Ford Inside News banner

Tweak!

Tags
tweak
73K views 104 replies 19 participants last post by  joseodiaga4 
#1 ·
dunno if I'll get around to posting more "tweaks" (small changes that make big diffs imho)
but
since I said about the Maxeeema (elsewhere), "some of it's many themes could possibly be attractive..."

Panther platform, wlb 117.7", ovl approx 205"

not the copy I used for the original, but same shot @ netcarshow

See less See more
#2 ·
dunno if I'll get around to posting more "tweaks" (small changes that make big diffs imho)
but
since I said about the Maxeeema (elsewhere), "some of it's many themes could possibly be attractive..."

Panther platform, wlb 117.7", ovl approx 205"

not the copy I used for the original, but same shot @ netcarshow
Oh I really like it GREAT work 2b2. ;)

It's amazing how you could take such an unattractive car and put the Mercury twist on it and make it look so great.

#3 ·
TY, Mr.SABLE! :) wasn't sure if anyone would like it
tho
kinda cheated... ...afterall practically any car looks better as a Merc :D (imho)
&
actually did a scribble a long-looong time ago with similar hood sculpting
- the rounding of the center part should continue overall fender-to-fender (part of a 'monoblock' theme) & the rrrrrridges should be a bit sharper and NOT extend all the way to the A-pillars (HATE that - 'xcept for the MKS)
and o'course fixed that horrible hood cutline -
also
think scale is very important & this'd work better on a 'larger canvas' (kinda majestic 'n complimentary-yet-diff to Lincoln's bow-wave) than the Maxeeema's smaller-than-before lack'o'size
so
really I was just using/abusing the poor Maxeeema
(rhymes withNoxzema ;))

#7 ·
Tweak! (part deux)

okie dokie, here are a couple more tweaks - more in tune with the idea of re"aligning" a known vehicle.
I started this 2nd tweak over a year ago and just went back to it

stock
tweaked

in addition to the obvious stuff*, the wheels have the center of their spokes blacked-out for a split-spoke look and the lower fascia opening has more dividers - ideally 1/2 or 1/3rd the number of grille-slats (didn't obsess about spacing/# in the chop)
here's the close-up superimposed on the whole car; the original (tho different sizes) is @ NetCarShow.

* stuff that may be obvious:
raised the headlites (to match the hood cutline) AND the top of the corner-bumper and sidemarker along with it,
while shrinking the turn indicator & changed inner bumper's shape & simplified the foglite
- think this looks stronger while less "ruler-ed".
the grille is close to what I was trying for, would have needed to re-do the hood for the full treatment;
- the main thing is the lower curve = "the Mercury smile" :);
it would actually be emphasized by a thicker/wider lower metal 'lip' that I didn't try to draw - hope it looks 'friendlier' without looking like a Japanese brand's "anime-happyface"... ...yet confident;
...and one of the reasons I curved the grille top: here's an old 500 chop with a similar shape for sharing a hood
(different bumper = straight lower edge for the 500/Taurus).

& a quick #3

the main difference is the steeringwheel from the Mountaineer (which I think I prefer),
never could understand why every model needs a different one - like my rant about different upholstery in each model.
...also brightened the pwood & tried to change the IP to the new blue lighting.
(the full original of the Sable's interior from NetCarShow)

#4, which I might skip (see MKS-Mercury, here), would be making the Sable's tail lights extend onto the trunk lid - not identical with the Milan's, but using the same general theme. Eventually, would like to do a nextgen with more slit/ribbon-like shapes, towards a mostly-smooth, invisible-lite-fixtures look
- also might do 'invisible' fogs for the front.

#8 ·
Re: Tweak! (part deux)

okie dokie, here are a couple more tweaks - more in tune with the idea of re"aligning" a known vehicle.

stock
tweaked

in addition to the obvious stuff*, the wheels have the center of their spokes blacked-out for a split-spoke look and the lower fascia opening has more dividers - ideally 1/2 or 1/3rd the number of grille-slats (didn't obsess about spacing/# in the chop)
here's the close-up superimposed on the whole car; the original (tho different sizes) is @ NetCarShow.

raised the headlites (to match the hood cutline) AND the top of the corner-bumper and sidemarker along with it,
while shrinking the turn indicator & changed inner bumper's shape & simplified the foglite
the grille is close to what I was trying for, would have needed to re-do the hood for the full treatment;
it would actually be emphasized by a thicker/wider lower metal 'lip' that I didn't try to draw - hope it looks 'friendlier' without looking like a Japanese brand's "anime-happyface"... ...yet confident;
...and one of the reasons I curved the grille top: here's an old 500 chop with a similar shape for sharing a hood

& a quick #3

the main difference is the steeringwheel from the Mountaineer (which I think I prefer),
never could understand why every model needs a different one - like my rant about different upholstery in each model.

#4, which I might skip (see MKS-Mercury, here), would be making the Sable's tail lights extend onto the trunk lid - not identical with the Milan's, but using the same general theme. Eventually, would like to do a nextgen with more slit/ribbon-like shapes, towards a mostly-smooth, invisible-lite-fixtures look

2b2 All I can really say is wow you do excellent work I love it you really made the front end on the Sable look much better. I love your interior to the wood trim looks better in you photo than in the original one. The rims look better also.

Again Great Work ;) . PS Love the Mercury Smile! :D

#9 ·
Looks good, except, personally, I'd think the Mercury emblem would look better centered in the grille.

#10 ·
Re: Tweak! (part deux)

stock
tweaked

& a quick #3

Good work 2b2....a few comments:

1. They all look great!
2. the top curve of the updated grille makes me think of a Buick LaCrosse or Lucerne
3. I like the new foglamp treatment as well as the raised headlights....I agree the headlight 'lines' should meet with the hood cut-line.
4. As far as the Mountaineer steering wheel goes, I'm not sure how that would look....it may be too big?
5. The MKS chop doesn't look too bad, although, I think changes to the greenhouse, or at least the window shape, would better differenciate this new Sable from the MKS.

#11 ·
I'm not sure if I've posted this before but it's a new Lincoln Mark LT based off the Navigator.

Anyways....I'm posting it here to be more of a tweak to the Navigator's front end.....notice the lower grille ends and the foglights are by themselves compared to the Navigator's full width grille.

Attachments

#12 ·
Re: Tweaks!

a lot to catch up with :)

first, TY, Mr.SABLE!
tho I trusted you to be polite if you didn't like it ;) and know I didn't intend any disrespect,
sorta thought of you as my main judge, since you have one & it's your username and all - so, very glad you approve!

&
Thanks for commenting, RMC! hoped you'd drop by...
re:
"2. the top curve of the updated grille makes me think of a Buick LaCrosse or Lucerne"
yeah - that's why I mentioned the un-re-drawn hood (which would be inspired by a brand...I "don't say its name" any more cuz I do think of it as sort of a Voldemort :p).

"4. As far as the Mountaineer steering wheel goes, I'm not sure how that would look....it may be too big?"
Dunno - I pasted the Mountaineer's SW into the GM's, so they're the same size in the chop - it'd be interesting to tape-measure them at a dealer, as well as all Merc SW's - wonder if they could All have the same SW?

"5. The MKS chop doesn't look too bad, although, I think changes to the greenhouse, or at least the window shape, would better differenciate this new Sable from the MKS."
That wasn't *quite* a serious suggestion, more of a what-if
although...
got this feeling that if the current Lincoln MKS is replaced with a Rwd successor, Maybe the hand-me-down could happen
in which case,
whacha think? - would they have to make big changes? (greenhouse is a big expense afaik)
or
would minor changes to an already-higher model which wouldn't be continued make it ok?

&
"I'd think the Mercury emblem would look better centered in the grille."
Couldn't resist trying out that idea... didn't give it much effort, so it does look sorta "stuck there"... maybe with the broader lower trim (MercurySmile reference) which could come halfway up the logo?

#13 ·
I'm not sure if I've posted this before but it's a new Lincoln Mark LT based off the Navigator.

Anyways....I'm posting it here to be more of a tweak to the Navigator's front end.....notice the lower grille ends and the foglights are by themselves compared to the Navigator's full width grille.

Cool!
- glad you posted these, RMC!
- like them both!
- and it reminded me to go grab an old-old Navi chop of mine & stick it on photobucket

as you can see, I definitely agree that the fascia needs a re-do
&
I still like the vintage-Continental-inspired grilles
(Aviator concept was best so far imho)
and hope someday Lincoln can offer 3 grille options on most/all of their vehicles:
- bow wave
- Conti grille
&
- a "mesh-star" (please forgive the primative, low quality gif)

&
re: a Lincoln truck,
you've heard about the F-100 that's supposed to be in the works, right?
what would you think about Ford keeping the F-150&up exclusively theirs
but
offering a Lincoln F-100? (assuming it's substantially diff from the F-150 & not as small as the nextgen Ranger/littlest-truck)
&
last: wonder if/what Fomoco's ever gonna use that 6-door design on???

#14 ·

a lot to catch up with :)
Thanks for commenting, RMC! hoped you'd drop by...
re:
"4. As far as the Mountaineer steering wheel goes, I'm not sure how that would look....it may be too big?"
Dunno - I pasted the Mountaineer's SW into the GM's, so they're the same size in the chop - it'd be interesting to tape-measure them at a dealer, as well as all Merc SW's - wonder if they could All have the same SW?

"5. The MKS chop doesn't look too bad, although, I think changes to the greenhouse, or at least the window shape, would better differenciate this new Sable from the MKS."
That wasn't *quite* a serious suggestion, more of a what-if
although...
got this feeling that if the current Lincoln MKS is replaced with a Rwd successor, Maybe the hand-me-down could happen
in which case,
whacha think? - would they have to make big changes? (greenhouse is a big expense afaik)
or
would minor changes to an already-higher model which wouldn't be continued make it ok?

&
"I'd think the Mercury emblem would look better centered in the grille."
Couldn't resist trying out that idea... didn't give it much effort, so it does look sorta "stuck there"... maybe with the broader lower trim (MercurySmile reference) which could come halfway up the logo?
You're welcome....I check almost every day, but many times because of the limited volume of posters here, there's nothing new....someday I hope to get caught up on the "Mission: Mercury" thread that you've mentioned before and I'll try to throw in my .02 cents on the posts.

BTW, I have other chops that I'd like to post, but the limited image size has in some cases prevented me from posting them...and I haven't had time or felt like resizing them to meet this forum's specs. Maybe would it be possible for the moderators to increase these requirements?

With the steering wheel.....it could work and could be the same size, I don't know.

My point on the window shape was, (see picture) I wouldn't want the Mercury version to share the same curve, with Ford trying to give each brand it's own sheetmetal, maybe they could square the shape a little more. Now, the hand-me-down idea you mentioned could work well if done right.

Your updated grille idea could work, maybe you could try a chop when you get a chance?

#15 ·

BTW, I have other chops that I'd like to post, but the limited image size has in some cases prevented me from posting them...and I haven't had time or felt like resizing them to meet this forum's specs. Maybe would it be possible for the moderators to increase these requirements?

Hey RMC... You've got a PM!!!!!

#16 ·

for YellowZx5 :)
hope you don't mind (as I warned by PM that it probably wouldn't) doesn't have a Lincoln-esque grille...
actually when finished it reminded me of something - a bit of Cougar, yes - but something else too (anyone?)
think it looks kinda 'sporty' yet dignified - in a racing(land)yatch kinda way...

anyway
this grille's "Mercury-Smile" turned out pretty good imho - waterfall taken from the Mountaineer, foglites too (tho shrunk),
also, you may have to look-close or turn-up the brightness on your monitor, but the center lower fascia has matching grillework but in a dark finish...
the wheels are from the MetaOne (tried the Messenger's but thought them too extreme),
the HL's borrow from the Milan's style of course - and the un-chopped rear would too.

The original rendering (not my chop) was based on the 2002 Interceptor concept
< bigger pix at site
BUT < big 'but'
someone else did the hard work of turning it into a civilian sedan before I ever played with it
(think I found it on or thru BON, & the original chopper's name was something like "BlueMercury76"...
don't remember anymore since it was years ago/can't find the file I wrote it in, but DO want to give him credit).
However I did re-draw the "Galaxie's" front bumper from scratch - first time I tried doing that!

And if I remember correctly (& sorta confirmed by the comparo), pruned both front & rear overhangs (hopefully at least 5" total)
and not only lowered the the roof but raised the beltline for a 'wedge' look - so the overall height is close to the real CV's

included ^^ to show its 'tweak-ness' ie. relatively small changes - imho the Panthers' style is plenty capable of going modern.

#17 ·

for YellowZx5 :)
hope you don't mind (as I warned by PM that it probably wouldn't) doesn't have a Lincoln-esque grille...
actually when finished it reminded me of something - a bit of Cougar, yes - but something else too (anyone?)
think it looks kinda 'sporty' yet dignified - in a racing(land)yatch kinda way...

anyway
this grille's "Mercury-Smile" turned out pretty good imho - waterfall taken from the Mountaineer, foglites too (tho shrunk),
also, you may have to look-close or turn-up the brightness on your monitor, but the center lower fascia has matching grillework but in a dark finish...
the wheels are from the MetaOne (tried the Messenger's but thought them too extreme),
the HL's borrow from the Milan's style of course - and the un-chopped rear would too.

The original rendering (not my chop) was based on the 2002 Interceptor concept
< bigger pix at site
BUT < big 'but'
someone else did the hard work of turning it into a civilian sedan before I ever played with it
(think I found it on or thru BON, & the original chopper's name was something like "BlueMercury76"...
don't remember anymore since it was years ago/can't find the file I wrote it in, but DO want to give him credit).
However I did re-draw the "Galaxie's" front bumper from scratch - first time I tried doing that!

And if I remember correctly (& sorta confirmed by the comparo), pruned both front & rear overhangs (hopefully at least 5" total)
and not only lowered the the roof but raised the beltline for a 'wedge' look - so the overall height is close to the real CV's

included ^^ to show its 'tweak-ness' ie. relatively small changes - imho the Panthers' style is plenty capable of going modern.
Good work 2b2!

A few thoughts, and please don't take these as an insult to your creativity/design or anything, they're just my personal opinion:
for any production version, you'd likely need bigger mirrors, and the greenhouse looks a little small as well....I know that's the look you're going for, but I think raising the roofline even slightly would help.

Also, I think a wider grille may look better, with thinner HLs. Other than those, great work! I like your use of the Meta One's wheels, they look good on the car. Overall, pretty good update to the a dated Panther. BTW, that's one vehicle (Meta One) that I think could've done well. It looked pretty good (much better than Freestyle) for what it is/was.

#18 ·

Thanks, RMC! no offense at all :)
the main light part of the HL's I barely changed & kept most of the changes on the small side,
agree about a wider or just larger grille but kinda liked the outcome of the fairly quick chop
(one thing I hope returns is the yearly/or/bi-annual styling changes - SO they could really develop the themes. Seems many mfgs just do an about-face every 5-or-so years with no 'deepening' of their styles in btwn
^this^ is re: the wider grille - would make a good facelift imho)
& maybe I raised the beltline a bit too much, coulda been (over)reacting to the Panthers' large glass area from their older design philosophy...
&
do wish I could think of what it reminds me of
&
for the GRP successor, I'd like to stay with some of the chop's themes -
like the 'pontoon' front bumper - would accentuate it and make the fender>HL>bumper one smooth form; & like the clean slab-sided-ness of it;
think I need to try sculpting a model ;)
&
re: MetaOne - although imho the design has become less eye-catching with age, it still might be adapted for a Merc Freestyle/X - kinda think the Chicago factory could use/fit-in its theoretical sales numbers - assuming the FS/X gets discontinued when the Flex is out (I don't remember, has that been announced?)
&
are you familiar with the Freestyle's concept? imho that was Hot & it lost a LOT in the transition to production.

#19 ·

Thanks, RMC! no offense at all :)
the main light part of the HL's I barely changed & kept most of the changes on the small side,
agree about a wider or just larger grille but kinda liked the outcome of the fairly quick chop
(one thing I hope returns is the yearly/or/bi-annual styling changes - SO they could really develop the themes. Seems many mfgs just do an about-face every 5-or-so years with no 'deepening' of their styles in btwn
^this^ is re: the wider grille - would make a good facelift imho)
& maybe I raised the beltline a bit too much, coulda been (over)reacting to the Panthers' large glass area from their older design philosophy...
&
do wish I could think of what it reminds me of
&
for the GRP successor, I'd like to stay with some of the chop's themes -
like the 'pontoon' front bumper - would accentuate it and make the fender>HL>bumper one smooth form; & like the clean slab-sided-ness of it;
think I need to try sculpting a model ;)
&
re: MetaOne - although imho the design has become less eye-catching with age, it still might be adapted for a Merc Freestyle/X - kinda think the Chicago factory could use/fit-in its theoretical sales numbers - assuming the FS/X gets discontinued when the Flex is out (I don't remember, has that been announced?)
&
are you familiar with the Freestyle's concept? imho that was Hot & it lost a LOT in the transition to production.
With companies going to shorter product cycles (~5 yrs) with MCEs in between (every ~2 1/2 yrs), it's probably too expensive to change the design every year.
I was looking (indirectly, as in not looking at it but off to the side) at your chop and it kinda gives me a Buick aura, I don't know why.

I too have thought about getting some clay and playing with it.

I hope that Mercury gets a Sable X when the TX dies (yes, I do believe it was announced that it'll die IIRC after the 2010 model year). We all know Mercury could use the temporary sales volume (however little it may be), but with little investment, it could go a ways for the Mercury brand at the moment.

Yes, I've seen pictures of the Freestyle concept. It did look better than what they came out with, but I do like the current TX's look. I liked the Freestyle truck-bed thing they had on the concept, where the back would open up completely to be like a truck bed (they stole my idea!!). It may not sell, as evidenced by GMC's Envoy XUV, but it could if it opens completely, unlike the Envoy's design where just the roof and rear window opened up, not the sides. I don't remember seeing too much advertising for it, outside of the "this is the Envoy line, including the Envoy, Envoy XL, and Envoy XUV" general ads.

#21 ·
think the Buick comments* from both of you may have answered the 'reminds me'
the '79-'85 Riviera
< clickable from wiki
&
I do see some resemblance in the mission of Buick and big Mercs...
think the shaping of the grille is kind of a touchy thing
&
Buick has been sorta all-over-the-place incldg pure ovals
but
want to stay away from too-square shapes
(edit/addit: like the lack of top trim - to give a sorta jet-engine/vintage-Indy-car 'intake' effect)
&
something I'd like to try sometime is incorporating hood scoops á là the '54+ Mercs
but hesitate cuz I also wanna try hood scoops on Lincolns, and I like to keep M & L separate in my head

ps* thanks for the comment, NDW, appreciate & find-helpful other viewpoints :)

#22 ·

more:

With companies going to shorter product cycles (~5 yrs) with MCEs in between (every ~2 1/2 yrs), it's probably too expensive to change the design every year.

&

I too have thought about getting some clay and playing with it.
yeah, didn't necessarily mean every year
mainly to "keep developing" a style before it has to be changed completely
tho
from the conference.pdf, with platforms going to live for 10-12 years with a full tophat MCE at the halfway point plus interim facelifts, maybe it will happen
&
I've got clay laying around/probably bone dry-hard (used to do ceramics)
btw
did you know the 'clay' they use in the mfgs' studios is actually more wax than clay? (at least from what I've read) so it doesn't crumble or shrink

#23 ·

more:

yeah, didn't necessarily mean every year
mainly to "keep developing" a style before it has to be changed completely
tho
from the conference.pdf, with platforms going to live for 10-12 years with a full tophat MCE at the halfway point plus interim facelifts, maybe it will happen
&
I've got clay laying around/probably bone dry-hard (used to do ceramics)
btw
did you know the 'clay' they use in the mfgs' studios is actually more wax than clay? (at least from what I've read) so it doesn't crumble or shrink
I didn't know that about the mfgrs' clay.

#24 ·

this may look like more than a tweak...
but really it's just an experiment with the ExplorerAmerica grille that kinda got out of hand ;)
sort of a continuation of my try at sticking it on the Falcon/Tbird.
Explore-AmeriCar

major aims: reducing the height of the grille, simplifying the bumper, and tying it into a lower fascia;
for a full chop, think it'd need a slightly raised glass roof.

original @ NetCarShow

#25 ·
I think the c-pillar needs to start where the wheel well wraps up, maybe a full glass side and something more with the doors. The doors are too smooth. The foglights are way too small too. Maybe I need to get some info to chop her to perfection.

#26 ·

this may look like more than a tweak...
but really it's just an experiment with the ExplorerAmerica grille that kinda got out of hand ;)
sort of a continuation of my try at sticking it on the Falcon/Tbird.
Explore-AmeriCar

major aims: reducing the height of the grille, simplifying the bumper, and tying it into a lower fascia;
for a full chop, think it'd need a slightly raised glass roof.

original @ NetCarShow
If the window part of the beltline were higher, I'd say it look even better. Good work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.