Warren Brown, 3/1/09, WashingtonPost: DETROIT'S CRITICS JUST DON'T GET IT - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Warren Brown, 3/1/09, WashingtonPost: DETROIT'S CRITICS JUST DON'T GET IT

hopefully everyone will know
if the author is Warren Brown
IT'S WORTH READING!
that's why his name is first in the thread title
tho I DID refrain from bolding & underlining his every other phrase like I wanted to...

Detroit's Critics Just Don't Get It
By Warren Brown
Sunday, March 1, 2009; Page G02

The nation that invented the automobile has no intention of walking away from it. That nation is Germany, which gave the world its first carriage powered by an internal combustion engine in 1885...

...Detroit is getting a bum rap.

And if President Obama does not understand that, just as he clearly does not understand some basic facts of automotive history, as indicated by his misstatement last week about which country invented the automobile, he is likely to do Detroit more harm than good...

...The Detroit that Washington loves to hate, the one that policy wonks and politicians think they can run better than industry professionals, stopped existing at least 15 years ago. It faded because executives at GM, Ford and Chrysler reached a consensus not fully embraced by Congress or the American consumer. To wit: Oil will not last forever.

Detroit's executives aren't stupid. Nor are they arrogant fools who care more for their own paychecks than they do for the their industry's or their country's future. They know that the car of the future will have to be powered by something other than gasoline or diesel -- or else there is no future...

...Finally, let's stop pretending that we are giving Detroit a "bailout" or a handout. We are making taxpayer loans to an industry that once was successful enough to pull several generations of people into the American middle class.

That industry is in trouble today for causes considerably beyond its control: wildly fluctuating fuel prices, the result of a government absent a commercially and environmentally effective energy policy; and a collapsed financial system that has put consumer credit on ice.

The Obama administration's automotive team needs to concentrate on repairing those things. What isn't needed is federal oversight, or interference, in the design and development of the kind of Detroit cars and trucks that "Americans want to buy."

more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Ford Falcon

Re: Warren Brown, 3/1/09, WashingtonPost: DETROIT'S CRITICS JUST DON'T GET IT

He could have taken the words right out of my mouth. I would hate to see cars like Mustang and Corvette get killed by Washington only to leave Porsches and GT-R's eating our cake.

Got Exclusive News or Exclusive car pictures? email me or post them here with Title "Fomoconews Exclusive: .....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Ford Focus ZX

What really is killing me is the double standard between banks and the auto industry.

The Detroit 3 get chastised for flying on private jets (that they now have dumped) while banks that have taken billions more than have been given to GM or Chrysler and will need many billions more in the long run) are still flying around.

There actually are some good reasons for the Detroit 3 to have corporate planes. Like when you need to send 20 or 30 engineers to a plant that does not have an airport with commercial service nearby. I used to have to go to the Sharonville Transmission Plant years ago. Jump on the corporate plane (turbo prop) in Detroit with 30 other engineers, fly to some local airport in OH, get picked up in a shuttle, work a day and still be home by 7 PM !

The closest commercial airport is in KY and would have made it a 2 day trip with a rental car for sure.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Ford Focus

Not to mention the massive taxes on big businesses and diesel. Those are crippling the auto industry and doing things that prevent them from bringing even more fuel efficient vehicles here to the US, such as the 60mpg diesel Ford Fiesta.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Content Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRed View Post
Not to mention the massive taxes on big businesses and diesel. Those are crippling the auto industry and doing things that prevent them from bringing even more fuel efficient vehicles here to the US, such as the 60mpg diesel Ford Fiesta.
This is true. North America should harmonize safety and emissions standards with EU and Japan...And Adopt the right to work laws.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I like his points - but writing could use a lot of work.

I has become so jaded and high demand in my reading lately..

Igor

Autosavant - Reimagined!
The new www.autosavant.COM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brown, critics, detroit, warren, washingtonpost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page