• 1 Post By igor2
  • 3 Post By MKII

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Autonomous Ford heads your way

AN AUTONOMOUS FORD HEADS YOUR WAY
Ford

Ford outlines plans to create a fleet of driverless vehicles.

Ford intends to have a high-volume, fully autonomous vehicle in commercial operation as part of a ride-hailing or ride-sharing service in 2021. You’ll likely be able to just enter your destination and let the car do the rest.

The nature of ownership is changing, Ford CEO Mark Fields pointed out in a recent speech. More and more people rely on shared forms of transportation. That means cars will be used more efficiently, decreasing pollution, saving people time hunting for parking and helping reduce traffic congestion all over the world, making life better for all of us.

Self-driving cars are a dramatic change, but the Ford autonomous vehicle team feels that people will quickly adapt, based on previous innovations. “When we first came out with anti-lock brakes, a lot of people were unsure about them,” says Ford Senior Technical Leader Jim McBride, “but then it became obvious that they were far superior to humans in braking.”

And as Fields said, this can provide us with more freedom than ever in history: “Autonomous vehicles will open up opportunities for the elderly, people with disabilities and people not yet old enough to drive themselves.”
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

re: Autonomous Ford heads your way

2b2 likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Ford Mondeo

Self-driving cars are a dramatic change, but the Ford autonomous vehicle team feels that people will quickly adapt, based on previous innovations. “When we first came out with anti-lock brakes, a lot of people were unsure about them,” says Ford Senior Technical Leader Jim McBride

Not sure if this comparison has any merits, unless he is referring to automated braking.

Unless the whole city road systems are automated I would not feel secure or safe in a autonomous vehicle, and freeway travel forget about it.
2b2 and djhogie like this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Ford Explorer

I was driving to work the other day after a windstorm knocked out power state wide in Michigan. Traffic lights were out everywhere, delaying your drive to work and forcing your to have to use some common sense when navigating through them. There was one particular 6-way intersection that was heavily congested, probably taking about 5 min to work my way through it, as you had to monitor and account for 6 directions of traffic. In that congestion was a Fusion autonomous car, running with driver. Only got me to thinking how scenarios like that are far too difficult to navigate without human input. Power outages, navigation sat’s are down, extreme weather, aggressive drivers who cut off and force automated decisions, as they gain position advantage, or perhaps to just efff with the cars. Level IV autonomy may never work well, I have concluded in my mind.

=======================

Every sub-$50,000 car on the market will have to answer to the Ford from now on, no matter what badge it brings to the table.

-Road&Track
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

^ it may be that self driving cars with v2v communication would be the best able to handle situations where power is out and traffic lights are down. This is because vehicles would be communicating with each other at a level humans cannot. I would expect the vehicles to go in a 'crisis' mode, and create their own traffic control system internally. Remember, the future plan for intersections is that there are no traffic signs, but self driving cars with v2v communication traveling along with, along side, and across other self driving vehicles with ease.

Right now BMW, Audi, Volvo, Cadillac are already adding v2v communications to standard drive vehicles. This tech should flow quickly to consumer vehicles where self driving or not, the vehicles are able to navigate normal to critical traffic situations, seeing 360 degrees all at the same time, better than a human.
Samesun likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Ford Explorer

Ford is also developing with their own form of v2v. So what. I don’t expect all the classics on the road will contribute to v2v any time soon. Certainly not in our lifetimes. Hence, high level autonomy will have many, many growing pains, that hopefully will not lead to injuries or death.

Here is a story,
My good friend works for TRW / ZF who are at the developmental cutting edge of autonomous car technology. The general consensus by many there is that, it will never work. At least, not like some are expecting. Weather alone is a major challenge. So yeah, in a perfect sunny and warm world where every car has v2v or similar, should be fine. Short of that, I am not looking forward to having to drive amongst developmental vehicles for the next 10 or 20 years, while they realize all their shortcomings.
Bloggin likes this.

=======================

Every sub-$50,000 car on the market will have to answer to the Ford from now on, no matter what badge it brings to the table.

-Road&Track
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:04 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Autonomous Ford heads your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Ford is also developing with their own form of v2v. So what. I don’t expect all the classics on the road will contribute to v2v any time soon. Certainly not in our lifetimes. Hence, high level autonomy will have many, many growing pains, that hopefully will not lead to injuries or death.

Here is a story,
My good friend works for TRW / ZF who are at the developmental cutting edge of autonomous car technology. The general consensus by many there is that, it will never work. At least, not like some are expecting. Weather alone is a major challenge. So yeah, in a perfect sunny and warm world where every car has v2v or similar, should be fine. Short of that, I am not looking forward to having to drive amongst developmental vehicles for the next 10 or 20 years, while they realize all their shortcomings.
At the very least all the v2v systems already all operate in the same spectrum - so they are CAPABLE of communication together. I also expect that in post-haste -- when the right moment comes -- automakers will standardize v2v by agreeing on a set of standard calls (like RESTful API) that is understood by all.

Ultimately, innovation comes before standardization, and with the current grade of engineering, achieving core interoperability is not hard. And standardizing too fast slows innovation.

Final point -- unlike v2v exclusive to Mercedes, or Tesla -- Ford (and GM and Toyota .... ) have enough vehicles on the road to make company-unique v2v workable. But I still suspect standardization the moment companies thing they have figured out what it is v2v should do.
2b2 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post
At the very least all the v2v systems already all operate in the same spectrum - so they are CAPABLE of communication together. I also expect that in post-haste -- when the right moment comes -- automakers will standardize v2v by agreeing on a set of standard calls (like RESTful API) that is understood by all.

Ultimately, innovation comes before standardization, and with the current grade of engineering, achieving core interoperability is not hard. And standardizing too fast slows innovation.

Final point -- unlike v2v exclusive to Mercedes, or Tesla -- Ford (and GM and Toyota .... ) have enough vehicles on the road to make company-unique v2v workable. But I still suspect standardization the moment companies thing they have figured out what it is v2v should do.
Great points, but it goes back to my main point, in that successful high level autonomy is far out there. Key word there is successful. Any standardized v2v still needs to exist in most, if not all vehicles. How soon do you think that will happen?

=======================

-Road&Track
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Great points, but it goes back to my main point, in that successful high level autonomy is far out there. Key word there is successful. Any standardized v2v still needs to exist in most, if not all vehicles. How soon do you think that will happen?
The average age of a car in the US is what 10 years? So yeah ... 10-15 years for universal v2v existence. However, I disagree that autonomy needs v2v. We have seen Level4s run around and not crash. No one needs to build Level6 or nothing... even Ford nor google are going after Level6 immediately. And and Level 4 and 5 do allow for human correction. We already cover some 90% of the normal driver's normal situations. Once we're at some 95% ... it's ready.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:56 AM
Ford Mondeo

Example of how it can go bad in a blink of an eye https://electrek.co/2017/03/02/tesla...w-note-to-use/

Now the blame game can begin.
Not the reason I posted this here but to make my point that all elements of the transportation infrastructure must be 100% compliant for this to all work.

It's all fine and dandy for the auto makers to predict that their vehicles will be ready in such and such a year, but IMO for the rest of the global infrastructure to be ready it is going to be a long ways into the future, and the costs for this to be a reality will be massive.

And the big hurdle of course will be how to make it all work in tune with mother natures not so nice mood swings.
wingsnut, 2b2 and AM222 like this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

Last edited by MKII; 03-20-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page