Windshield wiper/headlight suggestion... - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Ford Ka

Windshield wiper/headlight suggestion...

Many states have "lights required when wipers are on" provision. Wouldn't a simple connection between the wiper switch and the headlight switch solve this? Ford has led in many safety inovations. I rember the seatbelts in the fifties.

Just a suggestion.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Windshield wiper/headlight suggestion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Many states have "lights required when wipers are on" provision. Wouldn't a simple connection between the wiper switch and the headlight switch solve this? Ford has led in many safety inovations. I rember the seatbelts in the fifties.

Just a suggestion.......
I think they have this already with the rain sensing wipers. I think my LS has it since I have the rain sensing wipers, and I know for a fact my friends Mercedes Benz has it

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Ford Ka

Rain sensing is one thing, and it's fine for turning the wipers on. But some state laws also require the headlights also to be turned on. It's that way here in Missouri.

We're in the SW Missouri Ozarks south of Springfield, and well into the hills and curves on county and local roads. At dusk, when it's raining, I often encounter oncoming cars with the wipers on but the headlights off. Sometimes coming around a blind curve on a hill can be white knuckle experience.

A wire between the wiper switch and the headlight switch would be simple and cheap solution to many "lost control" and "off the road" accidents and fatalities. Of course the multifunction switches (those thingies we used to call turn signal switches) can complicate things.

I still think it's worth looking at.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ I believe some FoMoCo vehicles have their auto-headlites tied in with the (auto?)wipers but not consistently...no idea why not - Agree that it could be good to offer that combo on even the lowliest Ford with manual HL/wipers**

** something even an anti-nannie like me would appreciate
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Ford Ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^ I believe some FoMoCo vehicles have their auto-headlites tied in with the (auto?)wipers but not consistently...no idea why not - Agree that it could be good to offer that combo on even the lowliest Ford with manual HL/wipers**

** something even an anti-nannie like me would appreciate
Any way to pass it on to FoMoCo engineering? If we gotta have that third brake light, why can't we have this?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Ford Focus

Send a message via AIM to Stryford

My 2006 Ford Freestar's headlights come on automatically when the wipers are on for more than a couple of seconds and our 2008 Mariner we used to have did the same thing. My parent's 2010 Ford Escape does, as well. None of these vehicles has rain sensing wipers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 AM
Ford Ka

Hello admin my name is SAIM.. Your are having a nice nice forum. i am a new user and i will be Actively participating.. Hope you will well come me..

Sign up with Pass4sure VCAD510 for getting incredible online testking courses exam and Isaca . We also provide best University of Cambridge with guaranteed success.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Ford Kuga

What I consider dangerous are the headlight settings which allow daytime running lights to be on, but do not turn on the rear lights of the vehicle. So many people are driving around oblivious that they cannot be seen from the rear when it is rainy/foggy, or semi-dark.

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
suggestion, windshield, wiper or headlight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page