Ford Inside News banner

2018 Expedition spied/REVEAL:posts57.../Links~post97/HPs=post117...

52K views 226 replies 29 participants last post by  dcorbett 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·

This does look to be more of a drivetrain test mule, seeing how the platform of the F-150 will be modified at the rear for the Expedition. I think engineers just added on the extra mass/weight to see how the modified platform handles.

One thing I noticed is that the sales leading Suburban/Tahoe look nothing like the Silverado or Sierra at the front. They have a less work truck look. I expect Ford to do the same with the new Expedition. Maybe going more bold and upscale looking like the Explorer.

#9 ·
Maybe they will reveal it in LA to leave the Production Navi for Detroit or vice versa. Can't see them both debuting at the same time would steal thunder from each other.

Reactions: scford58 and 2b2
#10 ·
I think what we're seeing here is a mule and not the final shape, but close. The F-150 is due for a facelift soon and from what I can see, will be more inline with the 2017 Raptor. Notice on that truck how the grill is shaped differently, wrapping all the way underneath instead of stopping at the bumper. My theory is that this slightly-refreshed front end is going to make its debut on the F-150 and the next Expedition at nearly the same time. Also on the photos above, notice the very distinct shape of the visible glass on the rear-most side windows. I think the Expedition is going to have a slightly sloping roof in the back, and that the camo we see on this mule was arranged that way so they could approximate visibility issues.

Regardless of my conjecture, I think we'll see the reveal before too long. It's supposedly a 2018 MY vehicle, so it'll hit the sales floor some time in the summer or fall of 2017, which means we'll probably see it in all its glory at a major auto show either late this year or early next year. I personally can't wait. I've needed an F-150 with a third row seat for a long time, but there's something about the front end of the current model Expy that just turns me right off. Hoping their offer an FX4 package or something even beefier. I need some skit plates.

#12 ·
the 18 expy has been spied with its actual camoed sheetmetal last month. it has the body of the navigator concept (which the navigator has been recently spied to have adopted as well) but looks to take most styling cues from the explorer. it still looks body on frame and the suspension looks to carry over, atleast in the rear. im new to the forum so im still trying to figure out how to upload photos.

#13 ·
There should be an attachment button or you can try an image hosting site like photobucket.

#16 ·
^ web-guessing for Expedition = Chicago / Feb 9?-13-21**
& Navi = NYC / Apr 12-14-23

** The 2017 Chicago Auto Show will feature two days of media preview, with events starting at 7:30 a.m. Feb. 9 and ending the afternoon of Feb. 10...​
tho so far
DEBUT VEHICLES / FORD:
2018 EcoSport
2018 F-150
have not yet found a press conference schedule

#20 ·
the first one is the newest one. i like how the light allows you make out a good amount of the front end. they both look to show what either the platinum or 22s wheel option will look like. these photos make me more anxious to see it.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
^ I don't remember seeing anything like that on aNother Ford vehicle...
...was kinda wondering about 'autono-m-o-u-s-y'

dcorbett @ elsewhere said:
Posted Today, 07:39 AM
hopefully its soon. i kinda have a feeling theyll do a teaser for it during a super bowl commercial, like how cadillac teased the ct6 before the official unveilling.
ya know, I bet you're right
maybe a media-only event cough*Mustang*cough the day-or-so BEFORE the Superbowl
+ telling everyone they'll *show* it in a 'mmercial during the game
then they can have it at the Chicago autoshow without it being a precedent/debut-exactly

#25 ·
Re: 2018 Expedition 'teased'

imho NOT a good source (for other than stock market info) but...

Ford Plans Unveil of Redesigned Expedition, its Large and Highly Profitable SUV
The Street

Doron Levin - Jan 30, 2017

Ford (F) is expected to announce this week, with much fanfare and hoopla, a redesigned Expedition, the carmaker's biggest SUV...
...Presumably, Ford's big SUV will be made from aluminum, like the F-Series pickup on which its architecture probably will be based. The architecture likely will be the basis for the debut later in 2017 of the Lincoln Navigator...

...To create the biggest possible splash for Expedition, Ford has invited journalists to a press conference in Dearborn, Mich., on Tuesday. The initial briefing will be followed by a gala press event at the Dallas Cowboys training facility in Texas, a state much beloved of auto executives selling big SUVs and pickup trucks....

- - - - - - -

I didn't see where they said WHICH Tuesday ... tomorrow?
OR the one after the Superbowl?? (Tues, Feb.7 JUST before the Chicago Autoshow - Media: Feb.9)

#28 ·
Re: 2018 Expedition 'confirmed'

...I didn't see where they said WHICH Tuesday ...
OR the one after the Superbowl?? (Tues, Feb.7 JUST before the Chicago Autoshow - Media: Feb.9)
Ford to Reveal All-New Vehicle in Texas Next Month
Ford-Trucks.com

By Derek Shiekhi - January 31, 2017

We received an email from Ford inviting us to the Dallas Cowboys’ training facility early next month. The reason? To witness the unveiling of “an all-new vehicle that is the very definition of adaptable, smart and capable,” said the invitation...
...see what Ford has been hiding under all of the cladding next Tuesday...

#26 · (Edited)
^ we will see what happens after the press event tomorrow. But I expect to see the Expedition before the Super Bowl, so it can be in an ad in some way. Remember, the F-150 is the Official Truck of the SuperBowl. So Ford Trucks own the Super Bowl.

And wouldn't it be a waste to have the NG aluminum Expedition ready to go, and not have it teased during the Super Bowl, next to the new 2018 aluminum 10-speed F-150.

#31 ·

With it's clean lines, the 2018 Expedition seems to have a little Flex going on. So no dip at the side mirror or kick up at the back of the doors like F-150.

And with the new 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, the 2018 Explorer should offer the same 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque of the F-150, which out-powers the 2017 Tahoe 5.3L V8 at 355hp and 383 torque. With the new aluminum body, Expedition should offer better performance, out tow, out haul and offer better MPG, with auto start-stop which should be standard, along with the new 10-speed transmission.

And with all the grill options available on the F-150, I wonder if Ford will offer similar for Expedition.

And look at how GM markets the Tahoe "Confident. Capable. Connected." where the 2018 Expedition is "Adaptable, Smart and Capable,"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.