Ford Inside News banner

Update: 2014 Ford Fusion to Gain Sixth Engine, Cheaper Hybrid Package

33K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  Vincent 
#1 ·
1.5L I3 EcoBoost Joining the Range
Ford Inside News
April 8, 2013
By: Austin Rutherford

Update: The new 1.5L EcoBoost is actually an inline-4. From what we have learned, Ford China presented the wrong picture during the Mondeo presentation earlier this month. This lead to reports the engine was an inline-3 from China. Hence the reason why it was originally reported on here as an inline-3.

As if the already wide ranging engine lineup weren't impressive enough, Ford is going to add another engine to the Fusion for the 2014 model year. Ford Inside News has learned through an internal document that the 1.5L 3 cylinder EcoBoost, which recently launched on the Fusion's alter ego - the Ford Mondeo in China - less than a week ago, will be available in North America. This engine will be the second inline-3 engine to be offered by Ford on the continent.

The 1.5L I3 EB is of the same engine family and is likely a bored version of the already announced 1.0L I3 EB. This engine will start sales in the Mexican-built Fiesta later this year after already being launched globally. The new bore will be available on the SE package, like the 1.6L I4 EB, of the Fusion. The 1.6L, however, will drop the automatic (and also the Stop-Start system) and will only be available with the manual leaving the 1.5L with only an automatic transmission and Stop-Start. This new engine will probably allow the Fusion to match or beat the 38 MPG highway seen in the Nissan Altima.

Ford will also launch a cheaper version on the 2014 Fusion Hybrid with the addition of the "S" package. Currently, the hybrid is only available with the SE and Titanium packages. This is likely a good sign of battery availability for Ford, which held back previous generation Ford systems. Allowing a cheaper hybrid should allow for more sales as Ford tries to pick away market share from Toyota. As of now, it is unclear if the cheaper package will make its way to C-Max Hybrid as well.

Other tech advances on the 2014 model will include available cooled seats on the Titanium and a heated steering wheel. Originally launched on the Explorer, the Fusion will also gain rear inflatable seat belts.

Visually wise, the Bordeaux Reserve and Gingerale exterior colors will be dropped and replaced with Sunset and Dark Side (perhaps to coincide with this summer's Man of Steel Movie?). A new interior package, Rid Brick Premium Leather, will be available for the interior for those tired of black or beige.

We suspect the 1.5L I3 EB will not see the end of availability with just the Fusion. Likely suspects for the addition of the small 4 pot include the Escape and Transit Connect. With these improvements and the addition of capacity at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Ford might perhaps gain enough sales to knock off the Toyota Camry from being the best selling car in the United States.

With six engines under its hood, the Ford Fusion will have an vast lineup of naturally aspirated and turbocharged gas, hybrid, and plug-in hybrid engines. One wonders if the competition between the engines will lead to the dropping of a mill. We for one, would like to see a Sport and/or ST added.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 2014 Ford Fusion to Gain Sixth Engine, Cheaper Hybrid Package

...The 1.5L I3 EB is of the same engine family and is likely a bored version of the already announced 1.0L I3 EB. This engine will start sales in the Mexican-built Fiesta later this year after already being launched globally. The new bore will be available on the SE package, like the 1.6L I4 EB, of the Fusion. The 1.6L, however, will drop the automatic (and also the Stop-Start system) and will only be available with the manual leaving the 1.5L with only an automatic transmission and Stop-Start...
this was confusing
so
the 1.5EB3 will be in the Fiesta & Fusion?not in the Focus ...so far?
and in the Fusion it will have only an automatic (tho the Fusion keeps the 1.6EB4 for a manual?)
&
any word on HP? note: 177hp and 177ftlb vs the (OLD) 1.6's 178/184

if the 1.5 (eventually) makes 140-per-liter (most gen2 EB's afaik) that 210hp
but
even more want-to-know if the 1.6 will be gen2EB ...upto 225hp????
(I WAS thinking the 1.6 could become semi-exclusive for littlest Lincolns)
AND...
...cheaper version on the 2014 Fusion Hybrid
could the cheapoElectro use a smaller engine?

...replaced with Sunset and Dark Side (perhaps to coincide with this summer's Man of Steel Movie?)
I can imagine "sunset" but any idea what DarkSide is?

#3 ·

This is a whole lot of good news. But what was seen on the 2014 Order Form was that the 1.5L will have the auto start-stop as option, and it will no longer be available on the 1.6L. The 1.6L will still have 6-speed automatic as an option.

Also the 1.5L 3-cylinder should come at the same $795 premium as the 1.6L. Just like the 1.0L should be a $795 premium + auto start-stop for the Fiesta SE, and offer close to 48mpg hwy. Better hwy mpg than the Prius c.

I see this 1.5L 3-cylinder making it to the Escape and Focus(needs the 1.5L to boost sales for 2014) as it's about the same hp and torque as the 1.6L EcoBoost, but should offer a 20% fuel economy increase. Which would have the Fusion, Escape and Focus offering the best fuel economy and the highest hp/torque of any of it's competitors, by a mile.

It sounds like the SFE package concept is being replaced with the 1.5L EcoBoost/auto start-stop option.

Based on the Fusion Hybrid SE at $27,200, it's a $3,370 increase over the base SE. The S at $21,900 + $3,370 hybrid tech, should put the Fusion Hybrid S at $25,270. The 2013 Camry Hybrid starts at $26,140 and 2013 Sonata Hybrid starts at 25,650.

An S version of the 2014 C-MAX if available, should be about $23,300, or $2k below the cost of the SE. That not only has it over $3k below the Prius v, but has it about $1k less than the base Prius liftback. And would boost sales quite a bit.

#4 ·

The 1.6L, however, will drop the automatic (and also the Stop-Start system) and will only be available with the manual leaving the 1.5L with only an automatic transmission and Stop-Start.
The point is whether 1.5L EB is with powershift or with the ancient six-speed auto. I think its a shame on FORD still offering an ancient 6-speed A/T on the modern cars (fusion, escape, euro Kuga) . Lots of people in my country dont want to buy new Kuga without a modern dual clutch gearbox at 1.6 EB .

If the 1.5 EB will be presented with powershift , I can forgive Ford for presenting 1.6 EB with a 6 speed auto instead of powershift

The official FORD media bulletin about Chinese new mondeo mentions 1.5 EB and 2.0 EB together and says both engines will be mated to a fuel efficient 6 speed gearbox . Since 2.0 EB is with only powershift, I assume that 1.5 EB will also be with a 6 speed powershift

Other than the 1.5-litre EcoBoost powerplant, the all-new Mondeo will also be available with the 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine, which serves up 170 kW of power at 5,500 rpm and 340 Nm of peak torque at 4,000 rpm. Both engines will be mated with Ford’s fuel-efficient six-speed automatic transmission.
P.S: Hope my English is okay :)

#5 ·

I can imagine "sunset" but any idea what DarkSide is?
I wonder if sunset will be some kind of orangy-red and DarkSide maybe a really dark gray almost black?

#6 ·

The point is whether 1.5L EB is with powershift or with the ancient six-speed auto. I think its a shame on FORD still offering an ancient 6-speed A/T on the modern cars (fusion, escape, euro Kuga) . Lots of people in my country dont want to buy new Kuga without a modern dual clutch gearbox at 1.6 EB .

If the 1.5 EB will be presented with powershift , I can forgive Ford for presenting 1.6 EB with a 6 speed auto instead of powershift

The official FORD media bulletin about Chinese new mondeo mentions 1.5 EB and 2.0 EB together and says both engines will be mated to a fuel efficient 6 speed gearbox . Since 2.0 EB is with only powershift, I assume that 1.5 EB will also be with a 6 speed powershift

P.S: Hope my English is okay :)
Welcome to the forum, X-Rayted! Your english is perfect, better than mine... hehehehe.

We are seeing something that i thinked had been taken more time: the 3 cyl engine invasion at Ford Motor. I think that in the future, in the near future, Ford vehicles from Fiesta to Fusion-Mondeo, will have 3 cyl engine for a base and midlevel option, and only top-of-the-line models will have 4 cyl engines. I thinked that this will take 4 or 5 years. But i see that this will occur for 2014-2015!

The next step is an F-150 with 4 cyl engine???? Or a new 3 cyl ecoboost big Taurus?

#8 ·

I want one in British racing green!
Deep Jewel Green was a great color imo

Really popular on the 2nd gen Taurus SHO but also offered on the first gen only in 91 on the plus pacakge

They had Atlantis Green on the 6th Gen Taurus but only for one year I think which was a shame

#10 ·

Anyone know when the 2.3eb and the 2.7eb are coming out? Those are the ones I'm interested in.
Nano should be out by next year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·

so this engine is a 4cyl (confirmed thread)(Media.Ford article)
but
I still have questions:
- why didn't Ford say so from the start?** marketing/hype by press release?
- IS THIS ALL-NEW? or derived?
- will there also/eventually be a 1.5 3cyl?**
- how long will the 1.6 4cyl last?
- will they continue with *just* one new EB per year? see quote below
&
- do countries that tax by displacement ignore if they're turbo'ed or not?

Media.Ford said:
Ford has sold more than 600,000 EcoBoost-equipped vehicles globally since the range was launched with the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost in 2009. Ford added the 2.0-liter EcoBoost in 2010, the 1.6-liter EcoBoost followed in 2011, and last year the 1.0-liter EcoBoost was launched, winning the 2012 “International Engine of the Year” award.

By the end of this year, nearly 80 percent of the company’s global nameplates will be available with fuel-saving EcoBoost technology.

**conspiracy theory:
thinking a press release team had heard about both types and omitted cylinder count because they weren't sure which one this 1.5 was

#19 ·

so this engine is a 4cyl (confirmed thread)(Media.Ford article)
but
I still have questions:
- why didn't Ford say so from the start?** marketing/hype by press release?
- IS THIS ALL-NEW? or derived?
- will there also/eventually be a 1.5 3cyl?**
- how long will the 1.6 4cyl last?
- will they continue with *just* one new EB per year? see quote below
&
- do countries that tax by displacement ignore if they're turbo'ed or not?

**conspiracy theory:
thinking a press release team had heard about both types and omitted cylinder count because they weren't sure which one this 1.5 was
I did mention in the older thread that EcoBoost engines usually have a naturally aspirated equivalent, including the 1.0 liter 3-cylinder engine, in Europe they actually have a naturally aspirated 79hp (80PS) 1.0 liter 3-cylinder with Auto Stop-Start.

At this stage, I think it makes more sense for them to base it on their 4-cylinder block.

Ford has a 1.5 liter Ti-VCT engine in China, India, Thailand and soon the rest of ASEAN and Europe (EcoSport).

#20 ·
It's official : its a 4 cylinder engine. All aluminium block with new features of 1.0 EB.

Its production will begin in Craiova later this month ( for Chinese new mondeo ?) .

Its for the countries that taxate cars to engine displacement of 1.5 liter.

Still no mention of powershift availability .
I think they keep making new engines for old gearboxes
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=37931

#21 ·
The 1.5T probably wasn't ready when the Fusion officially launched here in the US. The 1.6T has already been out in Europe for a little while, so it made sense to just utilize that engine rather than investing in DI and other enhancements to the 2.5 which would just be replaced in a model year anyway. Also, utilizing the 1.6T at launch gets the public more familiar with a lower-displacement, turbo-charged engine sooner.

As I understand, this engine features many new technologies that are found on the new I-3 Ecoboost engine. It was developed with Ecoboost in mind from the ground up whereas the 1.6T was initially a naturally aspirated engine with Ecoboost tech applied at a later point. This new engine is considered a 2nd generation Ecoboost engine.

#22 ·
As I understand, this engine features many new technologies that are found on the new I-3 Ecoboost engine. It was developed with Ecoboost in mind from the ground up whereas the 1.6T was initially a naturally aspirated engine with Ecoboost tech applied at a later point. This new engine is considered a 2nd generation Ecoboost engine.
The 1.5 EcoBoost is most likely based on the naturally aspirated 1.5 Ti-VCT, the same way the 1.6 EcoBoost is based on the 1.6 Ti-VCT engine. Now that the new tech has been developed for the newer 1.0 EB, I guess they can now adapt it to their new 1.5 EB engine.

The naturally aspirated 1.5 Ti-VCT engine is available in India, Thailand, China and soon the rest of ASEAN & Europe (EcoSport).
This engine is usually available in markets where they tax engines larger than 1.5 liters.

All current EcoBoost engines seem to have a naturally aspirated counterpart, including the 1.0 EcoBoost.
In Europe you can buy a Fiesta with a 79hp naturally aspirated 1.0 liter 3-cylinder engine with Auto Start-Stop.

#23 ·
I'm still theorizing...
The 1.5 EcoBoost is most likely based on the naturally aspirated 1.5 Ti-VCT, the same way the 1.6 EcoBoost is based on the 1.6 Ti-VCT engine. Now that the new tech has been developed for the newer 1.0 EB, I guess they can now adapt it to their new 1.5 EB engine...
the engineer video about EB said they'd refined their ideal bore/stroke proportions for EB - which makes me think, if not now, someday, EB will be the primary determinant for boosted engines
Dunno if Ford'll even try to eliminate naturally-aspirated
but
WHAT ABOUT HYBRIDS & plug-ins??
- can EB's work (well) in a Hybrid?
- will Atkinson continue?
- will any engines have Atkinson cycle as their primary determinant?
- could the current 1.6 4cyl be better for hybridization?
then
there's range-extender/generators . . .

#25 ·
Still no mention of powershift availability .
I think they keep making new engines for old gearboxes
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=37931
This article below does directly answer your question, but there is some news regarding Ford/Getrag transmission actions.

January 9, 2013

Ford is set to announce automatic transmission choices for its innovative one-liter, three-cylinder Fox gasoline engine – and the surprise, according to inside information from leading transmission supplier Getrag, is that completely different transmission principles will be applied to the various models in the automaker’s European catalog.

The Fiesta, for instance, will use a new-for-Europe dry clutch Powershift DCT (this is currently in USA Fiesta), while the three-cylinder engine in the larger Focus will be paired with Ford’s US-designed and sourced six-speed planetary automatic.

DeVincent, who was an engineer at Ford until he joined Getrag in 2006, did not give a launch date for the new engine/automatic pairings, nor state which transmissions would be used on other larger European Ford models. However, he did reveal that the Asian market would be the main target for Getrag’s new wet clutch 6DCT150, the six-speed, lower-torque derivative of the new-generation 7DCT300 seven-speed core model.

“This (6DCT150) transmission is aimed at Asia, where in many markets the power-to-weight ratio of vehicles is often low, and overloading is also common,” DeVincent said. “A dry clutch solution would not be appropriate where overloading is concerned.”

Questioned why Getrag would continue to offer both dry and wet clutch six-speed DCTs in the lower torque ranges, DeVincent said that, although the dry clutch solution was perfectly adequate for this type of vehicle, some automakers “just don’t want dry clutches.”
http://drivelinenews.com/news/ford-fiesta-to-use-dry-dct-while-focus-will-have-planetary-auto/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.