Ford Inside News banner

Warren Brown: "I pity Detroit" - WashingtonPost

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ndwariga 
#1 ·
Warren Brown: "I pity Detroit" - WashingtonPost < not what you might think!

WashingtonPost
Detroit's Lesson in the Ways of Washington
By Warren Brown
Sunday, November 30, 2008; Page G02

I pity Detroit...

...It doesn't understand that Washington takes Hollywood seriously.

It doesn't know that the nation's capital places more stock in symbolism -- the grand gesture -- than it does in relevant discussions of policy.

It is an ignorance for which the leaders of Detroit's automobile industry paid dearly during their sojourn to Capitol Hill earlier this month. The poor, naive darlings -- they came with so many misconceptions, chief among them the belief that America's politicians consider Detroit's companies vital to the nation's business.

The Detroit executives could not have been more wrong...

An aside: It should not go unstated here that no one on Capitol Hill, at least not publicly, made the same demands for business plans from Citigroup that were requested of the Detroit executives. The big bank was in trouble. The U.S. Treasury, with enthusiastic support from the Bush administration, opened its coffers and poured in billions to help keep Citigroup afloat.

Washington understands money-changers. It doesn't understand stuff makers, which means the people who make stuff in Detroit had better get themselves together when they return to Capitol Hill on Tuesday for a second bite at the bailout apple.

I have some suggestions:

more...

See less See more
#2 ·
I must say, I am utterly dissapointed in the caliber of politicians we have. Even finding decent presidential candidates is a problem.
We had a field of the most unqualified candidates to come along in a long time.

When I drive my Nice spanky American Charriot, I pity arrogant people in their crumpy imports.
This is one of the best peices I have seen written in a long time.

Thank you 2b2 for posting this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.