1968 Shelby EXP 500 fails to sell at Barrett-Jackson despite $1.8 million bid - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
FIN Moderator

1968 Shelby EXP 500 fails to sell at Barrett-Jackson despite $1.8 million bid

1968 Shelby EXP 500 fails to sell at Barrett-Jackson despite $1.8 million bid
Autoblog
January 19, 2013
by Jeremy Korzeniewski

EXP, in the case of the 1968 Ford Mustang you see above, stands for Experimental. You see, this is one of the cars used by the Shelby American team in the development of a long list of classic Shelby Mustang models.

The car, powered by a 390-cubic-inch V8 engine and known internally as The Green Hornet, underwent a huge number of upgrade sessions that saw it receive experimental fuel injection, independent rear suspension and unique disc brakes. That's right, a Ford Mustang with IRS!

In a somewhat baffling turn of events, despite a top bid of $1.8 million, The Green Hornet's reserve price wasn't met, meaning it stays with its current owner for at least one more auction cycle. Have a good look at our image gallery above, and be sure to watch the video below that shows all the fast and furious bidding action. You can also see some additional live footage here from Speed.

Video and images available at link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: 1968 Shelby EXP 500 fails to sell at Barrett-Jackson despite $1.8 million bid

wow wonder what the reserve was if 1.8 million didn't get it.

Love the color!

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Re: 1968 Shelby EXP 500 fails to sell at Barrett-Jackson despite $1.8 million bid

I love the exclusivity of that car, but I've never really liked the non fastback/convertable Stangs myself. I agree with Andrew too, love the deep green!!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Ford Focus

Maybe if it had a 428/427. I think the 390 killed it.

2013 F650 XLT SC Rollback, 2013 F150 STX RCSB 5.0, 2013 Escape Titanium (wifes) & 73 Cutlass 455 4 Speed.
My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LSchicago2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
$18, 1968, 500, barrettjackson, bid, exp, fails, million, sell, shelby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page