Looking back: 1983 Ford's "Aero" T-Bird - Ford Inside News Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Ford Sport Ka
Looking back: 1983 Ford's "Aero" T-Bird

Truly a ground breaking design!

The Thunderbird became a lot more exciting with its landmark “aero” redesign for 1983, dramatically signaling Ford Motor Comany’s turn to clean, low drag styling.
1983 Ford Thunderbird Promo
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Ford Falcon Ute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Looking back: 1983 Ford's "Aero" T-Bird

Love it! The styling at this time was such a departure, same for the Cougar and Mark VII, and it really was for the best.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Ford Focus ZX
Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

When that car came out, I was a kid a just a few years from my license. I was a Ford kid in a Ford family, but the late 70's/early 80's sucked for domestic cars...period.

Worse, Ford had all but disappeared from NASCAR and that was the only racing besides the Indy 500 that got televised whatsoever.

Then, '83...the Mustang gets a minor (but handsome and worthwhile) update, more Blue Ovals replace boring F O R D scripts on cars (strange to say, it was a big statement), and the Daytona 500 was led by a couple of the new "aero" birds...if sadly won by a Pontiac. Buddy Baker would get a TBird into Daytona's victory lane that July.

This is when it all changed, for me. There was a visible...I dunno, confidence all of a sudden. The paint scheme on the Mustang GT along with its 18-hp upgrade made it really striking compared to what was on the road, the F-series had taken the sales crown a bit earlier and was wearing its Blue-Oval grille-ornament proudly, and even more boring vehicles (midsize LTD) were very handsome for the time.

The Aero TBird, though...especially in Turbo Coupe fittings...was freakin' delicious. Yeah, its motors were pretty forgettable and it would be a few years until it got the much-needed intercooler...but I got to watch Bill Elliott kick everyone's ass to the moon in that bodywork, and that was a great way to get to driving age.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Ford Falcon Ute
Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

My favorite Ford of all time...

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________
My current car: 2012 Ford Explorer XLT AWD

Sponsored Links

1983, aero, back, ford, tbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page