Lincoln to display compact crossover concept in Detroit - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
FIN Moderator

Lincoln to display compact crossover concept in Detroit

By Drew Johnson
Thursday, Dec 6th, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

Lincoln
's rumored MKC compact crossover will reportedly make its world debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The MKC, which will debut as a concept, is expected to be just the first of many new products aimed at reviving Ford's once thriving luxury brand.

The MKC will be the first Lincoln vehicle to be designed completely under the leadership of Max Wolff. Lincoln lured Wolff from Cadillac's design studio in January 2011.

The MKC will be based on Ford's redesigned Escape crossover. Little is known about the project at this time, but the compact CUV will likely borrow most of its styling cues from the Lincoln MKZ sedan.

Powertrians also remain a mystery. The Escape comes standard with a naturally aspirated 2.5L four-cylinder, but the Lincoln version of the crossover could offer the Escape's optional 1.6L EcoBoost or 2.0L EcoBoost motor as standard kit as a way to differentiate it from its Ford brethren.

The MKC will hit dealer lots in early 2014, according to Reuters.

Lincoln's compact crossover will just be one of several new models for Ford's luxury brand. A new version of the MKX crossover will land in late 2014, followed by an all-new version of the automaker's flagship MKS in early 2015. A compact luxury sedan based on the Focus and a rear-wheel drive performance car based on the Mustang are being considered for 2016.

Through the first 11 months of the year Lincoln's sales have decreased 3 percent to 75,000 units.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lincoln-...n-detroit.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
FIN Moderator

Re: Lincoln to display compact crossover concept in Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Lane News View Post
The MKC will be the first Lincoln vehicle to be designed completely under the leadership of Max Wolff. Lincoln lured Wolff from Cadillac's design studio in January 2011.

The MKC will be based on Ford's redesigned Escape crossover. Little is known about the project at this time, but the compact CUV will likely borrow most of its styling cues from the Lincoln MKZ sedan.
So, it will be completely designed under Max Wolff, but it will mostly carry MKZ styling cues. That doesn't make any sense.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ Agree that doesn't make sense, N.R.
I'm posting a corrected version on GMI
(figure here we've mostly done that already )
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM
News Guru

I don´t understand, Max Wolff didn´t design the mkz?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Ford Focus

Apparently the MKZ design was locked in until Max Wolfe came along and he didn't have enough time to do everything he wanted to.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
Apparently the MKZ design was locked in until Max Wolfe came along and he didn't have enough time to do everything he wanted to.
The only thing he did iirc was the grille really

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Ford Focus

Early 2014 for a release date?!? That's way too long of a wait if that's true, they'd be much better off showing the real thing at LA next year or even Detroit the year after. I seriously hope that's not right and don't see how it could be with camo'ed versions already running around.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Early 2014 for a release date?!? That's way too long of a wait if that's true, they'd be much better off showing the real thing at LA next year or even Detroit the year after. I seriously hope that's not right and don't see how it could be with camo'ed versions already running around.
well that's the consensus, T.SHO, tho I agree on one hand - on the other
- I wanna see it
- think they'll NEED another 12 months tweaking
- imho:
FLincMoCo oughta continue the "confuse-the-fan" routine they've been practicing lately
&
do a cheap fiberglass rebody of a Mustang as a 2-seater just to freak everybody out
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
well that's the consensus, T.SHO, tho I agree on one hand - on the other
- I wanna see it
- think they'll NEED another 12 months tweaking
- imho:
FLincMoCo oughta continue the "confuse-the-fan" routine they've been practicing lately
&
do a cheap fiberglass rebody of a Mustang as a 2-seater just to freak everybody out
Yea I want to see it too lol, but I'm not to sure it's a good thing showing it that early. If they're going to take that much time to tweak things, I'm going to have very high expectations for this, and maybe it will be great, but I can already hear people crying how it's based off of the Escape and such.

Also, not to get too off topic, but I've been reading some recent and past threads around here. A number of your posts mention how you think Mercury will come back. Is that just wishful thinking, or do you really think they will (and why)?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:59 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Yea I want to see it too lol, but I'm not to sure it's a good thing showing it that early. If they're going to take that much time to tweak things, I'm going to have very high expectations for this, and maybe it will be great, but I can already hear people crying how it's based off of the Escape and such...
well
it's an AWFUL lot like what was done with the Z (except for the tweaking part)
and some reviews definitely are antagonizing some of us with Fusion-comparo-comments

Quote:
...Also, not to get too off topic, but I've been reading some recent and past threads around here. A number of your posts mention how you think Mercury will come back. Is that just wishful thinking, or do you really think they will (and why)?
I can't really predict the future actions of any company insane enough to (even temporarily) close down the World's Most Perfect Brand
(like the new version of my sig?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
compact, concept, crossover, detroit, display, lincoln

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page