Ford recalling 89k 2013 Fusion and Escape models over engine fires - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

Post Ford recalling 89k 2013 Fusion and Escape models over engine fires

Ford recalling 89k 2013 Fusion and Escape models over engine fires, urges owners to park their cars

By Steven J. Ewing
Posted Nov 30th 2012
Autoblog

Ford has announced a recall of 89,153 vehicles equipped with 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engines over the possibility of overheating and, in some instances, fires starting in the engine compartment. The brand new 2013 Fusion accounts for 15,833 of the affected models, the other 73,320 being the 2013 Escape. This is the fourth time the recently launched Escape has been recalled, and this is the third time the recall has involved the 1.6-liter engine.

In a statement issued Friday, Ford confirmed that there have been new reports of these engines overheating, resulting in fires while the engine is running. No injuries have been reported in conjunction with this issue, and Ford states that the affected vehicles' instrument clusters may display warning notifications reading, "Engine Power Reduced to Lower Temps" or "Engine over temp, stop safely."

Ford is currently working on a repair procedure and will notify owners as soon as a fix is found. In the meantime, the automaker is urging owners to stop driving these affected vehicles and to contact a Ford dealer to arrange for alternate transportation at no charge. Owners in the United States may call 866.436.7332 for assistance with securing a different set of wheels (888.222.7814 in Canada).

Fusion and Escape models equipped with 2.5-liter naturally aspirated and 2.0-liter turbocharged engines are not affected by this recall. The Fusion Hybrid is also not affected.

Scroll down to read Ford's official release, which also contains details on how to see if your vehicle is affected by this recall simply by looking at the VIN.
Show full PR text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Ford recalling 89k 2013 Fusion and Escape models over engine fires

Really not good.. Ford really needs to get their act together on the 1.6

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Really not good.. Ford really needs to get their act together on the 1.6
What I want to know is if it's an assembly/quality issue or a design flaw.
The 1.6 EcoBoost engine has been out in Europe for some time now, there it can be found in the current Focus and the soon to be replaced Mondeo. The big question is why are the problems only appearing on the North American application of the 1.6 EcoBoost?
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Disaster ......

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
What I want to know is if it's an assembly/quality issue or a design flaw.
The 1.6 EcoBoost engine has been out in Europe for some time now, there it can be found in the current Focus and the soon to be replaced Mondeo. The big question is why are the problems only appearing on the North American application of the 1.6 EcoBoost?
I think the culprit could be attributed to a differing engine parts vendor for the Euro spec version of the 1.6 vs the American variant. GM experienced a recall on the domestically manufactured Cruze last year where a parts vendor was called into question when the same part used in Cruzes throughout several other markets hadn't failed in the 2yrs. that the Cruze had previously been on the market. Either way this issue needs to be addressed before anymore 1.6L powered Escapes or Fusions roll off the assembly line...as I'm starting to have déjàvu about the launch of the 1st gen Escape.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Ford Ka

Sure glad we bought the Escape with the 2.0L. It's unfortunate that Ford is running into these recall issues. I can recall the Focus back 5 or 6 years ago having a lot of recalls too.
Aside from this I was patting myself on the back forgetting the Escape when I found out the RAV4 that's coming out in Dec has no engine options other than the basic 2.5L. When they see their sales numbers drop they'll rectify that in a couple years. Maybe Ford could offer them some 2.0L EcoBoost's
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5
According to my partner who works at a Ford Dealership, if the dealership sells any of these vehicles during this recall, it's a $6k fee per vehicle recalled. The dealership had one they put snow tires already on for a guy and this then came out.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Proud leasee of a 2015 Ford Focus EV. MPG = infinite
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Focus RS WRC

Isn't this the 4th recall for the new Escape - 3rd for possible engine fires? This along with questions about MPG/EPA numbers & My Ford Touch spells disaster for Ford. I still believe in the automaker and thier products but I'm not sure the average buyer would agree.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Is a disaster...the core of the Ford product line up, and the all car makers in america, despite the Full size trucks, are the midsize family sedans and compact crossovers: that is the Fusion and the Escape. If Ford cant build this two segment vehicles without faults, will be a disaster...

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkedRL View Post
I think the culprit could be attributed to a differing engine parts vendor for the Euro spec version of the 1.6 vs the American variant. GM experienced a recall on the domestically manufactured Cruze last year where a parts vendor was called into question when the same part used in Cruzes throughout several other markets hadn't failed in the 2yrs.
Aren't all 1.6 EcoBoosts from the UK? ...or is the cause of the fire and overheating not directly part of the engine?

2.5 is from Chihuahua, Mexico
1.6 EcoBoost is from Bridgend, U.K.
2.0 EcoBoost is from Valencia, Spain

See the pdf link from MEDIA.FORD.COM: http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...sion_Specs.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2013, 89k, engine, escape, fires, ford, fusion, models, recalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page