GT-500 with new 7.0!?!? - Ford Inside News Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus ZX

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork
GT-500 with new 7.0!?!?

OK, I'm not sure I believe this...but I saw (briefly) a rumor that the new GT-500 would be getting the strongly-rumored 7.0 mill instead of the anticipated turbo'd or blown 5.0/5.2...

...anyone else see this?
2b2 likes this.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Ford Kuga

Re: GT-500 with new 7.0!?!?

I have heard the rumor, and I embrace it with everything that is me. I sincerely hope that it will force FCA, and GM to release and / or develop an LT7 , and a 426 Hemi to compete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:23 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Latest Rumor: Next Shelby GT500 Mustang Will Have A 7.0L V8
FordAuthority

by Aaron Birch — Apr 11, 2017

With all the talk of supercharged 5.2L Voodoo motors regarding the (yet-unconfirmed) future Shelby GT500 Mustang, we’d gotten rather cozy with the thought that that’s exactly the motor the new super-‘Stang would get.

But now, a new rumor has surfaced: that the forthcoming Shelby GT500 will be powered by a brand-new, normally-aspirated V8 displacing 7.0 liters. However, be sure to take the news with a grain of salt, as it comes from a site we’ve never heard of called “SpeedTwitch,” which has made some other dubious claims in the recent past – e.g. that the 2019 F-150 Raptor will be powered by the same 7.0L V8, and that the 2017 Ford GT would have “the best power-to-weight-ratio [sic] of any car, ever” with 630 horsepower and a 2,890 curb weight.

Not only are both figures inaccurate, but there are quite a few cars with better power-to-weight ratios (Porsche 918, Ferrari LaFerrari, etc.).

Yet, to SpeedTwitch‘s credit, Ford is indeed reportedly planning to announce a new 7.0-liter V8 to replace its aging 6.8-liter V10 (according to Automotive News). We have our doubts as to whether such a mammoth truck engine could be made to fit neatly into the S550 Mustang, but SpeedTwitch claims an insider told the outlet: “Ford’s new 7.0L V8 variant will be built in Canada, and the short blocks for the motor will be sent to [Ford Performance Technical Center] in Concord for the addition of ‘go-fast’ parts.” The insider also reportedly said the Shelby GT500’s V8 “will feature direct injection, and some seriously high-flowing heads and upper intake assembly.”

We won’t hold our breath.

FordSUVfan likes this.

• Navi info/pix
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
&
&
& more...

• "The perception that a Lincoln is less, is more important than the reality that Lincoln is more than enough", SP1966

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

They posted this at GMI a week or so ago. I figure it'll be the 7.0 or the long rumored, but well kept secret 6.0 inline 12 quad turbo motor. I much prefer the latter, though losing the front passenger seat to make room gives me pause.
2b2 and badhac like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

So the Dodge Demon has 840HP, runs a sub 3.0 second 0-60 and sub 10 second quarter mile! It's absurd on every possible level, which I guess it what makes it so cool.
germeezy1 likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Ford Explorer

Assuming this were true,
a DOHC 7.0L NA V8 would be hard pressed to pass 650hp and would be a packaging nightmare (5.0L barely fits stang).
A OHV version could package nicely, but would be hard pressed to make more power than the voodoo motor.
A supercharged 7.0L can make Demon like power, but also packages horribly and adds a lot of weight too.

Here is what we know, the mod based V10 is going away and Ford needs a new gas engine to replace it for truck use.
So, what do you do, if you are Ford and you need a new and low cost option to an expensive Diesel. If you think logically, you might get the answer to what Ford is building and for what.
germeezy1 likes this.

=======================

Every sub-$50,000 car on the market will have to answer to the Ford from now on, no matter what badge it brings to the table.

-Road&Track
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:03 PM
Ford Kuga

A Raptor 6.2 based 427 would be just what the doctor ordered, and would make an excellent HD truck engine with different cam profiles, and a long runner intake.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
If you think logically...
And for the rest of us?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Ford Explorer

I wonder what it would cost to make the Mustang Cobra Jet street legal.

The Demon is basically a barely-street-legal version of Ford and Chevy drag machines, albeit much slower.
hbmf3 and loubif like this.

=======================

Every sub-$50,000 car on the market will have to answer to the Ford from now on, no matter what badge it brings to the table.

-Road&Track
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:24 PM
Ford Focus

Well...the gauntlet has been dropped. It is only fitting that Ford come up with an appropriate answer, like the Cobra Jet!!!
wingsnut, 2b2 and loubif like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page