Detroit News: UAW kicks off labor talks with Ford, General Motors - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT
Detroit News: UAW kicks off labor talks with Ford, General Motors

UAW kicks off labor talks with Ford, General Motors

Fomoconews.com DEARBORN, MI., July 23, 2007 -- Ron Gettelfinger (left), UAW President and Alan Mulally, President and CEO, Ford Motor Company at the opening of 2007 UAW-Ford Collective Bargaining talks at Ford's World Headquarters. Photo by: Sam VarnHagen/Ford Motor Co. (07/23/2007)

The traditional handshake ceremonies that open talks between the United Auto Workers and the car companies are complete with this afternoon's meeting between Ford Motor Co. CEO Alan Mulally and UAW President Ron Gettelfinger.
Ford Motor Chairman Bill Ford Jr. also took part in the ceremonial handshake at Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn.
"I look better than Rick, huh," joked Mulally, referring to General Motors Corp. Chairman Rick Wagoner, who earlier in the day joined a similar ritual at GM Headquarters.
Gettelfinger quipped: "I can feel the blood rushing out of my hand,"
"If you pull hard I'll be on that side (of the table)," laughed Bill Ford.
The ceremonial greetings precede talks that some analysts believe are the most critical ever to the union and the domestic automakers, who are desperate to slash costs to compete with foreign rivals. The national contracts between the UAW and the Detroit Three automakers expire Sept. 14.
Shortly after 9 a.m. Gettelfinger smiled and shook hands with Wagoner, while GM chief negotiator Diana Tremblay shook hands with UAW Vice President Cal Rapson. All four had to lean across a table to complete the handshake for photographers.
Gettelfinger and Wagoner wore suits and ties, by contrast to last week's Chrysler ceremony when the automaker's CEO Tom LaSorda and Gettelfinger sported polo shirts.
In an interview after the GM formalities, Gettelfinger said the union is not in a concessionary mode, and he also said a strike still is possible despite the precarious financial positions of the Detroit Three.

for more CLICK HERE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Detroit News: UAW kicks off labor talks with Ford, General Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by detnews ( since I don't wanna put words in Sobe's mouth)
"If you pull hard I'll be on that side (of the table)," laughed Bill Ford.

somehow, I'm pretty sure Uncle Bill wasn't really joking
ie. if he was able to, he'd rather negotiate on behalf of the union
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Ford Falcon

What I do not get is the smile in an artmosphere that is and has always been adversarial

Got Exclusive News or Exclusive car pictures? email me or post them here with Title "Fomoconews Exclusive: .....
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Ford Explorer

^ That's their poker face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
detroit, ford, general, kicks, labor, motors, news, talks, uaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page