Ford Inside News banner

Info on engine nicknamed "Voodoo"?

53K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  korkzop 
#1 ·
Deleted at request of source.

#2 ·
A friend of a friend recently visited the dyno room at Mahle Industries (was Sealed Power, I believe). According to this guy, they are currently testing a new Ford engine nicknamed "Voodoo" that is a tad over 5 liters in size. The claim made by the folks involved in the testing is that it produces over 600 hp WITHOUT turbo or supercharging. Just wondering if anyone knows if there is such an engine under development... and if so, what application?
It sounds like a race engine....115-120 + hp/ l v8..without forced induction...this engine must be spinning in some high rpms.

#3 ·
It sounds like a race engine....115-120 + hp/ l v8..without forced induction...this engine must be spinning in some high rpms.
Agreed. I don't see any engine that size producing that kind of power for street use without some form of forced induction. Its almost hard to conceive of that kind of power even for a racing engine without forced induction. Sounds like a unicorn to me.

#10 ·
interesting that the HP-per-liter is between nat.asp. and EB2
&
something suddenly makes me wonder if it could use electric-valve-actuation??
...along with every other non-boost trick in the book

#11 ·
interesting that the HP-per-liter is between nat.asp. and EB2
&
something suddenly makes me wonder if it could use electric-valve-actuation??
...along with every other non-boost trick in the book
You mean that engine could be camless? I doubt it ..it doesn't have to go camless to achieve that kind of hp/l. There are engines that can achieve that kind of Hp/l in n.a form. Ferrari 4.5l V8 from italia 458 achieve 124 hp/l..their v12 from LaFerrari is over 125 hp/l... Problem is this engines cost a fortune, same as servicing them.
Maybe that wouldn't be a problem if Ford will make only couple of them (maybe future GT40).
I've seen koenigsegg working on camless engine..but that is years away from making in their cars (which also cost a fortune)
Koenigsegg camless engine

#17 ·
It "pays attention" to the cams all the time. However, instead of rotating the cam to change timing there is an actuator, for lack of a better word, between the cam and the valve, and the timing is changed via the actuator.

Here's a You Tube video that shows how it works and why Fiat thinks it's a better solution.

Let us know what you think.

#22 ·
Maybe it is just a coyote engine for racing application. There is Roush-Yates 5.3 l v8 "cammer" which develops over 600 hp and has slightly larger than 5.0 l displacement (5.3)...but it is based on old 4.6 l modular..Maybe this is just same type of engine based on coyote v8.

#23 ·
I remember a LOT of extreme forum-interest when the BOSS 6.2v8 was arriving
AND practically silence on posters' part afterwards...

...wonder if that engine never lived up to expectations
& if this is (IN PART) a replacement

&
not only re: camless design,
thinking that "Voodoo" implies something 'original' if not down-right weird engineering-wise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.