FCA product strategy... - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Ford Mondeo

Re: FCA product strategy briefing Tuesday - Free Press

I think it's really odd that Sergio is positioning Chrysler as the volume brand (like Ford or Chevrolet). Chrysler was luxury/premium for most of its history, it was only after Plymouth's demise that they really started to go downmarket. I still think of Chrysler as the premium brand, and I'm sure most Americans do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I think it's really odd that Sergio is positioning Chrysler as the volume brand (like Ford or Chevrolet). Chrysler was luxury/premium for most of its history, it was only after Plymouth's demise that they really started to go downmarket. I still think of Chrysler as the premium brand, and I'm sure most Americans do.
I agree, but you have to look at the situation. There's no room for a third luxury brand at FCA. FCA would have to kill Alfa in order to use Chrysler as FCA's luxury brand, but Alfa Romeo is Italian and most people around the world associate Italy with luxury. Plus, Chrysler hasn't been a luxury brand for a long time. It's been more of a Hyundai/Oldsmobile kind of brand. I think resurrecting the Imperial brand makes more sense than trying to turn Chrysler into a luxury brand.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
I agree, but you have to look at the situation. There's no room for a third luxury brand at FCA. FCA would have to kill Alfa in order to use Chrysler as FCA's luxury brand, but Alfa Romeo is Italian and most people around the world associate Italy with luxury. Plus, Chrysler hasn't been a luxury brand for a long time. It's been more of a Hyundai/Oldsmobile kind of brand. I think resurrecting the Imperial brand makes more sense than trying to turn Chrysler into a luxury brand.
Can Alfa be a "proper" luxury brand though? To be a luxury brand in the US, you need something mid-size and full-size. Alfa may not make vehicles that large.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Can Alfa be a "proper" luxury brand though? To be a luxury brand in the US, you need something mid-size and full-size. Alfa may not make vehicles that large.
Those Maserati chassis will probably come in handy.

I think the major problem with Alfa is its design language. It's not very elegant compared to other brands, and I think that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Alfa is pretty humble just like Audi and BMW were, and I think it's possible to turn them into a desirable luxury brand. It may take 30+ years, but it's doable.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
Those Maserati chassis will probably come in handy.

I think the major problem with Alfa is its design language. It's not very elegant compared to other brands, and I think that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Alfa is pretty humble just like Audi and BMW were, and I think it's possible to turn them into a desirable luxury brand. It may take 30+ years, but it's doable.
Alfa needs to have a decent dealership network too. That worries me a little.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
imho1 Alfa is known for smallish"premium"sporty cars - at least to me, Benjamin, & Mrs. Robinson
but that's THEIR problem

otoh
imho2 Chrysler was LARGE(traditionally & LHS) & euro-size(LeBaron/TC(Maserati) & 300M) & plushMiniVans
&of course, whatever the LX-300 is (think the traditional stuff makes people think they're bigger than they are)
so
Buick's new "ThatAin'taBuick" commercials could well apply to the 200's
*&*
since that size criteria/mismatch could apply to Lincoln TOO;
THAT's 'our' problem (to a degree)...

...and I don't see Chrysler/FCA/Sergio even trying to come up with solutions as inventive as Mission:Lincoln's
ex:
*IF* Chrysler tried a LincStang (considering the gargantuan Challenger & nowhere-near-Lux Viper)...
...well, that explains how they wouldn't know where to start
...or, I guess, even HAVE a starting point
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:42 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Alfa needs to have a decent dealership network too. That worries me a little.
I dunno. There's a lot of work to be done, and there's 7 brands they have to shape and maintain.

Time will tell.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: FCA product strategy briefing Tuesday - Free Press too

Fiat Chrysler's big 5-year plan debut today:
Are more brands better?
- Detroit Free Press

May 6, 2014
By Brent Snavely

...As the automaker’s leaders outline their next five-year plan today in Auburn Hills, they may spark as many questions as they answer. Will consumers, who are already migrating to pickups, midsize and small crossover utility vehicles, embrace cars from Alfa Romeo, a brand that evacuated the U.S. before the dotcom bubble inflated ?...

...“I would like to really know how they are going to manage a stable of six or seven key brands with none of them as a full-line brand, or carrying a full offering,” said Stephanie Brinley, automotive analyst for IHS Automotive. “It makes for a very chaotic and noncohesive range for consumers.”...

...“They have done exactly the opposite of what Ford and General Motors have done,” said Michelle Krebs, an independent auto analyst. “Is that the right direction to go?..."

...Reid Bigland, who doubles as CEO of Ram trucks and Chrysler’s head of U.S. sales...
...“We believe at Fiat Chrysler that a single brand cannot be all things to all people,” Bigland said. “It’s pretty clear that Ferrari is Ferrari — and Ferrari is not going to get into the minivan business.”...

More...
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Ford Kuga

With the 200 being exclusive to Chrysler, and with them having the sole minivan, Dodge could easily be folded into the Chrysler brand. The Dart looks similar enough to the 200 , that just a badge change would do. The Challenger could keep the name, or use Barracuda from Plymouth. Jeep is expanding, and could easily offer AWD cars to fill any sales gaps without stepping on Chrysler's toes. The Durango could be restyled into a Chief Cherokee.

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

I hope that Sergio isnt as conffused as i am with FCA ( Fiat Chrysler Automobiles). Too many brands, before and more after the merge ( or Chrysler acquisition??). Before the merge: Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Ferrari, Maserati in Europe. Chrysler, Dodge,Jeep in USA, total:8. After the merge: Fiat, Alfa Romeo,Ferrari, Maserati, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, SRT, Jeep. Total: 9

Chrysler Division in USA was, in the past, the Lincoln or Cadillac for de Dodge customers... today, is not a luxury or near luxury brand. Is the equivalent of Ford or Buick. Alfa Romeo a BMW competition? really??? I dont think so. Why not to try to recover Chrysler Division as a luxury or near luxury division for USA and Italy?. Maserati is already figthing in the luxury arena...with the entries from upper BMW, Mercedes-Benzes to lessers Bentleys.

Maybe the role for Alfa is the premium entusiast sport cars market... not BMW, maybe Mini, Lotus.

In the USA side, Ram must return to Dodge, SRT must be a trim for sport Dodges, Jeeps and Chryslers, as in the past.

The ideal FCA line up for me is:

Basic brands: Fiat, Dodge (including trucks)
Near luxury brand: Chrysler
SUV-Crossovers expert: Jeep
Sport premium brand: Alfa Romeo
Luxury brand: Maserati
Exotic cars brand: Ferrari

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
briefing, fca, free, press, product, strategy, tuesday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page