Ford Reports a 22 Percent Sales Jump in January 2013 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Ford Reports a 22 Percent Sales Jump in January 2013

But Lincoln Hit Hard on Lack of Inventory
FordInsideNews.com
February 1, 2013

Ford has started 2013 off with a bang. US sales in January reported a 22 percent increase in deliveries as EVERY non-discontinued Ford brand vehicle saw a rise in sales over the previous year. However, Lincoln inventories hurt MkZ sales lowering the brand's sales.

The sales increase was lead by the Fusion, which saw the largest percentage increase of any vehicle and was a January record. F-Series saw the largest by-volume increase with a 22 percent increase. The Ford Escape also saw a record month.

The Ford Explorer saw its best sales in 8 years, while the Transit Connect had sales rose 47 percent.

Bad news came from Lincoln where MkZ saw a dramatic decrease in sales, most likely a result of inventory levels.

Tables

Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Ford Focus

Re: Ford Reports a 22 Percent Sales Jump in January 2013

The lack of inventory is quite true. I just did a search at our local Ford/Lincoln dealer and they have 0 2013 MKZs and 5 2012 models they are still trying to get rid of.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Ford's performance is exactly what a healthy company's results should look like - existing nameplate increases - new models gaining traction - and - despite losing 5k in units from the Ranger, the F-Series picked up the slack.

It will be interesting to see what Government Motors will report. I'm not expecting many smiles at Obama's bailout child.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

4000 cars!?!? Holy...!

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Ford Focus

It's not as bad as it seems for Lincoln. No inventory for the 2013 MKZ brings the brand down as a whole, but all other models were up for the month.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

MK Z inventory problems? Really????? What is the date of job 1 for MK Z??? I believe the production began in november!!!!! Why only 471 MK Z sold???? I`m worried. If the next month Lincoln dont sell 3000 MKZ, Lincoln is dead. There will be no 2014 Lincoln models....

And the Fusion.... 23000 sold.... not bad, but could be better... Is the Hermosillo plant working at full capacity? There are another plant in USA producing the Fusion and the MK Z? Maybe is a problem of production capacity . I hope that, with the correct production capacity, the Fusion can sell 30000 units monthly, and the MK Z 3000 units....

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Ford Focus

Farley mentioned they had a record number of pre-orders for the 2013 MKZ back at the NAIAS. Production actually started in late November/early December.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
MK Z inventory problems? Really????? What is the date of job 1 for MK Z??? I believe the production began in november!!!!! Why only 471 MK Z sold???? I`m worried. If the next month Lincoln dont sell 3000 MKZ, Lincoln is dead. There will be no 2014 Lincoln models....

And the Fusion.... 23000 sold.... not bad, but could be better... Is the Hermosillo plant working at full capacity? There are another plant in USA producing the Fusion and the MK Z? Maybe is a problem of production capacity . I hope that, with the correct production capacity, the Fusion can sell 30000 units monthly, and the MK Z 3000 units....
Production just was not able to ramp up in time enough for January. Flat Rock starts Fusion production in Sept, which will open up production for the MkZ more.

Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
...If the next month Lincoln dont sell 3000 MKZ, Lincoln is dead. There will be no 2014 Lincoln models....
not quite that fast for either reliable data nor decision imho, FalconLover:
pre-orders not yet filled will inflate Feb sales tho slowly building inventories will keep off-the-lot sales down ... give it until summer to even out
but
not to open old wounds, the MKC really ought to give them their 18%+ annual sales increase which will make it harder to kill Lincoln (like the Tracer woulda made Mercury) so the next decision point imho is the launching of the MKC;
If all goes according to plan (production shown in NYC, Job1 not delayed) then I can believe FLincMoCo's commitment...until the next decision point...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Ford Sport Ka

It's good to see Ford doing so well. But I have to wonder how much of those increased sales for the Taurus, Explorer, Focus and Escape are fleet/rental sales.

2001 MERCURY SABLE LS PREMIUM 133K
2007 MERCURY MILAN BASE 65K
2011 BUICK LACROSSE CXL 17K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2013, ford, january, jump, percent, reports, sales

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page