Ford lineup to change, but how? - Ford Inside News Community
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Ford lineup to change, but how?

Ford lineup to change, but how?
Autoweek

As with most automakers, Ford passenger-car sales are down both for the month of November and for the year. Such trends usually lead to lineup changes, and Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of the Americas, nearly confirmed that fact to Automotive News. Just last week the company introduced a new, raised version of its Fiesta, called the Active, which had more of a crossover/VW Alltrack feel to its design.

“Over time, there should be some pruning of the portfolio to support growth in other areas,” Hinrichs told Automotive News. “Clearly we’re going to invest in growing the SUV portfolio. We certainly intend to have a strong car base, as well; we don’t know where the market’s going to go. But there will be some pruning over time as there should be in a nameplate and portfolio.”

The stodgy Taurus sedan could be part of that pruning. It’s down almost 11 percent for the year. The C-Max is down 13 percent, though it ticked up in November. Those two and the slow-selling Ford Flex could all be on the chopping block.

Ford reveals the new Fiesta line-up
“If you look at our past, there have been some nameplates that have dropped off and other nameplates have been added,” Hinrichs said. “Given where the market is going, the demands for capital investment and the regulatory changes coming at us, we’ll continue to always look at the total portfolio and see where’s segmentation going and where should we be phasing out.”

Stephen Odell, Ford’s director of global marketing, sales and service, said he’s looking at options that add to the company’s SUV/crossover arm and help combat slower car sales.

“You can address both markets in some cases with a similar product offering,” Odell said, referencing the new Active.

Hinrichs also told Automotive News that the business decision to move Focus production to Mexico helped establish a future for the small car, something it may not have had in the U.S. with the former's production costs.
2b2, scford58 and ScarredKnightfan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:48 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

esp. for C-Max, I expect a replacement with a new nameplate to be taller, tippy-er, with less room inside...
...tho of course LOOK swoopier & 'tougher'...
also wonder if electrification will go on the back,BACK burner

addit: from ^there-abouts^ (inclusive) on up, all cars&cuvs will be cD6 variants,
right?

Last edited by 2b2; 12-08-2016 at 12:56 AM.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
esp. for C-Max, I expect a replacement with a new nameplate to be taller, tippy-er, with less room inside...
...tho other course LOOK swoopier & 'tougher'...
also wonder if electrification will go on the back,BACK burner
The rest of the industry is moving full steam ahead with Electrification, so if Ford is not on track to keep up, they will be left far behind. One thing the 'media' keeps forgetting about is that the benefits of driving an EV is more than just no gas, but the elimination of so many parts that need maintenance or replacement on a regular basis is huge. I don't want to buy less gas, I don't want to buy any gas, or any more emissions tests, oil changes, etc.

A 200+ mile Model 3 and 3-Series is coming.....mine mine mine..lol
2b2 and scford58 like this.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
The rest of the industry is moving full steam ahead with Electrification, so if Ford is not on track to keep up, they will be left far behind. One thing the 'media' keeps forgetting about is that the benefits of driving an EV is more than just no gas, but the elimination of so many parts that need maintenance or replacement on a regular basis is huge. I don't want to buy less gas, I don't want to buy any gas, or any more emissions tests, oil changes, etc.

A 200+ mile Model 3 and 3-Series is coming.....mine mine mine..lol
Great benefits for the driver...not so much for the dealer service center. The whole dealer infrastructure will have to change.
scford58 and Bloggin like this.

The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

So expect to see the Fiesta to go away in the US and be replaced by the Active only.
scford58 likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Focus RS WRC

Garage

I think they need to kill of the Taurus, which is obviously happening. Adding Active to some of the models such as the Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion/Mondeo could be beneficial to help with the car side of sales. We know the Ranger and the Bronco are coming so that will add to the portfolio. The C-Max needs to be replaced with a vehicle designed from the get go to run hybrid/electric/maybe hydrogen, kind of like Hyundai is doing with the Ionic.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
I think they need to kill of the Taurus, which is obviously happening. Adding Active to some of the models such as the Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion/Mondeo could be beneficial to help with the car side of sales. We know the Ranger and the Bronco are coming so that will add to the portfolio. The C-Max needs to be replaced with a vehicle designed from the get go to run hybrid/electric/maybe hydrogen, kind of like Hyundai is doing with the Ionic.
I wish they never killed the Escape Hybrid.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Focus RS WRC

Garage

The other thing that needs to be taken into account is what effect will the new president elect have? Current there is a large push towards fuel efficient vehicles despite people arent purchasing those products due to the lower cost of fuel, but still they have to exist due to the CAFE mandates. Now Trump has stated he would like to dismantle/postpone these CAFE changes so there is a likely chance we may see changes to Ford's hybrid and electrification strategy.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

How?

Here my ideas:

NorthAmerica will lose the Taurus and Fiesta
Europe will lose the Mondeo

NorthAmerica will have a cheaper version of the Focus

NorthAmerica and Europe need a new crossover between the EcoSport and Escape/Kuga. Where? Just in the place occuped now by the C-Max/Grand C-Max. Europe (and America) dont want vans/monovolumen. Everybody want a SUV.

Ford need some kind of Coupe-crossover, like the X6/X4 . Maybe based on the Edge ( and, of course, The Lincoln MKX).

NorthAmerica and Europe need the chinese 3 row seats extended wheelbase Edge. Definitly, is a different kind of vehicle than the Explorer.

One of the 2 monovolumen Europe had now (S-Max and Galaxy) need to be transformed into a crossover. Maybe the extended Edge will be enough. Maybe a new model bigger than the Edge and smaller than the Explorer could be ok.

The european Vignale upscale sub-brand need exclusives models, not only a loaded Fords with chrome and different grilles and wheels. A Mondeo Vignale cost 20000€ more than the Titanium version! Maybe is time to launch some Lincoln models in Europe under The Vignale name.

Ford need electrification, in the luxury side of the business (for now): Lincoln/Vignale. Eventually, Ford will need a platform exclusive for electric vehicles. This platform must be very flexible to make possible build sedans, crossovers with different sizes.
2b2 likes this.

FALCON LOVER ____________________________________________

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

falcon lover^^

...NorthAmerica will lose the Taurus (see quote**) and Fiesta.
Europe will lose the Mondeo...
for the Mondeo, I can see it continuing as long as a similar Fusion is being engineered & built ... or maybe I should say "MKZ"??
**quote me-elsewhere
I won't miss the Taurus name even tho I've liked (in one way or aNother) every D3/4 car
otoh
I've also speculated about morphing a range-topping Ford into a "Taurino" or "Thunderbird"
& I'm not counting those out just yet

...NorthAmerica will have a cheaper version of the Focus...
I'm kinda wondering about 2 (TWO) Focuseseses - tho with diff names. Thinking a small(er/est) Focus could replace the Fiesta here (while the bigger Focus keeps its name)
tho
they could both be Active/Cuv-ish more than sedan-ish
( dunno about ST's or RS )

...Europe (and America) dont want vans/monovolume. Everybody want a SUV...
...One of the 2 monovolume Europe had now (S-Max and Galaxy) need to be transformed into a crossover. Maybe the extended Edge will be enough. Maybe a new model bigger than the Edge and smaller than the Explorer could be ok...
...NorthAmerica and Europe need the chinese 3 row seats extended wheelbase Edge. Definitly, is a different kind of vehicle than the Explorer...

&
...Ford need some kind of Coupe-crossover, like the X6/X4 . Maybe based on the Edge ( and, of course, The Lincoln MKX)...

...my main pondering is about how Lincoln can capitalize on that
( segue )

...The european Vignale upscale sub-brand need exclusives models, not only a loaded Fords with chrome and different grilles and wheels. A Mondeo Vignale cost 20000€ more than the Titanium version! Maybe is time to launch some Lincoln models in Europe under The Vignale name.

Ford need electrification, in the luxury side of the business (for now): Lincoln/Vignale. Eventually, Ford will need a platform exclusive for electric vehicles. This platform must be very flexible to make possible build sedans, crossovers with different sizes...
I'll take your word for Europe wanting a more distinct upper-level
but
I'd much prefer using the Lincoln Brand
&
if I was in charge, I'd probably prefer to err on the side of caution (doing less) until the direction of U.S regulations and the Market can be known.
NOT saying that's the best idea
Bloggin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page