2018 Ford Explorer - Ford Inside News Community
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
News Guru

2018 Ford Explorer

FORD PROJECTS CONTINUED SUV GROWTH, ANNOUNCES EXPLORER UPDATES FOR 2018

NEW YORK, April 10, 2017 – Ford sees the SUV segment growing further – accounting for more than 45 percent of the non-premium U.S. retail auto industry in the next five to seven years. Ford is well-positioned for this growth, with plans to add five all-new SUVs to its lineup in North America by 2020.

Demographics are driving the anticipated trend, as more millennials and baby boomers favor the functionality and technology SUVs bring.

“In the 1990s, SUVs defined the unstoppable American spirit, and once again, we’re seeing a utility boom take hold with a whole new generation of customers,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president, U.S. marketing, sales and service. “Two sets of consumers – millennials and baby boomers – are driving this growth, and Ford will be ready with a full portfolio of SUVs to meet their needs.”

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...r-updates.html
2b2 and hbmf3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:38 PM
Focus RS

Re: 2018 Ford Explorer

Weird that all the camo we saw was for a very modest bumper update, but at least the mystery is cleared up now.

I wouldn't really call this an MCE, no substantive updates. I think it's mostly an MCE extension since the segment is getting more competitive with Ford Explorer sales peaking/softening, they need to spruce up the old goose to get it to 10 years before we hopefully see something new. It's a little like what happens to the Grand Cherokee.

It's always a little surprising to me that Ford's most profitable and bestselling products tend to see the longest and occasionally uncertain timelines.
ehaase and FordSUVfan like this.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:30 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseodiaga4 View Post
@Jose
I like the front / fog-dents are cute / but too much darkgray rocker/wheelarch/bumper plastic...

...imho the last is reason enuf to bring back Mercury - even tho my lineup wouldn't go that large
scford58 likes this.

"The perception that a Lincoln is less, is more important than the reality that Lincoln is more than enough" SP1966
mini .Pdf brochures for ALL 2018 models
Navi info/pix interiors & interiors & wheels & paint swatches &
more...

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Focus RS

The update is a little unusual, it comes only 2 years after the 2016 MCE. By comparison the Explorer went from 2011 to 2015 without any revisions. It could be Ford responding to the new Chevy Traverse with something fresh for the same year. I still like the look of the Explorer better although I expect the Traverse to be a substantially more modern vehicle overall. The real issue with Explorer is interior size and platform dynamics but as long as they match amenities it should be fine.

I am really surprised to see it didn't get active crash avoidance, that must be a platform limitation?
ehaase and FordSUVfan like this.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:48 AM
FIN Staff Member

Explorer just cleaned up it's lines, to get it even closer to it's luxury competition

2b2 likes this.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:53 AM
FIN Staff Member

Very nice head on...a really clean look.

And I really like the second row bucket seat option...

2b2 and hbmf3 like this.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Focus RS WRC

Garage

This subtle refresh is very confusing to me. The amount of changes done borders on the line of why bother and the fact that a major refresh was only a year to two ago. Have they pushed back the timeline for the all new one?
FordSUVfan likes this.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Ford Explorer

Red face Re: 2018 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
The update is a little unusual, it comes only 2 years after the 2016 MCE. By comparison the Explorer went from 2011 to 2015 without any revisions. It could be Ford responding to the new Chevy Traverse with something fresh for the same year. I still like the look of the Explorer better although I expect the Traverse to be a substantially more modern vehicle overall. The real issue with Explorer is interior size and platform dynamics but as long as they match amenities it should be fine.

I am really surprised to see it didn't get active crash avoidance, that must be a platform limitation?
The new Traverse is quite the package overall, there is no doubt. And you are right about platform limitations restricting several safety and convenience features. Explorer is getting old for sure, but manages to still be a great seller, no doubt primarily due to looks and V8 power. Chevy is still behind in those aspects. But there is no doubt new platform Explorer will address shortcomings, and then some. In total, as mentioned, Ford will have quite the lineup once they add Bronco. New Expedition easily outclasses Tahoe, and they have no direct competitor to Edge and Bronco.
And here is a little tip on Bronco and it's roof. Think, 6 pack. All I'm sayin.
scford58, hbmf3 and badhac like this.

=======================

Every sub-$50,000 car on the market will have to answer to the Ford from now on, no matter what badge it brings to the table.

-Road&Track
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Focus RS WRC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
The new Traverse is quite the package overall, there is no doubt. And you are right about platform limitations restricting several safety and convenience features. Explorer is getting old for sure, but manages to still be a great seller, no doubt primarily due to looks and V8 power. Chevy is still behind in those aspects. But there is no doubt new platform Explorer will address shortcomings, and then some. In total, as mentioned, Ford will have quite the lineup once they add Bronco. New Expedition easily outclasses Tahoe, and they have no direct competitor to Edge and Bronco.
And here is a little tip on Bronco and it's roof. Think, 6 pack. All I'm sayin.
I think another thing that contributes to Explorer sales in name recognition. It's amazing how people immediately have the Explorer come to mind when someone mentions an SUV. The name is well known and carries a lot of cache. Whereas GM's competitor to the Explorer through the years has been Blazer, Trailblazer, and now Traverse.
2b2, Logans Run, scford58 and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Ford Focus ZX

What do you guys think about Expedition growing in size while Explorer remains 112' wheelbase/
Does this give Ford reason to consider a longer wheelbase for NG Explorer while giving more
"product space" to Edge below it?

While I really like what Ford has done with the D3 Explorer, it is aging well but should be following
buyer trends towards better packaging of a 3-row SUV below the full sized BOF versions.

Interesting to see this refresh and speculat about the direction of NG Explorer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page