STARstang: the Beginning? - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Ford Kuga

Re: Lincstang: the Beginning?

Obviously you guys don't remember the Rancharo, and can't imagine the possibilities of a modern day interpretation.

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
Obviously you guys don't remember the Rancharo, and can't imagine the possibilities of a modern day interpretation.
The correct name is : El Ranchero. The Chevy version was El Camino. Spanish names for a car based pickups . Maybe this kind of cars could had a chance in today car bussines, where the fuel economy is determinant for the customers. i can imagine a Fusion based pickup called El Ranchero.I can imagine an hybrid version, too. This could make easy the launch of the wagon in USA. . Come on Ford. Niche vehicles like wagons and car-based pickups are good for profits if they use a mainstream platform, like the Fusion-Mondeo

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________

post #33 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Focus RS WRC

I still think a Flex could work. Not as El Ranchero but as something more utility and bigger. Take the Flex, leave the front passenger "cab" and make the rest part of a pickup bed.

As for a true Ranchero I would think the Fusion could be done up as a concept at first. How could the Mustang based RWD program fit into all this???

Don't they sell these type of "Utes" down under? Pontiac was to bring one over before the Brand was discontinued.
post #34 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Lincstang: the SECOND COMING?

fyi I copied the Ranchero posts to a new thread:
Ranchero-&-Ute-Lovers-Thread

and added a wiki link & pix...

...and
a Very timely historical perspective via Stéphane Dumas @ GMI

Continental Junior? Walter Dorwin Teague Jr.’s proposal for a Ford sports car in 1941 - Hemmings
Written by Daniel Strohl
July 12th, 2012 at 8:00 am

...at about the same time, Edsel Ford ordered the Lincoln Continental into production, earning the admiration of many a contemporary designer and stylist, (Walter) Dorwin (Teague Jr.) included. So when it came time for Dorwin to report back to Edsel in November 1940, Dorwin combined his fondness of foreign sports cars and the Lincoln Continental to propose an American sports car. “The best way to go about it would be to bring out a special version of the Ford or Mercury, following the lead of the Lincoln Continental cabriolet, only smaller, lower and less expensive- sort of a family sports car,” he wrote...

...consider another sporting four-passenger Ford product of 20 years later that Ford built off an existing volume platform using a line of high-performance engines and attractive styling. The first Mustang, philosophically speaking, follows Dorwin’s concept of a family sports car. Whether Dorwin ever noted the similarity we don’t know – he never seemed to have written about the Mustang – and, of course, the success of the Mustang had just as much to do with how Lee Iaccoca marketed and positioned it as it did with the overall philosophy of the car, but we can’t help but wonder whether Dorwin Teague’s family sports car would have influenced American auto design the same way the Mustang did.
post #35 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

thought of a maybe addition to the variety of engines I'd want for the LincStang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
...imho Lincoln needs to offer a wider range of engines - like other Lux mfgs - esp for Europe
so
- Nano 2.3EB upto 350hp**
- new 3.7-Atkinson Hybrid (thinking the 3.7/3.5 has lost its exclusiveness so just use it for an exclusive hybrid possibly including cylinder deactivation along with start-stop)
- v8 5.0EB (maybe with minor front-only electrics for about 700hp )
- turboDIESEL (maybe more than ONE )

the 2.7EB and 3.7H could probably be same-price/your-choice
**note: I strongly disagree with GM's 4cyl base-ATS plan ... Lincoln can add that later after securing a Luxury perception
edit/note2: I'd much rather have a Focus/C-Max/G.C-M based littlest Lincoln 4cyl sporty-ISH car to fill that rôle...

- a Voltec-ish* plugin with the 1.0EB including the eSupercharger (maybe 2? so it could have 'afterburner' performance on demand = if you're already moving above the low-end eCharger's speedlimit and FLOOR IT, the high-end eCharger would get turned on
(not sure a turbo would even be needed))
Thinking that including the Lux-Pony as a superEnergi™ might blow some minds in a good way
(wonder if the "superE" could be the same price your choice as the 5.0EB?)

* the ICE would drive the wheels under certain circumstances

edit
wanted to point out the LincStang wouldn't have ANY drivetrain in common with the Mustang...
...except possibly (one of) the diesel(s) & only in Europe
post #36 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:50 PM
FIN Moderator

Re: Lincstang: the SECOND COMING?

Quote:
fyi I copied the Ranchero posts to a new thread:
Ranchero-&-Ute-Lovers-Thread

and added a wiki link & pix...

...and
a Very timely historical perspective via Stéphane Dumas @ GMI

Continental Junior? Walter Dorwin Teague Jr.’s proposal for a Ford sports car in 1941 - Hemmings
Written by Daniel Strohl
July 12th, 2012 at 8:00 am

...at about the same time, Edsel Ford ordered the Lincoln Continental into production, earning the admiration of many a contemporary designer and stylist, (Walter) Dorwin (Teague Jr.) included. So when it came time for Dorwin to report back to Edsel in November 1940, Dorwin combined his fondness of foreign sports cars and the Lincoln Continental to propose an American sports car. “The best way to go about it would be to bring out a special version of the Ford or Mercury, following the lead of the Lincoln Continental cabriolet, only smaller, lower and less expensive- sort of a family sports car,” he wrote...

...consider another sporting four-passenger Ford product of 20 years later that Ford built off an existing volume platform using a line of high-performance engines and attractive styling. The first Mustang, philosophically speaking, follows Dorwin’s concept of a family sports car. Whether Dorwin ever noted the similarity we don’t know – he never seemed to have written about the Mustang – and, of course, the success of the Mustang had just as much to do with how Lee Iaccoca marketed and positioned it as it did with the overall philosophy of the car, but we can’t help but wonder whether Dorwin Teague’s family sports car would have influenced American auto design the same way the Mustang did.

That's a really nice car! I wonder what they would've named it?
post #37 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Ford Ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
i can imagine a Fusion based pickup called El Ranchero.I can imagine an hybrid version, too. This could make easy the launch of the wagon in USA. . Come on Ford. Niche vehicles like wagons and car-based pickups are good for profits if they use a mainstream platform, like the Fusion-Mondeo
I could see that happening I mean Subaru did offer a pick-up, wagon, and sedan, all based off the same platform
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3254[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3255[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3256[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg open_420x291.jpg (29.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2004_subaru_legacy_sedan_natl_4dr_outback_h6_3_0_auto_93585622421374774.jpg (48.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg subaru_legacy_wagon_2805962.jpg (69.7 KB, 3 views)
post #38 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

[QUOTE=NikkoCharger;53033]I could see that happening I mean Subaru did offer a pick-up, wagon, and sedan, all based off the same platform
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3254[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3255[/ATTACH]

Ok, if Subaru can do it, Ford too. And add a new midsize coupe , please. I dont know what is better : a midsize FWD Fusión based coupe or a completly new 4 seats, top of the line, Mustang-platform based Thunderbird. Personaly, i prefer the last one

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________

post #39 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

treat this as speculation if you like...

crossreference:
7 new Lincolns in 4 years

2012 MKZ (1st half)

2013 MKuGa
2013 MKZ (2nd half = Nano 2.7v6&EB)

2014 LincStang
2014 MKX
2014 Navi

2015 Continental
2015 Aviator

the split for 2014 & 2015 are guesses based on Ford Brand releases
post #40 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
treat this as speculation if you like...

crossreference:
7 new Lincolns in 4 years

2012 MKZ (1st half)

2013 MKuGa
2013 MKZ (2nd half = Nano 2.7v6&EB)

2014 LincStang
2014 MKX
2014 Navi

2015 Continental
2015 Aviator

the split for 2014 & 2015 are guesses based on Ford Brand releases
I think MKZ Hybrid is considered 1 of the 7.

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beginning, cd6, lincstang, musstang, rwd, s650, starstang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page