In-depth test raises questions about Ford C-MAX fuel economy - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

In-depth test raises questions about Ford C-MAX fuel economy

In-depth test raises questions about Ford C-MAX fuel economy

http://www.leftlanenews.com/in-depth...-economy.html#

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=371553

A highly scientific test of the Ford C-MAX and its Toyota Prius v rival has raised further questions about both the EPA-developed fuel economy test and the real-world efficiency of the blue oval's highly-touted 47 mpg eco-flagship.

CleanMPG.com aimed to set the record straight by pitting a C-MAX against the Prius v in a series of measured tests. The site admits that its primary agenda was to address Ford's claims that the C-MAX is a class leader in terms of fuel economy and cargo space. In addition, the same California law firm that succeeded in filing suit against Hyundai and Kia over allegedly inflated fuel economy claims has put Ford in its sights based on disgruntled consumer findings in the C-MAX.

In addition, CleanMPG.com used a standard Prius liftback as a guideline.

A series of tests that included both urban and long-trip highway driving, plus a measurement of cargo hauling abilities revealed some pretty staggering differences between the two models and the EPA test rating.

All three vehicles saw their tanks filled to the brim, their tires set to recommended pressures and their oil levels confirmed. In addition to using the built-in trip computers, CleanMPG.com calculated actual fuel consumption at each fill up. Not surprisingly, the built-in trip computers generally proved optimistic.

Article continues at link above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: In-depth test raises questions about Ford C-MAX fuel economy

That surely was detailed .. but media cars versus a rental? why not call ford and get a media car? Nope!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

imho, at this point,
the next reviewer needs FIRST to re-create the EPA test and publish Those results
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:43 AM
Ford Mondeo

Wayne is such a **** disturber, For someone who tries to appear as a knowledgeable car person, his biased is almost as disgusting as Consumer Reports.
Sorry I find Wayne to be a complete idiot.
Until and if the EPA finds that Ford cheated, these so called car journalists should sit back and save their time and money.
Unless of course they have an agenda, which is very obvious in Wayne's ramblings.

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 1.6 TI-VCT SW Lunar Sky 6spd Powershift
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkii View Post
wayne is such a **** disturber, for someone who tries to appear as a knowledgeable car person, his biased is almost as disgusting as consumer reports.
Sorry i find wayne to be a complete idiot.
Until and if the epa finds that ford cheated, these so called car journalists should sit back and save their time and money.
Unless of course they have an agenda, which is very obvious in wayne's ramblings.
amen!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
imho, at this point,
the next reviewer needs FIRST to re-create the EPA test and publish Those results
According to the EPA, Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law.
I think the problem is fine tuning the car to get high MPGs on a virtual test doesn't always mean you'll get the same results in real world driving situations.

What Ford should have done is do the EPA Fuel Economy lab test, then do an actual real world driving test so they can compare results and do the tweaking that's needed to improve the real world MPGs.

I think the real problem here is the method used (which is specified by federal law) to measure fuel economy, it's not accurate. Real world MPGs can be higher, and if you're not lucky, it can be lower than the lab results.

PS: Any C-Max Hybrid or 2013 Fusion Hybrid owners here?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

If Ford tuned their hybrids to do well on the EPA test all the while understanding that there would be a large disparity between those results and real world results then shame on them. I'm a big believer in under promising and over delivering. To do the opposite, to promise that which can not be achieved is worthy of whatever scorn they receive.

You cannot tell me that Ford did not test these cars in real world scenarios, and having done so they had to be aware that the 47/47/47 was to put it lightly, highly optimistic. There is zero chance that they tested only under EPA guidelines, which in my opinion make them guilty of false advertising.

I am, and always have been a Ford guy, and it pisses me off when they do underhanded crap like this. They are a company on a roll, a good roll, why would you put your steller reputation on the line like this? Especially after they were the ones to call out Hyundai for the very same practices.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 AM
Ford Mondeo

^^^
But some owners are achieving, and even some exceeding the EPA ratings.
I'll say it again, until the EPA study shows Ford cheated or not, the pissing and moaning is meaningless to me.

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 1.6 TI-VCT SW Lunar Sky 6spd Powershift
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
^^^
But some owners are achieving, and even some exceeding the EPA ratings.
I'll say it again, until the EPA study shows Ford cheated or not, the pissing and moaning is meaningless to me.
The problem here is the standardized test procedure specified by federal law, this virtual lab test procedure is not accurate.
What might look good on paper (computer screen) might not apply in real world driving situations.

Some auto journalists like John McElroy think that the EPA should revise their test procedures, I think they should really consider this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Ford Mondeo

John Davis, C-Max Chief Program Engineer was the guest on last week's Autoline After Hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0RBw...ayer_embedded#!

Interview starts at the 19:11 mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cmax, economy, ford, fuel, indepth, questions, raises, test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page