Ford Inside News banner

Mercury Sable review&'Ode' - Warren Brown, WashingtonPost

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  emdee 
#1 ·
thanks (again) to sternravnik @ GMI

WashingtonPost - ON WHEELS: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier

By Warren Brown - Sunday, June 8, 2008; Page G01
< Autodeadline.com photo

"...a big automobile, ministerial in demeanor, fitting for formal ceremonies. Such cars do not inspire. But neither do they disappoint.

The Sable and similar liveries are comfort zones, automotive wombs designed to shield the transported from the realities of transportation. Imperfect roads become gentle undulations in their cabins...

...considering its utility and safety, it very well might be the car that many of us need. "

See less See more
#3 ·
His review reminds me of my impression written on GMI long ago of the Five Hundred, where I concluded that the reason I could best imagine myself wanting that car was that many irritating things happen on a 12 hour work shift like I was doing at the time, and that I'd surely want something very quiet and mannered to drive home in. For that, it was great.

#4 ·
This guy gets some of it right, but his comments about how the Sable handles corners are downright ludicrous. I've rented 08 Sables and Tauruses and driven them very aggressively. They handle very well, frankly, better than the last V8 Taurus SHO I owned. They make cornering so easy and un-dramatic that perhaps he thought the handling was uninspired. A better way to describe it would be to say their emergency handling is uneventful and competent. I found it almost impossible to get into trouble with either the front drive or AWD versions. I even had some very challenging moments when I was traveling way too fast and suddenly realized I was in the wrong lane of an Illinois toll road and and had to cut across two lanes about as fast as ever in my life. To make it worse, it was right at a spot where there was a deep dip in the road between the lanes because of construction going on. I thought sure I was in trouble, but Taurus sailed through it and settled in the correct lane in the blink of an eye without a hint of instability. To suggest that these cars handle like the land yachts of old is simply nonsense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.