Lincoln Continental Sales on the Rise - Ford Inside News Community
 176Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

Post Lincoln Continental Sales on the Rise

Thanks to the new Lincoln Continental turning heads everywhere it goes, along with offering a truly impressive luxury experience, it’s earned a second place spot amongst full-size premium luxury sedan sales in the United States. As always, Mercedes-Benz tops the list with 1,275 units sold. Ford’s Lincoln Continental comes in at a fairly close second with 1,061 units sold. Next up comes GM’s Cadillac CT6 selling 1,001 units. Following Cadillac is BMW’s 7-Series with 524 sales. The Volvo S90 sold 473 times. The new Genesis Motors brand’s G90 sold 397 units. The Lexus LS only sold 317. Even less than that, the Audi A8/S8 sold 216 units of the full-size premium luxury sedan.

Apparently, people in America have had their eyes opened by the impressive new products coming from both General Motors and the Ford Motor Company. Unfortunately for Lexus, the stale, old drivetrain in the otherwise excellent LS460 has been having a lot of trouble interesting buyers in the United States. The Mercedes-Benz S-Class never seems to have trouble but the Bavarian company must be concerned about the future of both the Lincoln and Cadillac as more and more people see their latest achievement on the road in their impressive stances. Read more...
2b2, Logans Run, hbmf3 and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
/
/

2014 BMW X5, 2010 Weistec/Renntech E63 AMG (800hp on 93 octane), 1999 Mazda 626 (visitor beater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Re: Lincoln Continental Sales on the Rise

I'd only argue with the rise part. The Continental appears to have settled into a pretty consistent 1.1K or so. What the article does show though is that relative to other large premium sedans that is a very successful number to be moving! I'd be very curious to see the breakdown in trim levels and ATP represented in that 1.1K.
2b2 likes this.
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:51 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

THANKS for sharing that, Sal!

tho some will not agree with comparing cars that ARE close to the same size (over closer in price)
I DO

#1 Mercedes S class sales for May 2017 are 1,275
#2 Lincoln Continental sales for May 2017 are 1,061
#3 Cadillac CT6 sales for May 2017 are 1,001
< Wow need to put a line-space in here for the big diff...
#4 BMW 7 Series sales for May 2017 are 524
#5 Volvo S90 sales for May 2017 are 473
#6 Genesis G90 sales for May 2017 are 397
#7 Lexus LS sales for May 2017 are 317
#8 Audi A8/S8 sales for May 2017 are 216
crossreference for Andrew's Luxury BRAND Sales thread

• Navi info/pix
&
&
&
& more...

• "The perception that a Lincoln is less, is more important than the reality that Lincoln is more than enough", SP1966

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

I think this goes to show that American luxury is either back - or at the very least - on it's way back. Look at the new Escalade and Navigator. What's better for that size class? Really, nothing. Sure, there might be something better about the LX570 or maybe something better about the QX80 - I don't know - but over all, how many people would rather be in one of those vehicles? Leave out Mercedes or Range Rover - they're not the same size. When they offer a full-size SUV, let me know. Let's see what BMW's X7 brings to the table.

So we have full-size SUVs that are pretty much at the top of people's want lists - and now we have the CT6 and Continental - which most people don't even know about yet - moving up the sales charts. Everybody knows about the S-Class. Nobody knows about the Continental besides you, me and some guy named Paul in Afghanistan. That's it. And it's still selling really well...
2b2, hbmf3, Bloggin and 1 others like this.

/
/
/
/
/
/
/

2014 BMW X5, 2010 Weistec/Renntech E63 AMG (800hp on 93 octane), 1999 Mazda 626 (visitor beater)
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Ford Kuga

I'd like to see how many Jaguar XJ sold. I imagine it would be down in the low hundreds.
I think the Caddy XTS was actually leading this list for many months, but took a dive (fleet sales) last month.

I live near the best selling Lexus and BMW dealers around here, and I never see any 7-series or LSs on the road.
2b2 and Bloggin like this.

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

I will post what I posted on AV:

I am glad to see solid Continental sales but comparing it to the S Class is a stretch. S Class starts at 96k and can go well into the 100k range. Continental starts in the mid 40s and tops out in the low 80s.

What I find amazing is how similar they are in size though with the SWB model:

S-Class
wb 119.5
length 201.4

Continental
wb 117.9
length 201.4

Obviously that gets thrown out with the S-Class having a LWB model which the Continental does not offer, but if rumors are true and they are still developing a model above the Continental ie Town Car or Continental Town Car then it could get interesting especially on price point. It will prove if Lincoln can demand higher prices. We will get a preview with the Navigator coming later this year.
wingsnut, 2b2, hbmf3 and 1 others like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Focus RS WRC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
I'd like to see how many Jaguar XJ sold. I imagine it would be down in the low hundreds.
I think the Caddy XTS was actually leading this list for many months, but took a dive (fleet sales) last month.

I live near the best selling Lexus and BMW dealers around here, and I never see any 7-series or LSs on the road.
Jaguar sold 202 XJs

Cadillac sold 778 XTS
2b2 likes this.
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Ford Focus

Arrow Re: Lincoln Continental Sales on the Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post

Obviously that gets thrown out with the S-Class having a LWB model which the Continental does not offer, but if rumors are true and they are still developing a model above the Continental ie Town Car or Continental Town Car then it could get interesting especially on price point. It will prove if Lincoln can demand higher prices. We will get a preview with the Navigator coming later this year.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Lincoln brought back the Town Car name in one form or the other, honestly they should have never gotten rid of it. I recall (i forget where) reading that the Navigator will top off well above 100K (Black Label models). I wouldn't be surprised, Lincoln knows they can command a higher price on the Navigator nameplate.
Sal Collaziano and Andrew L like this.
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 08:51 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

the ONLY good Panther Name is
MGM
^
" Car-as-big-as-a-Town-that-should-never-be-driven-off-the-highway "
& " CommercialVehicle " (I prefer to call it "Hapsburg Tiara" )
are 2 of the dumbest nomenclatures EVER!!

umm......no offense

• Navi info/pix
&
&
&
& more...

• "The perception that a Lincoln is less, is more important than the reality that Lincoln is more than enough", SP1966

Last edited by 2b2; 06-02-2017 at 08:53 PM.
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 PM
FIN Staff Member

I wonder what can improve the sales of Continental?

At 117.9" the wheelbase is larger than the new E-Class at 115.7" that it competes with.

And in my opinion, the Continental(5,273) looks better than the 2017 E-Clsss(3,854) with its rather awkward front end. But the E-Class has technology and build quality that Continental is reaching for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page