#1 ·
Ford Considering RS Badged SUVs - AutoVerdict

- - - - - - -

ditto^ - "the scotsman"/pressreader.com

- - - - - - -

Ford plotting RS versions of its SUVs
CarDealerMagazine.co.UK

James Baggott - March 14, 2017

FORD’S global director of performance has revealed the brand is seriously considering making hot RS versions of its SUVs.

In the clearest possible hint yet that the Blue Oval is planning performance versions of its 4x4s, performance chief Dave Pericak said he feels there’s definitely ‘an opportunity’ to be explored.

Asked if an RS badge could ever work on a Ford SUV, he said: ‘If you did what you needed to do to make it perform the way that an RS should, the answer would be sure.

'I think customers love performance. I think the definition of what that means for an SUV might be different than what it means for a Focus or for a Fiesta. But I think that we’ve seen, even in the US and globally, that people like aggressive-looking cars, they like sporty, they want the power and pick-up and engine improvement, so I think the answer is yes. SUV customers would appreciate performance, for sure.’

Audi has ventured into the performance SUV market with its SQ5 and SQ7 models, while the likes of Porsche has offered hot versions of its Macan and Cayenne models for years.

However, Pericak isn’t impressed with the current performance SUV offerings – hinting further that if Ford were to do an RS version it would be a true performance car.

Most likely to get the RS treatment would be the Kuga, its underpinnings especially capable of a performance upgrade. The Edge and EcoSport models could follow suit.

‘If you look at the SUV market right now, there aren’t too many credible performance SUVs out there,’ he said. ‘There are people who have made partial attempts at it and there are different things that have happened, but there are no real credible ones. So, I think that’s an area of some opportunity, for sure.’

Pericak explained that extending the RS brand even further across the Ford range was not an impossibility and that even models such as the Fiesta could once again wear the fabled badge.

‘What RS stands for could be applied to other products, for sure,’ he said. ‘I think that RS can be applied to many different products, it just has to meet certain criteria.’

When asked if the new Fiesta ST was as hot as it was going to get, Pericak explained that it was ‘as hot as it gets to date’, strongly suggesting a more powerful version is being considered. Many fast Ford fans would love to see an RS version that takes design cues from the firm’s Fiesta-based rally car.

Andy Barratt, chairman and managing director of Ford of Britain, went as far as to suggest the firm was planning on mocking up a Fiesta based on the rally car for the road. ‘We’re experimenting with the idea of building a running show car that can be demonstrated on the road,’ he said.

- - - - - - -

crossreference: the BRONCO thread

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
No, it's Just Ford Europe working out a way to gouge ROW customers for an Edge Sport.
The Americans ge all sorts of great combinations like V6 EB in Edge and Fusion but for
Europe and ROW customers it's boring 2.0 Ecoboost...snoozefest.

we've surrendered a S/C 5,0 Falcon for a RHD atmo Mustang, too much ground
is being given up to "One (useless) Ford" all in deference to Euro buyers
who live in crap central for fuel prices.

#5 · (Edited)
For sure some lame brain decisions on what engines are allowed in the EU Mondeo and especially the Edge saddled with the choice of tractor engines only.
But I did not realize that Jim Farley dictated to Dave Schoch what Edge spec is sent to the Aussie market from Oakville?

My issue is slapping RS badges on high riding vehicles. A S badge, or Sport or ST-Line is fine but RS is for facking Rally Sport vehicles. And I just cannot envision a Kuga/Escape or Edge having anything to do with the image of being a Rally Sport type machine.

I have zero issue with Performance vehicles be it car or tall vehicles. And also I don't think Ford euro fans have any issues with large engines with the Mustang V8 out selling the 2.3EB big time. I think the V8 is around 80% of sales.

BTW, Ford Europe has change the Sport trim to ST-Line on the Edge

Attachments

#6 ·
BTW, Ford Europe has change the Sport trim to ST-Line on the Edge
Oh good I was going to say with your earlier comment that ST would be more appropriate but looks like that was already covered. I guess it really just matters what SUV/Crossover they do this for and how they handle it. If it's just an extra 10 HP with some stickers then it's a waste. Something like an Expedition RS would be incredibly stupid.

Reactions: 2b2
#7 ·
If they want something above 'Sport' for CUVs/SUVs, I would consider ST-X.
The R in RS should be for Racing!

Reactions: 2b2
#9 ·

:thumb:
Radical Utility Velocitizer
from
2b2@AV said:
imho they shouldN'T start with a Focus-based//ie Escape//ie smallISH "RUV"
Radical Utility Velocitizer
but
do a close to to the whole lineup as possible -- with the 'ception
that they'll prolley start with AllNew models
&
I hope the raised Lincoln STARstang sportbrake "XS" is in the first group
D A K A R !

#20 · (Edited)
...suddenly I'm wondering about a drastically modified EcoSport with the FoRS drivetrain forced down its throat...
... :nerd: BAZINGA!
superquick googling (wts doN'T nec. lineup with engines, except the RS)

2017 Ford Escape/Curb weight
1.5EB/2.0EB/2.5na // _?_
3,502 to 3,645 lbs to _?_

2017 Ford Focus/Curb weight
1.0EB / 2.0na // 2.3EB+GKNawd
2,935 to 3,055 lbs -- 3,525 pounds

Ford EcoSport 1.5 Diesel - Ford EcoSport EcoBoost Petrol
1498cc 4cyl common-rail - 998cc, 3-cylinder turbo - _?_
1290kg / 2,838 LBS --- 1259kg / 2,770 LBS --- _?_

Attachments

#13 ·
I agree with this

#15 ·
I doubt anybody believes this negatively impacts the SRT8 brand?

A RWD based AWD vehicle based on the same platform as the in many ways at or near the top of the class GLE63 AMG does not sully a sub brand that was established initially with a Jeep variant. The RS brand was founded on the back of such rally legends as the RS200, and as such is not well represented by FWD based AWD SUVs especially considering the aggression of the current Focus RS.

With that being said , and as aforementioned. I believe that a Ford Escape RS could definitely be something special with the 2.3 EB engine, and GKN Twinster AWD from the Focus RS.

#16 ·
Pericak mentioned opportunities for RS, but perhaps also within the Ford Peformance brand. That's what I am hoping for, and that's what I read into his words. Ford has to fill quite a few more vehicles under the Ford Performance umbrella anyway. Obviously a Focus based Escape makes the most sense to perpetuate the storied RS brand, and I trust Ford would not drop that ball. And I agree with Pericak, the choices and performance levels for current SUV's is mostly weak, considering the huge growth in them.

And a performance CUV is the best of all worlds.

#17 ·
germeezy1 said:
With that being said , and as aforementioned. I believe that a Ford Escape RS could definitely be something special with the 2.3 EB engine, and GKN Twinster AWD from the Focus RS.
Plus the Lincoln MKC already uses the 2.3 EB and 6AT AWD configuration,
so a manual and an auto trans package would be possible..in an Escape ST

Across US and global markets, a Focus ST might get up...

#18 ·
Hmm a 2.7 MKC Red Label? :angel:-(

Reactions: jpd80 and hbmf3
#21 ·
The more that I think of , and appreciate the brand ethos of the RS sub brand the more I think that these SUVs need to be featured under the ST sub brand. I find the 2.3 EB to be a bit of a disappointment in the Focus RS, and the engine is not notable in any way in my humble opinion prior to ECU modifications. Although I will be the first to admit that I am a bit jaded power wise even the performance numbers bear witness to the fact that the Focus RS is still broadly at Golf R, and STi level performance in a straight line.

#22 ·
These days, the level of basic performance is much higher than say 20 years ago, so the differential
between a base version and a sports version is less unless the manufacturer wants to go really wild.

The 2.3 EB with Ford's power up tune looks impressive, not so much the power but the 395 lb ft
really adds another dimension to cars like the Mustang so I can only imagine how that would fly
in something like the Escape - an ST badge would be justified with the right equipment but not RS.

#23 ·
Ford already has ST-worthy levels of SUV /CUV performance with Edge Sport, Explorer Sport, even Flex and Escape Sport appearance package (2.0L) can be considered quite sporty and easy to get to ST levels, by simply offering a bit more engine, which is pretty much all they did to Focus ST. Lincoln has their variants as well. So when you add up their Ford Performance brand vehicles, I can't think of a single brand that offers more overall performance across so many segments.

It is my opinion, at least in NA, that amping up the SUV /CUV performance segments would require quite a bit more than what is already in place today.

#25 ·
The Sport trim SUV/CUV's I mentioned earlier are at similar "divergence" levels to their respective base trim models, as there is between a Focus and Focus ST. Same with their respective chassis upgrades, which is little more than bigger dia. wheels/tires and tweaked damper/sway bar settings. That's it.

My point again, Ford already has near ST levels of performance bumps across some segments, and it would be a small reach to achieve that same ST level bump in the Escape Sport -- thus, RS is the better choice, in my most humble of opinions, and the better argument.

Besides, RS is technically not a brand, if there is only a single product offered.

#26 · (Edited)
It's certainly an interesting change after years of Ford Europe protecting the RS badge
and keeping low run /exclusive to a handful of Focus builds.

I remember reading an article regarding this topic in the recent past where Ford was hesitant
to offer high end sports model citing the massive increases in power / performance required
to attract the targeted buying groups... perhaps those sports models you mentioned have
changed that POV and given actual feedback on what real customers want.

Without those necessary Sports or ST versions existing, I doubt that Ford would be even
considering range topping RS versions, it's kind of a mental evoluton process that Ford's
management has to go through before they realize what their customers are willing to buy..

Perhaps those sales results also crack the door open on Ford building more Vignale and
sports versions not only for Europe but for those to flow to ROW customers as well.
We can only hope so.

#27 ·
That then begs the question of other performance branded products they have like Mustang GT and Taurus SHO (if the Taurus survives).

#29 ·
Oh man those Cosworths!

#34 · (Edited)
Why not a Shelby Cobra Escape, Edge? (sarcastic ?)

Obvious to me that the RS heritage has no meaning in North America and will probably come to fruitation under the current execs inside the HQ's of the Blue Oval. Milk it for all it's got and to **** with what is a very important part of Ford Performance history.

Attachments

#35 · (Edited)
Perhaps the terms GT above ST would have more appeal in the rest of the world.
Follow me for a bit,

Rally Sport (RS) really is a badge on its own and pertains to a particular genre of cars.
I doubt that performance Utilities would have anything like the potential or aspirations
of equaling the performance delivered in the Focus RS package - they clearly will be different.

Now if Ford was to gather up all the US Sport versions of Fusion, Edge, Explorer and hopefully Escape,
then I think we see a clear path ot international ST but above that, I doubt the RS badge would work the
way that Ford thinks...I kind of think the next level up shoudl be something like ST Plus or maybe GT Badge.
Grand Tourer seems to fit better with the image of a HP Utility than Rally Sport... Just sayin'..

PS,
I wouldn't mind seeing a hot Fiesta RS with an amped up 2.0 Ecoboost feeding 300 horsepower
through a nice AWD set up would be 100% wicked. and a bit cheaper price than the Focus RS...

Oh and Ecosport with 2.0 Ecoboost and AWD.... the list goes on..:)

#36 · (Edited)
If Ford historically bowed to purists only, then there would be a legion of fans left without their desired products. Imagine a Ford without performance trucks, SUV’s, wagons, 4 door family sedans, etc. I say bullocks. As Pericak stated, they will look into it, because obviously customers are demanding it, and that quite simply is the bottom line. Also as stated, it would only come to market, if they can deliver an RS worthy product. And yeah, some purist will never be happy, even if said product was stellar.

If they create a UK Escape RS, I of course hope that One Ford would bring it here as well. The basics would include:
-Next generation platform
-Torque-vectoring AWD only
-Massive wheels and sticky tires
-1.5” suspension drop with carefully worked suspension
-9 speed automatic with rapid paddle shift option (consider the demographic)
-350hp / 380ftlb tune in upgraded 2.3L

#39 ·
Again I say I have no issues with Ford Performance SUV/CUV vehicles. My issue is slapping a Rallye Sport racing heritage badge on them. As I asked before, would you have issues with a Cobra, Shelby badge on a Edge or Escape?
I would hope Ford would have a little bit of creativity to be able to come up with a decent sport/performance name for their high performance SUV/CUV.

Reactions: germeezy1
#37 ·
I can see all sides of this, kinda agreeing with everyone on the thread:

I'm always for more performance Fords, but I'm also against diluting the "RS" sub-brand. Seeing Chevy slapping "SS" badges on everything in sight some years back was laughable.

I get the marketability of CUVs right now, but I'd much rather have a Focus ST/RS wagon than a similar Escape that would be lowered and thus lose its (marginal) off-road capabilities...and thus, making it a wagon with an unfortunately high center of gravity. This is how I feel about most performance CUVs.

I also wonder if the 2.3 will gain some tweaks to make it better, overall. It seems like it's on the good side of competent, but lacking some critical elements...especially in the Mustang.

#40 ·
I have never truly enjoyed the 2.0, and 2.3 EB in any configuration or format. They also suffer greatly in the aftermarket, and against far older port injected designs like the 4G63 from Mitsubishi. My simple point is that the ST sub brand can easily accommodate what Ford intends for its performance SUVs unless of course they plan to truly bring RS level performance to the aforementioned SUVs.

#42 ·
You still don't get it and I am sure never will. But at least you get my point as your understanding of a Cobra Escape sounds ridiculous as to me does a Escape RS and just as extreme example.

#43 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.