017 in Europe).

#21 ·
Re: 2019 Ford Focus with Production Body

Looks like they are working on better proportions which is a good thing!

#25 ·

Looks like they are working on better proportions which is a good thing!
True, it should also translate better into a sedan.
I do hope this makes it to South East Asia, it seems to have solved one of the main problems of the current one (tight for its class rear legroom), one of the main reasons the current gen model isn't selling well here.

#24 ·

Looks like the rear wheels are definitely pushed back. Hopefully that addressed the mostly useless rear seat.
That and the lack of fold flat seats was another complaint I hope they address.

Reactions: Logans Run
#23 ·

The extra length and width in the platform helps the overall balance of the design. More legroom for rear passengers, more width along with more headroom as well. The architecture for the hatch will make a nice looking Focus sedan and wagon. AWD is also supposed to come to Focus this gen. There was also talk about bringing back the coupe/convertible. With how well the Mustang coupe/convertible is selling globally, Ford can't deny the market potential for a Focus coupe. If Ford's Power of Choice is still in effect, we can expect a Ecoboost powered hybrid/plug-in version as well.

#30 · (Edited)

The extra length and width in the platform helps the overall balance of the design. More legroom for rear passengers, more width along with more headroom as well. The architecture for the hatch will make a nice looking Focus sedan and wagon. AWD is also supposed to come to Focus this gen. There was also talk about bringing back the coupe/convertible. With how well the Mustang coupe/convertible is selling globally, Ford can't deny the market potential for a Focus coupe. If Ford's Power of Choice is still in effect, we can expect a Ecoboost powered hybrid/plug-in version as well.
I'd be careful to use Mustang as a barometer for coupe sales potential. Many people buy a Mustang because it's a Mustang, not because they would otherwise want a coupe.

Perhaps the upper dash of the prototype was meant for a large touchscreen?
Maybe. It looks like it has the housing for the 8 inch screen but uses the entry level basic 6 inch version?
I thought about that as well, but to me there's something very fake looking about that upper surround.

Look again:

I think the standard 6" screen stops at that upper part of the screen (in other words, no cubby hole/surround over top of it). While the 8" screen gets more of the tablet look.

I think it will use this unit from the new Fiesta and Ecosport. Look at the radio controls just below the screen on this Focus mule. Now look at these two Fiesta/EcoSport units....which integrate those knobs and buttons with the larger screen. So I think the larger screen goes right there.

Reactions: jalberda and 2b2
#33 ·

This looks like the 'Active' model, as it has the roof rails like the Fiesta 'Active'.

#42 ·

I just hope and pray that they find a better transmission for AT lovers. My current employer has several vehicles with the DCT in them, and I've come to loathe that 'box. It feels like a rickety CVT, no matter which one of those cars I'm driving.

#45 · (Edited)

Lets see.....

Alloy body? nope!
Independent Rear suspension? Nope!
Conventional Automatic? maybe not
Conventional automatic as in torque converter automatic transmission? Most likely yes.
The 1.5 EcoBoost's optional transmission is a torque converter automatic as seen in the current rest-of-the-world Focus, Fusion/Mondeo, Escape/Kuga etc.
The 1.0 EcoBoost's optional transmission is now a torque converter automatic as seen in the current US-market Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost, this also supports the "6-speed-Automatic" mentioned in the press release/specs of the 2018 Euro Fiesta and 2018 US-market EcoSport.

#46 ·

I am curious why this mule is wearing Fiesta windshield wipers, or at least they look the same with the bent up passenger side wiper, and not the usual wipe pattern style of the current Focus.

Attachments

Reactions: 2b2
#47 · (Edited)

I am curious why this mule is wearing Fiesta windshield wipers, or at least they look the same with the bent up passenger side wiper, and not the usual wipe pattern style of the current Focus.
This is a pre-production prototype with the actual Mk4 body, so the wiper layout is probably final.
I'm guessing it's because the windshield is smaller (more upright and less squarish) they probably didn't need the "clap hands" wiper layout of the Mk3?

#48 ·

Here is the direction the new 2017 Golf is going. Large touch screen with no buttons.

'There's also a new 9.2-inch central infotainment display that does away with physical buttons, including a volume knob, while introducing gesture control for the first time. Unlike BMW's more sophisticated system, Volkswagen's stereo recognises just two gestures - a broad swipe to the left or right that can skip to the next track, change radio station or access further menu options - you can't adjust the volume or accept a phone call without physically touching the screen or steering wheel. It's also a little inconsistent, requiring more of a driver's attention than a simple knob or button. VW insiders say there was an internal scrap between form and function surrounding its stereo, and that designers eventually won the battle, creating an aesthetically appealing cockpit that further elevates Volkswagen above the likes of Mazda and Ford.'

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2017-volkswagen-golf-75-new-car-review-20170214-gud3k1.html

#50 ·

... there was an internal scrap between form and function surrounding its stereo, and that designers eventually won the battle, creating an aesthetically appealing cockpit that further elevates Volkswagen above the likes of Mazda and Ford.'

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2017-volkswagen-golf-75-new-car-review-20170214-gud3k1.html
First, what tool are they quoting here??? And as far as 'aesthetically pleasing' goes, more like typically German sterile.

#57 ·

2018 Ford Focus spied featuring a head-up display
Motor1.com

By: Adrian Padeanu, Editor - Feb 23, 2017

...The all-new model has been spotted yet again by our agile spy photographers, and this time the images are a tad more revealing as in some of them you can observe the prototype was equipped with a head-up display. As you can imagine, the system will be available at an additional cost and likely only on the upper-spec models...

...Our previous batch of spy images revealed the new Focus will have an overhauled dashboard design in the same vein as the Fiesta’s by hosting a free-standing touchscreen display part of the infotainment system running on Ford’s SYNC 3 system.

Beyond the usual hatchback and wagon body styles, the Blue Oval will likely decide to spice up the range by doing a pseudo rugged version wearing the “Active” suffix...

#74 ·
#73 ·

interesting article about the state of small cars in Europe and the world.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/...me-compacts-lose-share-to-premium-rivals-suvs

VW Golf, other volume compacts lose share to premium rivals, SUVs

Nick Gibbs*Automotive News Europe* January 17, 2017 06:01 CET *
Automotive News | 2017-1-17
The Volkswagen Golf and Ford Focus compacts are being squeezed as premium competitors such as the Mercedes-Benz A class and SUVs from all brands steal market share from the volume players in Europe's third-largest segment.
Sales of volume compacts grew 3.1 percent to 1.9 million units through October last year compared with a 9.2 percent gain to 632,000 units for premium compacts. The rise gave models from brands such as Audi, BMW and Mercedes a 24.6 percent share of the overall segment's volume, up from 23.5 during the first 10 months of 2015, according to sales data from JATO Dynamics. Meanwhile compact SUV sales increased 20 percent to 1 million in the first 10 months of 2016.
and the Focus, which slipped from second in the segment sales chart to fourth behind the Opel/Vauxhall Astra and the Skoda Octavia.
The Focus was face-lifted in 2015 but that wasn't enough to stay ahead of its newer, less-expensive rivals. “The Focus is not cheap enough to be considered an affordable compact, and is not modern enough to be a real alternative to the new Astra or new Megane,” JATO Dynamics global analyst Felipe Munoz told Automotive News Europe.
The new Astra was the biggest winner among models in the segment’s top 10, moving into second place with an increase of 29 percent to more than 200,000 units through October.
Analyst LMC Automotive predicts the combined compact segment will remain flat as SUVs continue to win share. In addition, the consultancy also expects compact sales to reach 3.29 million units in 2017 and 3.31 million by 2020 (LMC's figures include Turkey). Despite the challenges, the volume compact sector won't shrink too much because the cars offer everything their core buyers want, JATO's Munoz said.
"Compact cars are losing, but they are still popular because of the nature of their clients, which are conservative drivers and business fleets."

Reactions: 2b2
#76 ·

^ & ^^
imho the ngFOcus seems almost splitting the diff between the Mz3 & Mz6 size-wise
imho² that might be the perfect target for a do-all "segment" that could take-over the majority of remaining/dying carCAR sales - - at least in the follow-the-leadHERD U.S market

interesting article about the state of small cars in Europe and the world.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/...me-compacts-lose-share-to-premium-rivals-suvs
VW Golf, other volume compacts lose share to premium rivals, SUVs

Nick Gibbs*Automotive News Europe* January 17, 2017 06:01 CET *
Automotive News | 2017-1-17
The Volkswagen Golf and Ford Focus compacts are being squeezed as premium competitors such as the Mercedes-Benz A class and SUVs from all brands steal market share from the volume players in Europe's third-largest segment.
Sales of volume compacts grew 3.1 percent to 1.9 million units through October last year compared with a 9.2 percent gain to 632,000 units for premium compacts. The rise gave models from brands such as Audi, BMW and Mercedes a 24.6 percent share of the overall segment's volume, up from 23.5 during the first 10 months of 2015, according to sales data from JATO Dynamics. Meanwhile compact SUV sales increased 20 percent to 1 million in the first 10 months of 2016.
and the Focus, which slipped from second in the segment sales chart to fourth behind the Opel/Vauxhall Astra and the Skoda Octavia.
The Focus was face-lifted in 2015 but that wasn't enough to stay ahead of its newer, less-expensive rivals. “The Focus is not cheap enough to be considered an affordable compact, and is not modern enough to be a real alternative to the new Astra or new Megane,” JATO Dynamics global analyst Felipe Munoz told Automotive News Europe.
The new Astra was the biggest winner among models in the segment’s top 10, moving into second place with an increase of 29 percent to more than 200,000 units through October.
Analyst LMC Automotive predicts the combined compact segment will remain flat as SUVs continue to win share. In addition, the consultancy also expects compact sales to reach 3.29 million units in 2017 and 3.31 million by 2020 (LMC's figures include Turkey). Despite the challenges, the volume compact sector won't shrink too much because the cars offer everything their core buyers want, JATO's Munoz said.
"Compact cars are losing, but they are still popular because of the nature of their clients, which are conservative drivers and business fleets."
:thumb:/tho
for any vehicle, the "arc" of its
- model-changeover > ramp-up
- peak interest > peak sales
- possible cross-shopped model but out-of-synch intro > re-re-interpretation, almost whitespace intro...

What I'm trying to say is that the whole marketplace is so fluid + practically nothing aligns eXactly that
"Segments are a convenient(or not) FICTION"

tho I really doN'T trust fotos for interiors,
I'm not overtly-happy with the cut-out/insert nature (FROM PIX) of the passenger-side dash
Nor, the dis-membered-ness of many console,console-to-IPs lately
+ of course
I really want to SNAP-OFF all those copy-the-germans stuck-on Ipad screens :-(
:nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.