Ford Inside News banner

2017 GT500 Site Active!!!

13K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  Andrew L 
#1 ·
See less See more
Reactions: 2b2
#3 ·
I have no problem with the GT EcoBoost being used in a Mustang. Just not sure if it should have the GT500 name.

Reactions: 2b2
#4 ·
1. That engine just won it's class at Le Mans.
2. 650HP/650TQ, + lighter weight than a turbe/super Voodoo

I agree it feels wrong, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be pretty awesome!

My guess is it'll be Voodoo based, with one of the two boosting options. I'd guess it'll be supercharged as there isn't exactly a lot of room for turbos under that hood.

#6 ·
A boosted V8 is more than likely, although no need for Voodoo, if you have boost.

But I am intrigued by the idea of a 650hp tuned GT motor that would be much lighter and have that raucus racing sound. As much as 130bs lighter even -- recalling how much weight was added to the previous GT500 over the Boss? I think a new GT500 can go in a slightly different direction than the competition (Hellcat ZL1) by starting with the lighter bits from the GT350R, and perhaps take it a step further yet, and undercut the R weight a bit, while including A/C, back seat niceties, etc. So the R weights 3662lbs. How about a 3600lbs GT500 with an updated chassis that can easily top 200mph, and steal the press. Why not, if it's your halo Mustang after all. The power to weight would be very impressive, and been there done that over and over and over with boosted V8's. On top of it all, cheating the gas guzzler tax(which adds a hefty increase to purchase cost) would be nice too. Yeah, no classic V8 sound is a slight drawback, but the draw would be it's uniqueness. Stand out from the low volume crowd.

Either way, can't wait.

#11 ·
There are enough Mustang names I think. Do we really need to confuse with another? The 500 is just the pinnacle level for stang. It denotes nothing in terms of engine size or performance metrics.

I say stick with what is good. It will not cancel out the great legacy, and if it outperforms all previous versions, which it surely will, then the legacy continues.

#14 ·
.....The Focus RS gets AWD and not the Mustang GT500?? GT500 needs to have a more powerful V8, along with lightweight aluminum suspension components, carbon fiber wheels and body panels(hood, hatch). This would be a new high water mark leading to the new next gen Mustang coming an a few years. And Mustang, like F-150, can't go years without class leading innovation.

#16 ·
^ otoh (if one is given to speculation...)
*IF* an Awd-only (electro/Virtual-Awd/3.0T) STARstang is getting closer...
+
(tho related) just how w-i-d-e of a price range is ideal for the MusStang??

&
what have been the historic roles for the BOSS & Mach?
would one or the other suit the 3.5EB better than the other?
(also, have they been offered simultaneously before?)

#40 ·
I think it would be amazing to take on the Hellcat/Demon/ZL1 1LE
with a Boss 429 (7.0)
Finish off S550 with a two year run.
2019 will have '69 cues ...body color hood scoop etc and
a limited (5) color palette with
SHADOW BLACK
ROYAL CRIMSON
OXFORD WHITE
KONA BLUE
RACE RED
then a 2020 featuring '70 cues... flat black hood scoop, etc
and a limited (5) color palette with
GRABBER BLUE (Boss only)
OXFORD WHITE
ORANGE FURY
LEAD FOOT GRAY
RACE RED

2019 Production limited to 859
2020 Production limited to 499
Price $99,429

#44 ·
That is only one day too they could have been benchmarking against the ZL1 just that day and 1LE another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.