Ford March 2017 Sales Down 7% Overall - Ford Inside News Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

Ford March 2017 Sales Down 7% Overall

Highlights:

Overall Ford Motor Company U.S. March 2017 sales totaled 236,250 vehicles – a 7 percent decline versus a year ago
Retail sales declined 2 percent last month, with 157,740 vehicles sold
Fleet sales of 78,510 vehicles were down 17 percent, reflecting a strong year-ago comparison, with customer orders front-loaded in early 2016
Ford Motor Company average transaction pricing increased $1,800 last month, compared to an industry increase of $190*
Ford F-Series sales totaled 81,330 pickups – a 10 percent increase versus a year ago, with overall average transaction pricing up more than $2,500*
Ford Super Duty high-series trucks – Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum – represented 56 percent of 2017 Super Duty retail sales last month
Ford Escape posts record March retail sales with a 13 percent gain
Ford Expedition grew 43 percent, with 5,472 SUVs sold
Lincoln retail sales up 5 percent; retail car sales up 11 percent, while SUVs gain 2 percent

2b2, jpd80 and Bloggin like this.

Current Vehicle:
2009 AWD Flex Limited
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof | Navigation | PowerFold™ 40/40 2nd Row/Console | Refrigerator | Aftermarket dual headrest DVD System | PowerCode™ Remote Start | Towing Package | 22" Edge Sport wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Ford Focus

Re: Ford March 2017 Sales Down 7% Overall

Lincoln looking really solid. Continental is again loosing more steam, dropping below 1,000 which seems reasonable at a time when this segment has largely peaked and will be contracting in the US. They have probably satisfied their pent-up demand. As long as they can keep it at around 800-1,000 consistently for the US.

As for Ford, their car business is looking bleak, some significant product restructuring is probably ahead and I think the recent plant shuffling is evidence of that. But thankfully they have F-Series.

I'm really blown away by how big the declines are for Fusion month after month. They have lost 1/3rd of their sales in just one year despite a fresh redesign. They are just 4,000 away from the equally shrinking Focus. The rest of the industry isn't contract quite that quickly so I wonder why Ford is hurting the most. At least they are getting to the bottom of this quickly.

It's really bizarre to see Expedition propping up Ford SUV sales right now, good thing a new one is coming to take advantage. They may have timed that perfectly.

The big jump in ATPs is probably related to SuperDuty, I think we all expected that.

It's always fascinating to see these sales, the market is changing so rapidly, especially for Ford.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Ford Mondeo

Read Fields blurb in the 2016 Annual Report, it is very telling what the priorities are, and it ain't cars and the numbers are reflecting his vision.

Trouble IMO is that the loses in Ford car sales don't look to be showing up in the Ford SUV sales numbers.

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 1.6 TI-VCT SW Lunar Sky 6spd Powershift
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
Read Fields blurb in the 2016 Annual Report, it is very telling what the priorities are, and it ain't cars and the numbers are reflecting his vision.

Trouble IMO is that the loses in Ford car sales don't look to be showing up in the Ford SUV sales numbers.
That's the concerning part of what's happening at Ford, they have lost a tremendous amount of customer diversity in favor of F-Series. SUVs have not absorbed their car customers and I think we can assume most of those Fusion/Focus/Fiesta buyers didn't shift to buying F-Series. This might be part of their strategy to shed those low-profit customers, it's hard to say. It is remarkable how they've been able to transfer so much volume to higher profit trucks. As for SUVs, they still need to reorganize their manufacturing and product portfolio, everybody knows Ford is a little behind on the small Crossover category which is part of the problem. They also need a place to build more while also shuttering some of that car volume. At least we know Ford is working on it, new Escape and EcoSport on the way along with more SUV nameplates. I think they see the future and although they are not acting as proactively as they probably should, at least there won't be any guessing games on where it's heading once they get there.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-03-2017 at 02:16 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I'm really blown away by how big the declines are for Fusion month after month. They have lost 1/3rd of their sales in just one year despite a fresh redesign. They are just 4,000 away from the equally shrinking Focus. The rest of the industry isn't contract quite that quickly so I wonder why Ford is hurting the most. At least they are getting to the bottom of this quickly.
I think with Fusion, it's biggest problem is the refresh was barely noticeable, so for most customers there wouldn't be a point to trade in on a new model that you can barely tell is new. I'm pretty observant of new models on the road, and I often get the new and old Fusions confused at first glance.....from a distance I think "oh is that a new one" only to see it isn't and vice versa.

Focus has suffered from transmission woes and word has gotten around for people to not consider it because of those issues, yet they didn't change it with the refresh (which also wasn't anything to write home about, though more extensive than Fusion's).

Quote:
That's the concerning part of what's happening at Ford, they have lost a tremendous amount of customer diversity in favor of F-Series. SUVs have not absorbed their car customers and I think we can assume most of those Fusion/Focus/Fiesta buyers didn't shift to buying F-Series. This might be part of their strategy to shed those low-profit customers, it's hard to say. It is remarkable how they've been able to transfer so much volume to higher profit trucks. As for SUVs, they still need to reorganize their manufacturing and product portfolio, everybody knows Ford is a little behind on the small Crossover category which is part of the problem. They also need a place to build more while also shuttering some of that car volume. At least we know Ford is working on it, new Escape and EcoSport on the way along with more SUV nameplates. I think they see the future and although they are not acting as proactively as they probably should, at least there won't be any guessing games on where it's heading once they get there.
I was able to see the EcoSport last weekend....while a little small, it actually looked good inside and not too bad on the outside. I don't expect it to be a huge seller, but it should help some.

Current Vehicle:
2009 AWD Flex Limited
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof | Navigation | PowerFold™ 40/40 2nd Row/Console | Refrigerator | Aftermarket dual headrest DVD System | PowerCode™ Remote Start | Towing Package | 22" Edge Sport wheels
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:56 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
True. This major downturn in car sales is Ford specific, as the other major automakers are down, but in mostly single digits. Fusion is down -32% for the year and -36% for Feb, while Camry was down -13%and -3.6% respectively. Accord was -9% and -12%, and Altima at -13% and -18%. Focus down -26% and -25%, while Corolla down -8% and -4%, and Civic down -6% and 4%.

With Accord being the retail market leader, it's numbers should be more reflective of the actual market, meaning that it's Ford's lack of effort to move more Fusion models that is representing the much larger decline. Focus vs Corolla/Civic is a similar story. Can't blame the market, when the competition is doing many times better.

What's funny is the Fiesta is the only Ford car the highest sales increase for the year up 20% for the year and month. And if CUVs are the holy grail, then why is the Edge down -11% for the year and 16% for the month? What's clearly identified here is that there is not just one segment that consumers are shipping. CUVs are an option but not the only option for consumers.

Unfortunately what I have seen over the years is that Ford tends to put all their eggs in one basket. More than that, all on one vehicle. Hinging everything on one vehicle like F-Series, and let the rest dwindle on it's own without enough marketing and incentives to maintain sales momentum. So Ford vehicle sales, except F-Series, are all over the place month after month. Unlike Toyota, Honda and Nissan who are very consistent with their marketing and incentives, and their sales remain very consistent.

But Ford has never been much on sales numbers, except for F-Series. Which makes for very lopsided overall sales.

SO not buying the whole sedans are declining and CUVs are booming....cause that's not happening. What's new, what looks good, what is marketed and what is available is what sells.

Then again, Feb and April sales have always been a bit soft. Maybe due to it's time to do taxes, and some have to pay, and others are waiting for returns, which offers a sales boost for May.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:02 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

I'm not happy with the Conti's number - still hoping for 1600-per-month for my success rating
&
still hoping a completed lineup (Aviator if not also-STARstang) will have an overall energizing effect
:energizerBunny.gif:

Ford Motor Company U.S. Sales Down 7.2 Percent To 236,250 Units In March 2017
FordAuthority

by Alex Luft — Apr 3, 2017

Average Transaction Prices (ATPs):
Based on J.D. Power and Associates PIN data, ATPs increased $1,800 in March compared to an industry increase of $190
Inventory:
Gross-stock March month-end inventory, which includes in-transit and dealer stock, was 701,801 units for an 80-day supply, representing:
An increase of 19,701 units from the 682,100 units at the end of February 2017
An increase of 1 day from the 79 days supply at the end of February 2017
On-the-ground March month-end inventory was 578,958 units for a 66-days supply, representing:
An increase of 4,801 units from the 574,157 units at the end of February 2017
No change in the days supply of 66 days at the end of February 2017
- - - - - - -
3-row sales back thru 2014 for crossreferencing
Explorer/PIU
Flex //MKT
Expedition //Navi

EXCLUSIVE Navigator info/pix via Spudz64
interiors & interiors & wheels & paint swatches &
more...

Last edited by 2b2; 04-05-2017 at 03:15 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Ford Focus

Arrow Re: Ford March 2017 Sales Down 7% Overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
I think with Fusion, it's biggest problem is the refresh was barely noticeable, so for most customers there wouldn't be a point to trade in on a new model that you can barely tell is new. I'm pretty observant of new models on the road, and I often get the new and old Fusions confused at first glance.....from a distance I think "oh is that a new one" only to see it isn't and vice versa..
This is very true. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area the new refreshed Accord is literally everywhere. Even though it was a mid cycle refresh, to the regular consumer it probably looks like a completely new model compared to the last version (2013-2015); the same thing with the Camry which has had its share of drastic changes in a few short years. Whereas the Fusion, like you mentioned, had more subtle changes and looks very similar to the previous iteration so regular people probably think its the same model that's been around since 2013.

Last edited by CJKnox; 04-03-2017 at 11:41 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Ford Explorer

In response to concerns about Mark Fields and his priorities at Ford, I will say that no previous CEO that I can recall had a stronger focus on core product - vehicles. None!! No question at all. I have been quite vocal about this in the past, and will continue to be, because I experience it through his weekly (feels like daily) video blogs and written word on Ford home pages. One only has to look at how a growing Ford Performance brand or Lincoln brand. Two brands that surely would not exist today, if Alan were still in charge. And what about Bronco and Ranger returning! Huuuuge.

In each of Mark's blogs, he always repeats our companies strategies, which include:
-Fortifying strengths in core business (profit)
-Transforming under-performing segments (luxury, small vehicles, emerging markets, etc.)
-Expanding into a mobility company (electrification, autonomy, etc.)

So automotive and mobility will be Ford's focus going forward. That is their bottom line message, expounded regularly at Ford. And there is absolutely no reason to doubt that plan, that I can see anyway. If someone disagrees, I would truly love to hear it, but it has to be more than a partial quote from a report or the like. And the choice, as a CEO, is to either embrace what will surely be a radical mobility transformation in coming years or completely ignore it. Perhaps some dabbling in between. What is best, nobody knows. I trust they are doing it right.

Also, it is misleading to claim that a slight drop in sales of a few older products is somehow proof that Ford has lost it's priorities. One can easily take issue with their product cycle timing, but has there ever been an automotive company in history, ever, with consistently perfect timing across so many segments on a global scale, especially during a radically transforming business climate? I can't think of any.

So regarding the monthly report, which btw is relative to a 10 year high record one year ago, it is clear what is needed, updated sedans. Focus, Fusion and even Taurus replacements are all needed and the good news is that they are all coming, but there will be a slow drag down in the coming months due to older products, in sales volumes and perhaps even profit. Ford is however celebrating a $1800 ATP, during a time when the avg ATP is $190. Honestly, I think many will be clawing for positive sustained news in the coming months and years. Ford is no different, but they do appear to be taking more risks, which I like. They were far too conservative for too long. It is my opinion, that Mark Fields is good for Ford and has emboldened them.

=======================

Every sub-$50,000 car on the market will have to answer to the Ford from now on, no matter what badge it brings to the table.

-Road&Track
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:53 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Ford Is The Most Valuable Brand In Michigan
FordAuthority

by Aaron Birch — Apr 4, 2017

Ford was ranked the number one most valuable brand in Michigan by brand valuation consultancy Brand Finance, as well as the 25th most valuable brand in the country.

The news came out as Brand Finance released its annual list of the top 500 brands in the US, which named 14 different Michigan brands from various industries, according to Crain’s Detroit Business. Chevrolet was ranked 70th nationally – enough to make it the second-most valuable brand from Michigan.

In fact, seven of Michigan’s 14 brands to make the list were automakers: Ford, Chevrolet, General Motors, Buick, Lincoln, Cadillac, and Dodge.

Brand Finance calculates its valuations by essentially estimating how much a company might hypothetically be willing to pay in royalties to license it. This figure is based on an overall brand strength score (derived from emotional connection, sustainability, marketing investment, and other factors), a royalty rate range appropriate for the industry, and forecasted brand revenues. The consultancy valued the Ford brand at $22.4 billion. Chevrolet was valued at $11.5 billion.

(Source: Crain’s Detroit Business)

- - - - - - -

crossreference: Tesla 'news'

EXCLUSIVE Navigator info/pix via Spudz64
interiors & interiors & wheels & paint swatches &
more...

Last edited by 2b2; 04-04-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page