Ford Inside News banner

Ford Announces $4.5 Billion Investment in “Electrified” Vehicles by 2020

69K views 345 replies 27 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ford Investing $4.5 Billion in Electrified Vehicle Solutions

Reimagining How to Create Future Vehicle User Experiences

Ford

- Ford is investing an additional $4.5 billion in electrified vehicle solutions by 2020, including the new Focus Electric with all-new DC fast-charge capability, which delivers 80 percent charge in an estimated 30 minutes and projected 100-mile range

- The company is adding 13 new electrified vehicles to its product portfolio by 2020; more than 40 percent of Ford’s nameplates globally will be electrified by the decade’s end

- Ford also redefining how future vehicles are created, moving from a features-based product development to a customer-experience-led process, applying insights from social scientists

DEARBORN, Mich., – Ford is investing an additional $4.5 billion in electrified vehicle solutions by 2020 as well as changing how the company develops vehicle experiences for customers – all to make people’s lives better by changing the way the world moves.

Ford is adding 13 new electrified vehicles to its portfolio by 2020, when more than 40 percent of the company’s global nameplates will come in electrified versions. This represents Ford’s largest-ever electrified vehicle investment in a five-year period.

On the way next year is a new Focus Electric, which features all-new DC fast-charge capability delivering an 80 percent charge in an estimated 30 minutes and projected 100-mile range – an estimated two hours faster than today’s Focus Electric.

The new Focus Electric, which starts production late next year, also will provide North American and European customers:

 SmartGauge with EcoGuide LCD Instrument Cluster, which offers a multitude of customizable displays that can help the driver see real-time EV power usage to help maximize vehicle efficiency

 Brake Coach, another smart feature that coaches the driver on how to use smooth braking to maximize the energy captured through the Regenerative Braking System. The more energy a driver captures through braking, the more energy is returned to the vehicle’s battery

 Fun-to-drive character, with agile steering and handling engineered into the vehicle to give drivers a more connected feel to the road

Ford’s shift to add electrified vehicle solutions answers increasing global trends calling for cleaner, more efficient vehicles.

Experience-Led Design
Ford also is reimagining how to set itself apart in the marketplace by focusing on the customer experience and not just the vehicle itself. The company is changing its product development process to support the shift.

For news releases, related materials and high-resolution photos and video, visit www.media.ford.com.

“The challenge going forward isn’t who provides the most technology in a vehicle but who best organizes that technology in a way that most excites and delights people,” said Raj Nair, executive vice president, Product Development. “By observing consumers, we can better understand which features and strengths users truly use and value and create even better experiences for them going forward.”

In addition to traditional market research, Ford is investing in social science-based research globally, observing how consumers interact with vehicles and gaining new insights into the cognitive, social, cultural, technological and economic nuances that affect product design.

“This new way of working brings together marketing, research, engineering and design in a new way to create meaningful user experiences, rather than individually developing technologies and features that need to be integrated into a final product,” Nair said. “We are using new insights from anthropologists, sociologists, economists, journalists and designers, along with traditional business techniques, to reimagine our product development process, create new experiences and make life better for millions of people.”

Next year, Ford is doubling the number of projects that use ethnographic research versus this year.

The team of social scientists already has spent months exploring topics such as the future of luxury transport, how people form relationships with their cars and the role of trucks in the American heartland.

ReD, a social science-based strategy consultancy, has been innovating with consumer goods and pharmaceutical companies for a decade. ReD started working with Ford – its sole automotive client – in 2012.

During the past three years, the team has invested more than 4,000 hours with thousands of vehicle users in more than 25 cities worldwide, taking 80,000 photos, nearly 3,000 hours of video and more than 8,000 pages of field notes, feeding countless insights to improve the product creation process.

“For 70 years, market research has been done by asking people for their opinion.

But Ford has always been fundamentally skeptical about that. Henry Ford used to say, ‘If I asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for a faster horse,’” said Christian Madsbjerg, founder of ReD Associates and author of The Moment of Clarity. “I chose to work with Ford because this approach is in their DNA and is setting the company at the forefront of this advanced and bold process, which is redefining market research and silo-busting the way the company operates.”

Another new twist to the product development process is that designers no longer just sketch products but also full customer experience illustrations that visualize the experience each product is meant to deliver. The series of vignettes define a unique user journey that seamlessly integrates both hardware and software experiences.

This user experience design technique also plays an important role in developing the Ford Smart Mobility plan, which is designed to take the company to the next level in connectivity, mobility, autonomous vehicles, the customer experience and data and analytics.

For news releases, related materials and high-resolution photos and video, visit www.media.ford.com.

“As both an auto and a mobility company, we at Ford are going further than just designing the product to move people from point A to point B,” Nair said. “We are considering the way customers interact with our vehicles as a unified experience, looking for ways to excite and delight customers and make their lives better.”

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
TY for finding & posting that, Gjrip! :thumb:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-announces-4-5-billion-investment-in-electrified-vehicles-by-2020/
...$4.5 billion into “electrified” vehicles....
...13 new vehicles over the next five years...
cy2016/asap_______
Fusion hybrid
Fusion Energi plug-in
MKZ hybrid
MKZEnergi plug-in
the C-Max
the other C-Max
CONTINENTAL plug-in(s)
?CONTINENTAL maybe hybrid?

nextgen__________
MKZ-BEV
the Focus BEV
Focus-Hybrid (or A.M.P equivalent)
Escape (or A.M.P equivalent)
MKC (or A.M.P equivalent)
Fiesta (or A.M.P equivalent)

that's 13 and a half

( o'course, I'd replace the ****** (helical fasteners) with LincStangS! )

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
'nother...

Ford to invest $4.5B in electric car research
Detroit News

Michael Martinez - December 10, 2015

...The Dearborn automaker said Thursday it will invest $4.5 billion in electric vehicle research and add 13 new EVs by 2020 in an effort to give customers greater choice and to conform to strict federal fuel-efficiency standards. It’s Ford’s biggest investment over a five-year period in the technology to date.

Ford’s current portfolio includes six hybrid or all-electric vehicles across its Ford and Lincoln brands. By 2020, Ford said 40 percent of its nameplates globally will be electrified, up from about 13 percent today. Ford declined to say if any of the 13 new EVs would be autonomous...

...In 2012, Ford moved to lithium-ion batteries from nickel-hydride.

“Batteries are the life force of any EV, and we have been committed to growing our leadership in battery research and development for more than 15 years,” said Kevin Layden, director of Ford’s electrification programs. “Battery technology has evolved rapidly since we launched our first volume electrified product ... and we look forward to developing even better vehicle battery technology for our customers.”

The company recently expanded its EV offerings to Taiwan and Korea, where Ford offers the Mondeo hybrid. Ford also announced it is bringing the C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid and the Mondeo hybrid to China.

The automaker hinted that it will reveal an electric vehicle at the 2016 North American International Auto Show. A vehicle that resembles its Fusion Energi was covered in a black tarp.

BTW that^ and a p!ss-poor farticle @ some blog about autos
Confirms the MCE'd Fusion for NAIAS

cy2016/asap_______
Fusion hybrid
Fusion Energi plug-in
MKZ hybrid
MKZEnergi plug-in
the C-Max
the other C-Max
CONTINENTAL plug-in(s)
?CONTINENTAL maybe hybrid?

nextgen__________
MKZ-BEV
the Focus BEV
Focus-Hybrid (or A.M.P equivalent)
Escape (or A.M.P equivalent)
MKC (or A.M.P equivalent)
Fiesta (or A.M.P equivalent)

that's 13 and a half

( o'course, I'd replace the ****** (helical fasteners) with LincStangS! )
was gonna make a 2nd List in non-Fordish, where the variants would NOT count as separate items ... but considering Ford(Brand) shows AutoshowDisplays of 5 (FIVE) currently = not much point
maybe after dinner - as desssert :angel

#4 ·
I think Lincoln's 2nd new nameplate at the end of the decade will be related to the dedicated Ford Hybrid.

There is the long rumored F-150 hybrid.

Fusion will need to make some significant advances to be competitive, although those advances were not announced alongside the MKZ Hybrid which is curious. You have to be a little insane to buy the Fusion Energie with the Volt around for the same money with many more times the range.

#5 ·
...There is the long rumored F-150 hybrid...
I only remember a HYDRAULIC Hybrid being rumored for the F-Series...
...just sayin' :angel

...Fusion will need to make some significant advances to be competitive...
...You have to be a little insane to buy the Fusion Energie with the Volt around for the same money with many more times the range.
imho SOooooooooo much depends on the individuals' uses/wants.
I can imagine people who'd be crazy to get a Volt over a Fusion-Energi
(or even a nonplugged Hybrid for us apt dwellers w/o garages/outlets)

I think Lincoln's 2nd new nameplate at the end of the decade will be related to the dedicated Ford Hybrid...
actually All versions of my LS-née-MKE are variously electrified
so
guess I agree

#8 ·
http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-announces-4-5-billion-investment-in-electrified-vehicles-by-2020/

You know that thing where people “cut the cord” to get away and relax? Ford is doing the opposite between now and 2020, positively wrapping itself in electrical cordage and dumping $4.5 billion into “electrified” vehicles. The automaker promises the money will go toward battery research and 13 new vehicles over the next five years.

Details as to which vehicles will count toward Ford’s 13-car claim are forthcoming, but the automaker’s use of the term “electrified” offers a clue that not all of the cars will be fully electric. Instead, we expect Ford’s next wave of hybrids and plug-in hybrids to make up the lion’s share of the 13 cars, which could include some vehicles not sold in the U.S.

To wit, Ford’s Fusion sedan is ripe for a refresh—and is expected to debut as a 2017 model at the upcoming Detroit auto show—and it has hybrid and “Energi” plug-in variants. That’s two down. Next up, Europe’s updated C-Max could beget refreshed C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi plug-in-hybrid models here, too; scratch two more off Ford’s list. Ford itself has announced an updated Ford Focus EV full electric will bow sometime next year with DC fast-charging capability and a 100-mile driving range. As for the other eight cars, Ford could choose to count the freshly updated 2017 Lincoln MKZ hybrid—and even add a plug-in variant—as well as toss the Fusion hybrid’s powertrain into the Escape to match Toyota’s new RAV4 hybrid crossover. Previously third-party up-fitted electrified commercial vehicles (box trucks, etc.) could be brought in-house, too.

That still leaves room for either a few previously un-hybridized vehicles to join Ford’s electrification party, or perhaps a new full-electric. We do know that Ford is working on a dedicated-hybrid Prius fighter, so knock another car (or two, if a plug-in version is counted separately) off the list. As for the rest, we’ll just have to wait and see.

#9 ·
"On the way next year is a new Focus Electric, which features all-new DC fast-charge capability delivering an 80 percent charge in an estimated 30 minutes and projected 100-mile range – an estimated two hours faster than today’s Focus Electric."

With MY2017 Focus Electric maintaining the current body style, gaining 25 more miles from the battery pack, while needing to reduce it's size and reposition the pack so it's not taking up the cargo space is a big deal. This means all current electrified models are getting an EV range boost as well.

#10 ·

And now it's clear that Ford is willing to invest in 'current' platforms to boost EV range, what's under the black cover could actually be the 2017 MKZ Energi that everyone has been waiting for.

Notice the extra cladding on and around the hood and along the sides of the vehicle. If this was the refreshed Fusion, none of that would be needed, especially along the sides.

Further more, looking closely at the top of the grille....there is no indention where the Ford logo sits for a Fusion. But there is no Ford logo on the top of the grille of the 2017 Lincoln MKZ.

I think Ford is about to steal the show again.

100+ mile EV range Focus Electric with DC fast charging. Price should drop another $2-$5k also.

30+ mile EV range C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Energi models. Lincoln needs a plug-in vehicle now.

This makes sense, as Ford is preparing to export the Focus Electric, C-Max to other countries, and they need to be able to compete on in the global marketplace. Today....they are behind.

#12 · (Edited)
And now it's clear that Ford is willing to invest in 'current' platforms to boost EV range, what's under the black cover could actually be the 2017 MKZ Energi that everyone has been waiting for...
well
- I see a Fusion grille-shape even without my tinfoil-framed xray glasses
- thinking the changes might be getting incorporated now becuz 1. they fit, 2. they $ave money, 3. the old stuff was getting discontinued due to being passé antiques anyway, &
4. hoping A.M.P is a lot closer to production than cD6

...30+ mile EV range C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Energi models. Lincoln needs a plug-in vehicle now...
the C-Maxeseses + :thumb:

...This makes sense, as Ford is preparing to export the Focus Electric, C-Max to other countries, and they need to be able to compete on in the global marketplace. Today....they are behind.
REALLY? they're gonna export that RIDUCLOUS Focus-BEV??

I'd much rather stick a couple (2)((TWO)) Focus-BEV drivetrains into some OTHER car they recently began wide-exportation of
...that could still get similar range cuz the Virtual-AWD goodness of it would only have to be engaged some of the time
for the
Highest Volume Lux Segment

#11 ·
I would like to see the MKC and MKX get some sort of hybrid treatment.

#14 · (Edited)
snipped from Media.Ford.com

EV Nameplates
now I'm wondering if this could be more than what the usual Ford-ism indicate?
(still making dinner)
(burp)

cy2016/asap_______
1 - Fusion hybrid & Energi plug-in
2 - MKZ hybrid & MKZEnergi plug-in & MKZ-BEV
3 -
the C-Max & other C-Max
4 - CONTINENTAL plug-in(s) & ?CONTINENTAL maybe hybrid?

nextgen__________
5 - Focus-Hybrid (or A.M.P equivalent) &
the Focus BEV
6 - Escape (or A.M.P equivalent)
7 - MKC (or A.M.P equivalent)
8 - Fiesta (or A.M.P equivalent)

?no particular order?
9 - Edge
10 - MKX
11 - a 'Transit' (prolley the small one)
12 - ?Aviator?
13 -

I'm not gonna list an F-Series cuz then there'd hafta be a Navi & maybe Expedition = block of 3 Nameplates all tied together afaik

Attachments

#17 ·
Focus and Fusion/MKZ already have the architecture for this, and it is good to start there.
Once Focus moves to Mexico, I expect either a Fiesta or more likely a Fiesta based CUV to be the next plug in.
I'd like to see a Transit Connect plug in, but I don't know if the plant can support the additional drivetrains.

This could also be an opening for a new CUV for Lincoln, based on the MKC platform, but aimed at the LR Evoque...more sport...less utility.

Reactions: 2b2
#19 ·
Plug in stations are being installed in many Ford engineering parking lots (not sure about the manufacturing sites).
BEV still makes no sense to me, unless it is a 2nd or 3rd vehicle you own.
Energi makes a lot of sense however, with no limitations. And the new Energy Fusion might make the most sense of all, when the new specs are revealed. We already know the vehicle to be a great roomy value with excellent driving manners, and combined with a PHEV option, it's hard to beat. I am getting closer and closer to considering a PHEV, perhaps when gas prices climb again. I just pumped gas the other day for $1.63 gal, and that is at my regular station, not shopping around for cheapest. When I drive my Fusion for economy I am getting 25-26mpg. So a $26 fill up can last me nearly 2 weeks. Just not enough incentive yet to spend so much additional money which I would never get back, as I only keep my vehicles 4 years or so.

There will be some upgrades in current electrified vehicles, but the real bump will come when all new engines launch that were designed for hybrid. Far more efficient than just throwing in a new hybrid friendly cam, like they have done until now.

#20 ·
I am very interested in an electrified Lincoln, but only if it's a purpose-built electric vehicle designed for luxury and performance similar to a Tesla, i8, etc. There are huge advantages to electric drivetrains in luxury vehicles and it will be an essential component of luxury lineups going forward.

The electrification of the next-gen Focus platform will obviously have huge benefits for the next Escape/MKC/C-Max..etc.

BTW, Lincoln would NEVER debut a new car through Ford so that is definitely not a MKZ Energie. It's clearly the Fusion, enough said.

#21 ·
FoMoCo is in the process of distancing Lincoln from the Ford brand. There's no way they'd put a Lincoln product under a sheet with a Ford logo on the placard, nor would they post this on Ford social media. Any of that would be devoted to Lincoln's accounts.

#22 · (Edited)
lately I've downgraded Bloomberg's accuracy but...

Ford to Invest $4.5 Billion in Electrified Vehicles by 2020
Bloomberg

Keith Naughton

Automaker plans to add 13 electric, plug-in models in 5 years
Such vehicles to rise to 40% of lineup from 13% now, CEO says

...Fields said plug-in hybrids will be the fastest-growing type of electric vehicles...

...Matt Stover, an analyst at Susquehanna Financial Group...estimated that Ford’s total capital expenditures and research and development costs over the next five years will be about $70 billion...

...Consumers still misunderstand the benefits of electrified autos, especially plug-in hybrids that are powered by both electric batteries and gasoline engines, Nair said.

"We still see feedback that people are concerned about the range of a plug-in hybrid, which really, to be honest, doesn’t make sense," Nair said. "Because in a plug-in hybrid, you’ve got a tremendous** amount of range."

This year, Ford expanded its Electrified Powertrain Engineering program in Dearborn, hiring an additional 120 engineers, according to another statement Thursday. In October, the automaker, the University of Michigan and the Michigan Economic Development Corp. announced a $9 million lab at the school to help develop smaller, lighter and less expensive batteries.

** actually UN-Limited, just like any other vehicle powered (at least partly) by petrol

Attachments

#26 ·
We are talking about for 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. Current gas pricing won't stay as low as it is now. Greed will get to the oil companies soon.

But it is a game being played. Oil companies know that if they jack up the price, consumers buy more plug-in vehicles, and they don't get those consumers back. They go from gas consumers to zero.

So I think the oil industry is trying told back on pricing, so they don't hit a breaking point with consumers again, and spark more EV sales.

Which means the auto industry has to do more price matching like Lincoln does with the MKZ and MKZ Hybrid.

There needs to be entry level plug-in models that are at the price point of the Titanium level ice only model. That way psychologically, the consumer gets the idea that the plug-in costs the same as the ice model to some respect. It becomes the trim level that adds the additional cost, not the electric drivetrain component. Same with hybrid models.

This way the consumer is not paying more 'just' for the electric drivetrain, but paying more for the trim level/amenities etc.

#24 · (Edited)
"Solving a quick math equation reveals the 2017 Focus Electric will boast a total driving range of approximately 125 miles, a nearly 50-mile improvement over the current model.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2017-fo...-new-dc-fast-charger-90452.html#ixzz3u3JeD9r0

Not sure how they calculated that.

"which features all-new DC fast-charge capability delivering an 80 percent charge in an estimated 30 minutes and projected 100-mile range

Which does not mean that there will be 100 miles with an 80 percent charge. Just that the pack has a projected 100 mile range. More like 80 miles in 30 minutes. But I do expect the 2017 Focus Electric to offer at least a EPA 107 total or more EV miles to match or beat the longest range Leaf.

Another question is will Ford actually start to market the Focus Electric after this update?

#28 · (Edited)
"Solving a quick math equation..."
...Not sure how they calculated that.
...does not mean that there will be 100 miles with an 80 percent charge. Just that the pack has a projected 100 mile range. More like 80 miles in 30 minutes. But I do expect the 2017 Focus Electric to offer at least a EPA 107 total or more EV miles to match or beat the longest range Leaf...
Excellent point with the Leaf, Bloggin :thumb:

the rest ... who knows how they "figured" (prolley straight percentage or worse)
afaik,
recharging with electricity is almost like 'pressurizing' the electrons & it gets harder to push them in as the charge approaches 100% (WHICH can be a fiction anyway, with the "top-charge" being less than a theoretical 100%...OR... maybe I'm confusing the "bottom-charge" that they never let get all the way to zero since it would shorten the batteries' lifespan?)

...Another question is will Ford actually start to market the Focus Electric after this update?
I STILL think a pureBEV econocar is ridiculous
at least until 1 kWh is under $100

...Greed will get to the oil companies soon...
...So I think the oil industry is trying to( ho)ld back on pricing, so they don't hit a breaking point with consumers again, and spark more EV sales...
I've heard (don't ask me to explain it) that the Iran nuclear-inspection deal is causing the oil freefall ( + let's not get political! )
JUST if that's part of it,
seems oil prices could be depressed for much of the term = 10 years iirc

...But it is a game being played. Oil companies know that if they jack up the price, consumers buy more plug-in vehicles, and they don't get those consumers back. They go from gas consumers to zero...
game? definitely
but imho if the Oil Thugs (execs) could get agreement amongst their various GANGS, they'd try to keep us used to higher prices - - can't imagine ANYone/ANYmore will believe the LIES they WILL make up when the price hikes finally come back

...There needs to be entry level plug-in models that are at the price point of the Titanium level ice only model. That way psychologically, the consumer gets the idea that the plug-in costs the same as the ice model to some respect. It becomes the trim level that adds the additional cost, not the electric drivetrain component. Same with hybrid models.

This way the consumer is not paying more 'just' for the electric drivetrain, but paying more for the trim level/amenities etc.
Agree with one caveat,
Plug-Ins *need* to be Premium/Lux until $/kWh falls
& corollary,
(ordinary)Hybrids need to be mainstream only

was just reading the newMalibu's hybrid is a $6,000.00 upcharge BUT
-- that's GM

-- I haven't verified trim-levels/gizmos/stuff

Also
just started wondering (for a price reason) if TURBO engines would benefit (lag reduction) from having micro-batteries that could only power for 100 FEET instead of miles = acceleration and (if V-Awd) antislip Only
(o'course the electric motor(s) would still have to be powerful enough to do some/any good...)

edit/forgot
I'm really focusing on the day when Plug-Ins are half-HP electric
THEN
imho, it will be straight forward to swap out the petrol system for more electro's
so a pureBEV would be an easy/obvious/CHEAP inclusion

#30 ·
^....trying to restrict plug-ins to premium brands creates a problem. The biggest is that not only does the consumer have to pay a premium for the plug-in drivetrain, but the also have to pay a luxury brand premium on top of that. The plug-in premium + luxury brand premium together = higher price/lower volume. Lower volume restricts the ability for automakers to pay for more plug-in development.

Offering plug-in premium in consumer brands can 'sometimes' bring the consumer brand 'close to' luxury brand pricing, but still within reach for consumer brand consumers along with entry luxury brand consumers.

Essentially offering the plug-in technology in consumer brands selling in higher volume, helps pay for plug-in technology to be available in lower volume luxury brand models.

Now luxury brands could offer 'more' tech and larger battery packs etc, but to pay for that development, there would need to be a consumer brand offering the base technology in volume.

#31 ·
^....trying to restrict plug-ins to premium brands creates a problem...

o'course MY solution is to offer a "Premiumedium Brand" :clap:

...Now luxury brands could offer 'more' tech and larger battery packs etc, but to pay for that development, there would need to be a consumer brand offering the base technology in volume.
2 OR's
-- a new designed4electro architecture MAY enable the needed flexibility
(should Any Mfg develoP one :angel)
-- wonder if the long-wlb CAFE loophole will make it more likely for mfgs to require new architecture to be flexible that way too?
+ longer wlb might easily accommodate more (modular) batteries
= so longer wlb & more battery for higher tier vehicles

#32 · (Edited)
Automaker plans to add 13 electric, plug-in models in 5 years
Such vehicles to rise to 40% of lineup from 13% now, CEO says

...Fields said plug-in hybrids will be the fastest-growing type of electric vehicles...
One thing, when Ford talks about "models", that includes all trim levels in each vehicle. Go to Ford website
and click on Fusion, then see "models" and click on that, there's two energi models there SE and Titanium
Now, do the same with C-max, there's one model, SEL energi.

So, that's three at the moment and I wouldn't put it past Ford to include Lincoln Trim levels
asn Chinese variation into that 13 models as well. So maybe two versions across six cars and Utilities..

And then there's Ford's electrification work on F150 and maybe Expedition / Navigator.

Great times to see Ford forging out with more PHEVs, the complexion of Ford's vehicles in Nth America
and internationally is going to change massivly in the next five years or so...

#33 ·
It may be more due to this quote from Ford:

"when more than 40 percent of the company’s global nameplates will come in electrified versions. "

Now they are taking about nameplates (Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Edge, etc), so we should see more widespread electrification across the lineup.

But it is amazing how Ford can offer so little actual product information in a press release about spending about 1 billion a year for the next 5 years.

#37 ·
Below are the nameplates I can came up with. 40% would be quite a few models, about 15-18 models globally.

Ka
Figo
Fiesta
Fiesta ST
B-MAX
New Ford EcoSport
New Focus
The New Focus ST
Focus RS
New C-MAX
KUGA
Mondeo
Taurus
Vignale
New Mustang
S-MAX
Galaxy
Edge
Ranger
Tourneo Custom
Tourneo Connect

Fiesta Van
Transit Courier
Transit Connect
Transit Custom
Transit Minibus
Transit Chassis Cab 2015

F-150
F-250
F-350
F-650
F-750
SuperDuty
Raptor
GT

#38 · (Edited)
^ Thanks, Bloggin :thumb:
& Jpd's post elsewhere :thumb:...
Posted Today, 03:41 PM
So how will Ford spend this $4.5 Billion to achieve those 13 models by 2020,
will they be basically three or four vehicles but different models within those vehicles to get numbers up?...
made me wonder if Listing by platform/segment/size would be helpful

... C1 .. car.. Focus Hybrid, BEV
... C1 .. mpv.. C-Maxs(or replacements)
... C1 .. Cuv.. Escape Hybrid; MKC PI
..CD4... car.. Fusion Hybrid, PI; MKZ Hybrid, PI, BEV
..CD4 .. mpv.. ?
..CD4 .. Cuv.. Edge Hybrid; MKX PI
CD4+3. car.. Continental ?
CD4+3. mpv.. ?
CD4+3. Cuv.. Aviator ?
. other... ? ... ?
. other...also wondering about the Ranger & Bronco...

- - - - - - -

via CleanTechnica.com

note: C-Max^ / Fusion^ / Focus^ / camo's^ HLs don't match any imho

#39 · (Edited)

Any idea what this is from the NAIAS Teaser video?

The lower grille does not match anything Ford currently offers and it's not SUV/CUV. And it's smaller than a Fusion.

Could it be Ford's new hybrid vehicle since this teaser is all about electrified vehicles?

The hybrid that is to take on the Prius?

Or the plug-in hybrid that is to take on the 50 EV mile Volt?

Or the 200+ mile EV to take on the Bolt?

What has Ford been up to?

Either way, I think we are looking at a New Ford Vehicle!

Attachments

#40 · (Edited)

We know there will be BIG NEWS about electrified vehicles from Ford at NAIAS 2015.

It looks like it's not just the 'Fusion' Enegi. If we look closely, there is a blue Focus Electric, then a red Focus, and just one C-Max.

What's the Focus doing there with the electrified vehicles?

Could it be that we are getting a Focus Energi along with the new 100+ mile Focus Electric? If we remember, the Focus Energi was rumored last year, with Ford taking to business about it's desirability.

This just might be the time, since EV range is about to get extended with MY2017. Focus Electric gets a 35% range increase. That same 35% increase would offer close to EPA 30 EV miles for a Focus Energi, C-Max Energi and Fusion Energi. But they need 50 to compete with Volt.

C-MAX Hybrid would be replaced by Ford's new dedicated hybrid that could be in the image above.

Attachments

#43 ·
I see that the blue Focus Electric is plugged in, but dont see a plug on the red Focus. So wondering if its a hybrid. Corolla is coming with a hybrid also.

hybrid with new updated hybrid drivetrain/new upgraded battery packs/new Hybrid EcoModes, etc.

A Focus hybrid (sedan) would take the place of the C-Max Hybrid(Ford is only sending the C-Max Energi to China and Europe), offering better aerodynamics and better mpg.

And if that is the case, the new vehicle could be the 200mile EV to compete with the Bolt coming early next year.

Waiting for next teaser......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.