Future Mustang Predictions (*re*merged) - Page 7 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Re: 2015 Ford Mustang GT Coupe Design Concept: A Look Into the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes5.0 View Post
Chances are good to excellent that a competitor would just make their 300hp base car all that more attractive. You're not going to lower cost much with a 250hp motor either, and automakers aren't going to offer a sport coupe with rolldown windows and no a/c. You can't even get a Focus that way, so why would you do that to an iconic Mustang? Sorry, but sometimes less is just LESS.
The price difference doesn't to be that great, with a smaller, lighter, more efficient car it will open it up to a larger audience. Think of the Fox 'Stang with its 4 banger base engine, not everybody who wants a Mustang needs, or even desires the big power engine. Young women for the most part are going to want the Mustang look, they rarely care how fast it goes, and are far more interested in the practical side of things, the smaller engine wouldn't be that much slower, and yet would likely get better mileage and be a great choice for that market. Sometimes less is actually more, depends on a persons priorities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
...the nextgen Camaro will move from the Commodore to the new Alpha (ATS) platform
iirc

... it wouldn't be very Fordish to add a new engine at the end of a model's lifetime, I believe it'd be a great way to say what's coming - - wonder if they'll do it IF we get a ga$ $pike (like right after the election?)
Yep, the Camaro is wisely moving to a smaller, lighter platform. It'll be interesting to see if it weighs less than the new Mustang due around the same time or even the current Mustang, which is substantially lighter than the current Camaro.

Ford could've added the EB I4 for the '13 model since it's had numerous updates in appearance and mechanics. It's amazing how quick the V6 is while returning such remarkable fuel economy. The 3.7L V6 is as fast as many of the 5.0s from the 80's, which leaves room for an engine that is not quite as quick, but still respectable, while returning even better F/E numbers. I think that an EB I4 Mustang would then attract buyers who never thought twice about it. Ford has done an excellent job of building a Mustang for just about everyone; adding it just expands the customer base that much more.

Don't get me wrong: I still want a convertible GT Premium if only for the 5.0's rumble...

Buy American!
Buy Ford!
So say we all...
post #63 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Future Mustang Predictions (*re*merged)

I merged nextgen Mustang threads again
cuz
I found a couple renderings by "Sean" to add
(they're a bit too big to post so here are Links)

side 2547x1296
rear quarter 1280x850
post #64 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
Yep, the Camaro is wisely moving to a smaller, lighter platform. It'll be interesting to see if it weighs less than the new Mustang due around the same time or even the current Mustang, which is substantially lighter than the current Camaro.

Ford could've added the EB I4 for the '13 model since it's had numerous updates in appearance and mechanics. It's amazing how quick the V6 is while returning such remarkable fuel economy. The 3.7L V6 is as fast as many of the 5.0s from the 80's, which leaves room for an engine that is not quite as quick, but still respectable, while returning even better F/E numbers. I think that an EB I4 Mustang would then attract buyers who never thought twice about it. Ford has done an excellent job of building a Mustang for just about everyone; adding it just expands the customer base that much more.

Don't get me wrong: I still want a convertible GT Premium if only for the 5.0's rumble...
The 80/90s 5.0 was @ 225 HP. The 05 Mustang GT 4.6 was 300 HP. The new 3.7 has both of them beat.......and a V6 no less.
post #65 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post

not sure how they can make a decontented, less'spensive version into an option...
...I've wondered that before - for Lincoln!

the nextgen Camaro will move from the Commodore to the new Alpha (ATS) platform
iirc

imho that's really good idea, T'Cal - tho it wouldn't be very Fordish to add a new engine at the end of a model's lifetime,
I believe it'd be a great way to say what's coming - - wonder if they'll do it IF we get a ga$ $pike (like right after the election?)
I know that the Camaro will move to the alpha platform and I expect to see a turbo four in it when it does. The advantage Ford has is that for the current models, the Mustang is hundreds of pounds lighter than the Camaro and they could CHOOSE to put their EB I4 in the Mustang now instead of waiting until the next model like Chevy HAS to. Ford should get ahead of the game on this one.
post #66 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmm55 View Post
The 80/90s 5.0 was @ 225 HP. The 05 Mustang GT 4.6 was 300 HP. The new 3.7 has both of them beat.......and a V6 no less.
Yes, but while horsepower is king, its the torque that made those old 'Stangs fun to drive. Thats one of the big reasons the Ecoboost engines receive such good reviews, the low end torque make them feel more powerful then they are. Those 3.7L V6 'Stangs have horsepower, but feel like you're driving a car with a big rubberband for an engine.
post #67 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Yes, but while horsepower is king, its the torque that made those old 'Stangs fun to drive. Thats one of the big reasons the Ecoboost engines receive such good reviews, the low end torque make them feel more powerful then they are. Those 3.7L V6 'Stangs have horsepower, but feel like you're driving a car with a big rubberband for an engine.
I've had 2 of those 5.0s. A 82 Capri 5.0 HO/4 speed and a 90 Mustang LX convertible 5.0/5 speed. And a 05 Mustang GT. I would NOT say the 3.7 is "rubber band like"......at all. There it depends on the gears (usually economy). The new 5.0 is such a monster though it pales in comparison.
post #68 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I know it's heresy. I want a four door Mustang.
post #69 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
I know it's heresy. I want a four door Mustang.
>> your source for heresy

this fanboy moment has been brought to you by & 2b2
we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
post #70 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Your image isn't loading. I'm not talking about a 4 Door Lincoln, a 4 Door Mercury, or even a 4 Door Falcon. I want a 4 Door Mustang (in addition to the coupe). Assuming the next gen is more Evos than Retro the design should support it. The "faithful" will be up in arms, the blogs will be full of people outraged talking about the sacrilege, all the while the sedan would be flying off the lots, and further support the continued development of the coupe. Look what the 4 door did for the Wrangler brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2015, concept, coupe, design, ford, future, merged, motortrend, mustang, prediction, predictions, remerged, vehicles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page