4Likes
  • 1 Post By SP1966
  • 1 Post By SP1966
  • 2 Post By SP1966

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Vacation rental review: Jeep Compass

I'll keep this short, once again we rented a small crossover and once again it exceeds my expectations even though it has a subpar reputation. Considering the cost of a Compass I feel it's a really nice little family hauler. My only complaints are the shifter can too easily be bumped into manual mode and the engine is a little on the gutless side. But given the Compass is pretty far down on the ladder in terms of pricing I don't find anything particularly offensive about it.

When a Fiat in Jeep clothing is remarkably competent it just goes to show there really aren't any truly bad vehicles anymore! These truly are the good old days of automotive history!
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:11 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Vacation rental review: Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
I'll keep this short, once again we rented a small crossover and once again it exceeds my expectations even though it has a subpar reputation. Considering the cost of a Compass I feel it's a really nice little family hauler. My only complaints are the shifter can too easily be bumped into manual mode and the engine is a little on the gutless side. But given the Compass is pretty far down on the ladder in terms of pricing I don't find anything particularly offensive about it.

When a Fiat in Jeep clothing is remarkably competent it just goes to show there really aren't any truly bad vehicles anymore! These truly are the good old days of automotive history!
Couldn't you have planned your trip around a better FCA product?

What did you think of power and interior materials?

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:13 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

it wasn't the brandNew one was it, SP?

EXCLUSIVE Navigator info/pix via Spudz64
interiors & interiors & wheels & paint swatches &
more...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post

it wasn't the brandNew one was it, SP?
Nope, last year's model. But for comparison's sake, last time we rented a Chevy Captiva which apparently is said to be the worst car since the Yugo. In that case and with the Compass we found a fully competent, comfortable, roomy, and economical vehicles. Both are entry level vehicles that are largely viewed poorly by the automotive press, and I'm sure relative to their direct competition that's true. But taken on their own, if this is as bad as it gets, it's good to be bad!
2b2 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Couldn't you have planned your trip around a better FCA product?

What did you think of power and interior materials?
They had available two Compasses, one Kia whatever it's called, a couple Jeep Renegades, and a Fiat 500X. Our daughter wanted a Jeep and the Compass was the roomier of the two so that's why we ended up with it. Had I chosen I'd have picked the Kia as it was a bit larger.

Regarding power, it's weak, but really this is an economy car so it's hardly surprising. The engine is smooth running so at cruising speed it's great, acceleration is acceptable, but passing is a non-starter. We cruised across Alligator Alley at 80MPH with no problems. Again, for the purpose this vehicle is meant for I think the engine is fine. My only complaint about the drivetrain is the shifter when in drive, if you bump it ever so slightly left or right goes into manual mode and given it's location relative to the cupholders it happens often. I also tend to rest my hand on the lever so and even then just the slightest movement left or right and you're in manual mode, very frustrating.

Interior quality is again, unsurprising. Hard plastics everywhere. The seats are comfortable, it has power windows and locks (doesn't everything now?) and room for five passengers and three large suitcases. Given this is a base Compass I cannot imagine anybody would expect more.

I guess my point in posting this isn't to rave about the Compass, but just to share my shock at just how good even the worst vehicles available actually are!
2b2 and germeezy1 like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:58 PM
Ford Mondeo

The Compass has undergone constant Kaizen like improvement. The earlier cars were absolutely atrocious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page