Chrysler aimed 200 at Fusion - DetNews - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Ford Mondeo

Re: Chrysler aimed 200 at Fusion - DetNews

I kind of got the impression, from MT's article, that the car was just "meh". MT said, like the Dart, that the 200 still has some driving feel problems.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Ford Focus

Looks like they took a lot of the MKZ's cues too. I don't see it out selling the Fusion, because it's still a Chrysler......

2013 F650 XLT SC Rollback, 2013 F150 STX RCSB 5.0, 2013 Escape Titanium (wifes) & 73 Cutlass 455 4 Speed.
My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LSchicago2

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

a kinder gentler review...
2015 Chrysler 200; The Sedan It Finally Needs To Be - Autoblog
By Jonathon Ramsey
Posted Mar 20th 2014

...To help make its case, Chrysler brought four competitors to the event: a Ford Fusion Titanium AWD with a price of $38,470; a Honda Accord EX-L V6 costing $32,910; a 2014.5 Toyota Camry SE costing $25,215; and a Nissan Altima 2.5 SV for $25,500. I drove them all, and this is how I determined that they are the Chrysler's peers, not its betters. From worst to first, the Camry was regrettable – the first note I wrote after my drive loop was "Ugh." With feather-light controls, the Toyota struggled to get out of its own way under power, and it offered the worst wind and tire noise of the bunch. Even as basic as the Altima was, the Nissan's deep blacks and shiny chrome came across as a positive compared to the blandness of the Camry.

Being able to drive the competitors back-to-back proved that the 2015 Chrysler 200 very much belongs in the ring.

The Altima suffers from rubbery controls and some terrible plastics, but the cabin stays behaved when on the go. Still, for my (imaginary) money, neither it nor the Camry can touch the 200. Even in its most basic black, cloth-filled LX state, you still get the most important features of the highest-trim 200 - the stiffer platform and suspension tuning, the nine-speed transmission, the cabin roominess, the thick steering wheel, better materials and storage space, and an interior that is simply in another dimension compared to the Toyota and the Nissan. The LX is not a luxury car, but it doesn't force you to make all of the compromises the others do when you're on a very strict budget. Step up to the Limited and it's game over.

For me, the Fusion came second, its anemically thin and rock-hard steering wheel immediately forgiven by the solidness of its ride - it felt like a vault. But its MyFord Touch infotainment screen washed out completely in direct sunlight, and the flat bank of controls beneath it needed to be deciphered before use. Yes, it's handsome and roomy and rides well, but it didn't feel like Ford was trying as hard on the inside.

The Honda was the revelation. Even with its monochrome dash cluster and a lower screen that washes out completely in direct sunlight, it offered the best, gimmick-free interior among 200 competitors, the smoothest ride, the softest leather on its thick steering wheel, the best exhaust note and the best transmission responsiveness; you barely needed Sport mode because the Accord was always on alert for kickdown, even in Drive. Among the five midsize cars at the event, to my eyes, the Honda was the standard, but being able to drive all of them back-to-back proved that the 2015 Chrysler 200 very much belongs in the ring...

More...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
and a video I haven't seen yet...
[video=youtube;w-NRd3cOCmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NRd3cOCmM[/video]
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Ford Focus

Car and Driver just posted their First Drive review.

Car and Driver

"There are a lot of “mosts” in the mid-size sedan segment: most fun, most spacious, most stylish, most likely to be painted Champagne Mica and driven through parking lots at 4 mph. The new 200 is none of the mosts we care most about, but neither is it the least of anything. In a high-volume class that prioritizes practicality, somewhere in the middle is not a bad place to be."
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

AutolineDetroit: AAH #234
includes:
- First impressions after seat time in the 2015 Chrysler 200

[video=youtube;kP8TuF_pT9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP8TuF_pT9g[/video]

happily, the 200 review is at the start of the hour & 20 mins
AND
they said they'd have the car & Ralph Gilles (sp?) in the studio next week
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Ford Focus

Re: Chrysler did aim the 200 at Fusion - MotorTrend too

Car and drivers recent drivers impression on the 200 has come across less than I would have expected. I don't believe the fusion has anything to worry about.

Less than the sum of its parts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 C6 Z51 M6 with NPP
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Not a review - which is coming after, "I get enough seat time to know what it’s like to live with the latest from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles..."

a glimpse into the Fiat Chrysler operation
- Detroit Free Press

Mark Phelan
March 23, 2014

...the 200 is the third Chrysler Group vehicle to use an architecture based on the one Fiat developed for the sporty little Alfa Romeo Giulietta hatchback. The first two were the Dodge Dart compact sedan and Jeep Cherokee SUV.

That’s a pretty broad range of vehicles from a single architecture — or platform, the auto industry’s other term for a set of underbody components that can be used to make a variety of vehicles. The four Fiat Chrysler vehicles’ wheelbases run from 103.7 inches (Giulietta) to 108 (the 200). Their lengths stretch from the Giulietta’s 171.3 in. to the 200 at 192.3. That’s on a par with the flexibility Honda achieves with its Civic compact sedan, CR-V SUV, Accord midsize sedan and Pilot large crossover.

Chrysler can stretch the architecture even farther, 200 chief engineer Doug Verley told me... ...He won’t say what the limits are, but it can be used for vehicles at least a little bigger or smaller than the current range.

The floorpan and structural elements of the front third of the platform are nearly identical for the Dart, Cherokee and 200. The lengths of center and rear sections vary depending as needed from one vehicle to another. The width of the vehicles’ floorpans can also vary slightly — the 200 is an inch wider than the Dart, for instance. All three vehicles were developed for maximum commonality...

More + a gallery I haven't seen yet
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Ford Focus

Not an exciting drive with the Chrysler 200.

I'd pass

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 C6 Z51 M6 with NPP
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

hope this unseen-by-me-yet video is the right one...
...via 'Crash' @ CarSpyShots, "...The Fast Lane review is pretty positive (and they tend to be fairly spot on / fair)..."

[video=youtube;w-NRd3cOCmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NRd3cOCmM[/video]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
200, aimed, chrysler, detnews, fusion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page