Ford Inside News banner

1958 Edsel brochure

8K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  mercury_1988 
#1 ·
these are scans of an original Edsel brochure i have-the first year of Edsel production, and the most distinctive in design, imo. if i remember correctly, i bought 2 of these pamphlets at a Hemmings car show/flea market about 20 years ago. i sent one to a friend of mine in the UK that is a freelance writer for several vintage car magazines over there, and kept one. it's a 4 page large format and took 8 scans to piece together, which is why it's a bit disjointed in places. enjoy.

cover

inside left page

inside right page

back cover

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for sharing. The Edsel certainly is a great chapter in the American automotive history as well as a painful reminder to what happens when: (a) Ford tries to be as big as GM and (b) What happens when you launch a whole new car division in the middle of a recession.

#5 ·
ditto the THANKS, artandcolour

&
in addition to the bad timing Economy-wise,
imho it may have been a very different story a bit later, say 1964-6,
styling/packaging-wise...

The Industry HAD gone thru a couple sea-changes already, breaking out of the pre-war forms into what I think of as the (Hudson)'bathtub' styling...
and then over-blown&finned 'land-yatchs'...

Can't help but wonder what Edsels could have been Post- the Renaissance of Continental-Tbird-Mustang(and want to add --RIVIERA),
that in my mind, created the modern car Form < which has not yet been supplanted ...only refined in the following 40+ years (imho)!!
instead of
intro'ing at one of the most far-out swings of the styling pendulum :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.