Ford Inside News banner

BEYOND UNCOVERED: Lincoln's Future Lineup SPECULATION

21K views 57 replies 15 participants last post by  Bloggin 
#1 · (Edited)
just when you thought it was safe to go back into the Design Talent Center...
spurred on by AutoVerdict's Ford and Lincoln's Future Lineup = ordinary non-speculative assessment
a good source for realistic stuff^

These ideas began when doing the model-by-model sales chart of JaguarLandRover,
not showing the comparison but JagLR's lineup lead DIRECTLY to this one for Lincoln
__________Core__________________
Navigator ––––– F150 - 3row - as is
InterContinental — cD6 – 3row - a$ big a$ Navi but $woopy/elegant, lightweight - 120"
Aviator ——–—— cD6 – 3row -- 116"
NautiluX –—–—– cD6 – 2row as is - 112"
Xsport/Macan –– cD6 – 2row - Mustang wheelbase - 108"
__________C2___________________
MKL ————— Edge – 3row? - 112"
MKG————— Escape – 2row - 109" (Louisville (Escape also Hermosillo))
MKC————— Maverick – compact - 106" (both built in Louisville)
__________all cD6_________________
STARbrake —— "Mach 1" – carish - 112" (FlatRock per MT - no surprise imho)
STARstang? —— sedan ––– car-sm - 112"
MKE " ———— BEVsedan --- car-sm - 112"
MARK ——— Aviator-based - car-med - 116"
_________Later/maybe_______________
Conti/transConti ———— carish-LG - 120"
'GR-1' —————— 2seat - Mustang wheelbase - 108"

— –O lo...attaching "car-ish" examples

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
^
There were so many ways to execute the old theme. It wasn't derivative and homogeneous like the new theme is. It's amazing how incredibly myopic Ford can be.

I often wonder about slapping the Continental name on the MKT Concept. I found that concept to be the most elegant, well-executed example of the "split-wing" theme. Imagine that on a RWD chassis with suicide doors.....

#4 ·
just when you thought it was safe to back into the Design Talent Center...
spurred on by AutoVerdict's Ford and Lincoln's Future Lineup = ordinary non-speculative assessment
a good source for realistic stuff^

These ideas began when doing the model-by-model sales chart of JaguarLandRover,
not showing the comparison but JagLR's lineup lead DIRECTLY to this one for Lincoln
__________Core__________________
Navigator ––––– F150 - 3row - as is
InterContinental — cD6 – 3row - a$ big a$ Navi but $woopy/elegant, lightweight - 120"
Aviator ——–—— cD6 – 3row -- 116"
NautiluX –—–—– cD6 – 2row as is - 112"
Xsport/Macan –– cD6 – 2row - Mustang wheelbase - 108"
__________C2___________________
MKL ————— Edge – 3row? - 112"
MKC————— Maverick – compact - 106" (both built in Louisville)
__________all cD6_________________
STARbrake —— "Mach 1" – carish - 112" (FlatRock per MT - no surprise imho)
STARstang? —— sedan ––– car-sm - 112"
MKE " ———— BEVsedan --- car-sm - 112"
MARK ——— nautiluX-based - car-med - 116"
_________Later/maybe_______________
Conti/transConti ———— carish-LG - 120"
'GR-1' —————— 2seat - Mustang wheelbase - 108"

— –O lo...attaching "car-ish" examples
YES! Especially if there are some models with NO Ford counterpart; Conti/TransConti, MKE, STARstang, GR-1 especially if it's an anti-Corvette.

And, for added pizzaz (must sell sizzle with the steak), a limited edition of the Navigator Concept, complete with gullwing doors, extension steps and sloped roofline; sold by subscription, before production, not at dealers (like the Ford GT) at whatever price that will justify development. It will sell.

Lincoln needs a Skunkworks.

#6 · (Edited)
^ & ^^:joyous:
AutomotiveNews:
Ford set to replace 75% of N.A. lineup in 2 years

4 new nameplates planned
Michael Martinez - March 15, 2018

"...Additionally, Farley said Lincoln plans to offer two SUVs by 2020, including the Explorer-based Aviator. He said the luxury brand will add four utilities after 2020 but declined to go into specifics..."

Xsport/Macan — cD6 – 2row - Mustang wheelbase - 108"
? MKL ————— Edge – 3row? - 112"
MKC————— Maverick – compact - 106" (both built in Louisville)​
STARbrake —— "Mach 1" – carish - 112" (FlatRock per MT - no surprise imho)​
the 'G' & 'C' could count as one = one new name + one new vehicle
same eventually for the InterContinental + Conti/transConti

addit-comment:
so this means 5 [FIVE] besides Aviator = 1 by 2020 + 4 after ...right?

#7 · (Edited)
Lincoln could get versions of the Maverick and Mach 1, not sure which one is coming by 2020 however. I certainly hope for a Mach 1 Lincoln, that's really the Tesla alternative I've been hoping for.

Some of the new SUVs may also just be versions of SUVs, like HEV and PHEV. With Aviator we probably won't get a Nautilus L, Lexus doesn't have a 3-Row Crossover so it can get away with that RX half-measure. Not sure if there is an appetite for that sort of vehicle in China but again Aviator will solve that.

It's worth pointing out that there aren't THAT many 3-Row luxury brand Crossovers. Audi Q7, Infiniti QX70, Land Rover Discovery and beyond that you're looking at more exclusive large SUVs that compete with Navigator.

#8 · (Edited)
Lincoln could get versions of the Maverick and Mach 1, not sure which one is coming by 2020 however. I certainly hope for a Mach 1 Lincoln, that's really the Tesla alternative I've been hoping for..
:thumb:

...Some of the new SUVs may also just be versions of SUVs, like HEV and PHEV...
I've stopped saying 'never' :angel

...With Aviator we probably won't get a Nautilus L, Lexus doesn't have a 3-Row Crossover so it can get away with that RX half-measure. Not sure if there is an appetite for that sort of vehicle in China but again Aviator will solve that...
yeah, I had a nautiluX-L in earlier versions & took it out BUT
thinking there could still be something like a Fwd-based MKL 3-row [price-point!]...since there *IS* a 3-row CD4 Edge in China already
+ rumors of it coming here...

...It's worth pointing out that there aren't THAT many 3-Row luxury brand Crossovers. Audi Q7, Infiniti QX70, Land Rover Discovery and beyond that you're looking at more exclusive large SUVs that compete with Navigator.
real hard for me to get this into my head...
...ARE there 3-row versions of 'The' RangeRover and XC90??
:nerd: ...checking below - wonder if most are really 2¾/½/¼?

#9 · (Edited)
Re: Ford/Lincoln product forecast UPDATED
...The MKC replacement is probably going to be a 2021 MY product, the Escape is 2020. That gives the mild facelift a reason to exist, otherwise if the new car was only a MY away it would not have made financial sense. You have to remember that they never short these investments, they need to get at least 2-3 years out of a revision.
so
this^ would make my MKG in 2020
& the MaveriCK'ed-MKC for 2021... ...does that match the news? I can't keep up

Re: Lincoln aviator teased
I know Lincoln is trying to appeal to a much older clientele so I think this is part of their effort to move Lincoln back toward familiar territory for those customers instead of trying to rub against them with strange exerpimental designs, but I'm completely bored by their visual efforts. I actually have zero interest in what the outside of the Aviator will look like because I'm sure we already know it's just going to be a Nautilus/Navigator hybrid design. But I'm very curious about what's underneath and inside.
this^ is why I'm leaning towards a more adventurous Aviator +...[barring an MKL]...
+ it's the most family-oriented slot == a bit younger!!
wonder which *IS* the best-selling 3-row for 30-somethings? ...gonna 'DuckDuckGo':
USnews.com - 17 Best Lux SCuvs
1 NAVIGAT0R!!
, 2 TeslaX, 3 BmwX5/MB GLX tie, 5 Audi Q7...

&
meant to reference:
Big CUV/SUVs right now are sharing the same space that was once only held by midsize sedans. But that trend is about to end as faster, better handling, zero emissions, charge at home, electric sedans and 5-doors hit the market...
as a large part of my "car-ish" vehicle thinking/examples :thumb:

#10 ·
I think Lincoln would really do well to follow in the footsteps of Volvo and Lexus with next gen models, specifically sedans going full electric and especially with such low current volume. Currently Model S sales are double the sales of MKZ, or outsells Continental and MKZ combined.

It's interesting how previously it was hp that was the draw, then AWD, but now it's technology and the instant power/torque of an all electric powertrain, and quiet, emissions free operation, wireless charging at home so no need to plug in with Fords new inductive charging system and the highest safety crash ratings.

Just think about it...the current Continental, or a full electric, dual mode, ultra quiet, powerful, 300+ mile range rolling technology on wheels.

#11 · (Edited)
Lincoln will have the Mach 1 to play with which I'm looking forward to. The sedan will be extinct within the next decade so it's not something they need to keep investing in, especially as a brand appealing to first time customers. Even the Germans know this which is why their EVs are Crossovers instead of Tesla competitors. I use to be a Tesla fan but I'm convinced it has made the wrong early bets and their cars are becoming more outdated with many missing features...but I'm glad they started things off. At this point I know I will never buy a Tesla because I already found more appealing EVs from Audi...and likely soon from Ford/Lincoln. And personally I'm really excited by what Ford might be doing with Hybrids, could be the first automaker to find an EV solution that works without any compromise.

#13 · (Edited)
thinking the # of CARcar models might be inferred...
Re: nextgen Focus merged superThread
Ford is killing the sedans in USA, not in Europe or China or others markets. Americans don’t want to buy sedans
Re: Ford/Lincoln product forecast UPDATED
I'm aware of that, but it would seem pretty hard to sell only 10% cars with a volume product like the Focus. The Mustang+Lincoln sedan would be pretty darn close already.
:thumb:s
now I'm wondering if the 90% CSuvs&trucks referred to domestic PRODUCTION??
checked the 2017/2016 sales totals
~2,600,000 so 10% = ~260,000 = one factory-double-shift worth
I might vote: FlatRock
tho now wondering if the 10% is only for produced AND sold domestically?

#16 ·
thinking the # of CARcar models might be inferred...

checked the 2017/2016 sales totals
~2,600,000 so 10% = ~260,000 = one factory-double-shift worth
I might vote: FlatRock
tho now wondering if the 10% is only for produced AND sold domestically?

Flat Rock produces the Mustang and the Continental. By 2020 will produce the EV crossover, too. But the Mustang + Continental production is not in those numbers... are in the 150-170000 range. So, I think the Focus could be imported from China to complete that 10% of cars Ford plan to sell in NorthAmerica by 2020.

The Fusion, that is selling around 200000 units a year, is not an option in this scenario

#19 · (Edited)
hope @Andrew L doesn't mind...
imho
this is how many feel about Lincoln without a carCar

Re: 2020 Ford Bronco Teased; New Small Off-Road Crossover Confirmed
As I have stated before making it 4 door only would be a waste of a historic nameplate on top of all that.
so
if Fomoco can afford to make a 2-door Bronco, that W0N'T/CAN'T Be the best seller!!;
they need to find the $$$$ to make at least one Lincoln CAR
>:) ...and be satisfied IF it breaks even

#20 ·
hope @Andrew L doesn't mind...
imho
this is how many feel about Lincoln without a carCar

so
if Fomoco can afford to make a 2-door Bronco, that W0N'T/CAN'T Be the best seller!!;
they need to find the $$$$ to make at least one Lincoln CAR
>:) ...and be satisfied IF it breaks even
Don't mind at all quote me anywhere if you need to!

I still don't believe they are cancelling the Continental after 2 years.

Reactions: 2b2
#22 · (Edited)
A car is very expensive to produce if you don't share that development with something that can help return the investment, especially since Lincoln is very low volume. If Lincoln is the only one with the car, then the expense for development balloons substantially. It's not just a matter of sharing a platform since that's only part of the development, but a platform has to be customized for its application (Fusion/Edge/Continental CD4s are all hardly interchangeable).

I don't think Continental is going anywhere soon unless it's loosing money or they need the factory space (unlikely). It could easily be here for 8-10 years which puts it in the mid 2020s. By that time we will have yet more evolutions of the automotive form and technology which will either make Continental redundant or they will have the resources and platform scalability they need to develop a replacement. I don't think we'll see an MKZ successor however.

I wonder what's going to happen with other CD4 products like Edge/Nautilus.

#23 · (Edited)
...It's not just a matter of sharing a platform since that's only part of the development, but a platform has to be customized for its application (Fusion/Edge/Continental CD4s are all hardly interchangeable)...

...I wonder what's going to happen with other CD4 products like Edge/Nautilus.
it's been my impression that Fomoco had done a Half-Assed-job with any kind of flexibility in the past
( actually since the Model T ! )
&
tho I won't count on it - Hope the cD6 changes that!!

otoh, I'd like the Edge & nautiluX to de-couple, with the Edge (like Fusion) being a plus-sized C#/Focus/Escape/Model-E

...I don't think Continental is going anywhere soon unless it's loosing money or they need the factory space (unlikely). It could easily be here for 8-10 years which puts it in the mid 2020s. By that time we will have yet more evolutions of the automotive form and technology which will either make Continental redundant or they will have the resources and platform scalability they need to develop a replacement. I don't think we'll see an MKZ successor however...
part of the reason I think Lincoln might well do a "MARK"
then eventually, add-if-warranted(/or-replace-if-not^ with) another Continental
Main question for me is
Will they do a STARstang??
(ie small than MKZ)

#24 · (Edited)
So much depends on determining what the RWD platform is and if it's really so flexible that it can accommodate both a lightweight sports car and a big 3-Row SUV, there really is no precedent for a "platform" like this. That's not a small task and would be a fairly big undertaking for Ford to pull off while successfully serving both clients. If Mustang goes from completely locked down to wildly flexible, anything is possible in terms of Lincoln cars based on it. But as I've said before, I think the idea of a Lincoln Mustang is fairly irrelevant in an age where powerful hybrids and electric can make anything faster and more powerful. Mustang is pretty terrible at everything that's important to Lincoln.

#30 ·

running away from pix in:
Re: Suicide Doors on Future Lincoln Continental
...the admin, also expressed the opinion that a v8 belongs in a LtdEd. ...
I'm thinking a v8 ought to be no harder than certification for retro-fitted and stretched? operadoors :surprise2:
&
I can't imagine anything More extreme engineering-wise...THO
could definitely make a wish-List of OTHER 'extremities' :nerd: ...easier ones!!
List:
destroked 3.5-4.4L v8 & turbos
superglued 2x1.0/1.2L straight6, only turbos'ed
battery-surfboard to raise any model a couple inches & electrifry
STARstangs = sportsedan 4-door, STARbrake 5-door; coupecabrio 2seat/2-door
MARK = "4doorCoupe" & 2+2coupecabrio
+ scuvs in OP

#32 · (Edited)
copied from the Aviator thread
sorry my puter screwed up the Capitals - trying to fix some...

Z Replacement
Aviator looks amazing. Powerful and elegant. Well done Lincoln! And beautiful interior. There are now signs of life at Lincoln!! if only i were saying this about an upcoming new MARK LSC...
honestly, i believe that’s the fourth vehicle they will make.
- mark ix
i’m thinking the mkix will get the rear hinged doors and be a four door coupe it could compete with a the CLS and A7...
...also Lincoln’s centennial (with ford) is coming up rite around the time the last of the four vehicles should debut.
ugh they tried a 4 door mark in the early 80s and it didn't take well (not counting the 50s marks)
if they do a new mark i think it should be 2 door only.
since today's market is the same as the early 80s...
afaik that was just cuz of big hair and shoulder-pads :angel
ie too diff to count...
...re: Others' comments ... Carcars are topsecret for now ... Tho
imho ... A mark replaces the Z PDQ...like next year-ish!!
Then a new conti [& starstang?] happen if&when conditions permit
never said that but nice try.
It's a historic nameplate same thing if they started making a 4 door mustang.
ugh they tried a 2 door that didn’t work the last time either. Lincoln isn’t going to sell people on them being a maker of sexy 2 door coupes at the moment but they need a style halo car that can also be spacious enough for luxury customers. I think at this point they can’t get back into the personal luxury coupe market and it would be a waste of money.
last time Lincoln tried a 2 door was the mark viii they pulled out of that market because they wanted to replace the mark series with the ls, before that the mark series was going uninterpreted since 1969. If mercedes can still do a 2 door halo type vehicle why can't Lincoln? They had one for most of their existence and cost would probably be minimal if it shares the same platform as the mustang. It's a status symbol.
i think any "mark" car going forward would likely be a CLS/A7 kind of 4-door coupe. While there are some halo coupes still out there, that whole market segment has shrunk brutally. I'd be all for a properly impressive Lincoln coupe, but i think the marque would need to get at least 2-3 very solid sellers in place before they could do that kind of niche vehicle.
this is my opinion exactly. It'd be nice to see a true coupe from Lincoln, but it'd be more realistic for it to be a 4-door coupe. Unless they can make a case for 2 and 4 door coupe of the same vehicle.

#33 · (Edited)
fwiw/imho
seeing as the prestige-gap of a Rwd(proportion) car adds maybe 4-6" to the wheelbase,
(not changing interior-space nor-even-maybe overall length)
I'm thinking at least 116" for the Z/reMARKment ... anyone think the Aviator's is longer??
kinda feel they could be the same, whatever that is

Anyone heading to Javits wanna try to measure? :nerd: >:)

#36 · (Edited)
my extracts from MT that I didn't have time to post earlier
MT Interview: Lincoln Chief Joy Falotico on Aviator, Other Future Products
...The new head of Lincoln talks SUVs, China, electrification, and more...
JF: ...we are going to have two new utilities. This is just one of them [Lincoln Aviator], so we have another one to come. And we have four new vehicles around the corner. So getting those vehicles in the pipeline and getting them to market is clearly a priority.
MT: They will be a combination of new nameplates and next-generation models?
JF: Yeah. It’s safe to assume that...
MT: ...The name [Aviator] almost has more equity than the vehicle itself.
JF: With this new vehicle, I think we’ll change that...
MT: ...Design-wise... ...but engineering-wise [Continental] was still on an old platform.
JF: We are looking at other things that we can do with Continental**, and we’ll have more to say about that later.
** suicide doors ...​
MT: ...Will Lincoln set itself apart from Ford by offering electrified versions across the lineup?
JF: Yes, it will be. It’s across the lineup, and it’s all about the new technology. The other piece of it is it fits right into our brand DNA. We’re calling it a “quiet flight” because with the electrified powertrain, that’s how quiet it is. You don’t even hear the car, so it fits right into what we’re doing with the brand and the DNA so that you know you’re in a Lincoln.
MT: Will it vary by model whether it is a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or full EV?
JF: At this time we’re not making any announcements on that, but we’re starting with the plug-in hybrid while technology evolves on the BEVs.
MT: There will be a pure Lincoln EV at some point?
JF: Anything’s possible...

...by Alisa Priddle (fwiw, Not my fave journo)
just-imho, J.T sounds like she's repeating a 'briefing' that she has Yet to contribute to...

- - - - - - -

and my lineup speculation revised/globalized last night

223.3-131wlb -- Navi L _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ExpedMax
208-119wlb -- Navi _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Exped
___China - 210-121 - MKTc ...ngConti?
201 -- cD6 Avi _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . Explop
. . . MARK...195-116? _ _ _ _ _. 195½ = Bronco3
192 -- cD6 nautiluX _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Edge & .......Mach1? 188-192ovl
. . . STARstang{ 189-111 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . { _ _ /C2-Fusion
183 -- MKG cD6 Macan-killer _ _ _ _ _ _. Bronco2 &....Mach1? 109wlb
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .Mustang

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 177½ = C2-Escape
174 -- MKC/Maverick (C is/was 179.2) _. Maverick+?
___China - 165 - MKA _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . Maverick?"Bronco1"

ref:
2019 BMW X2 -- 172.2 -- 105.1
EcoSport - 158.1*/167.1 - 99.3 * w/o sparetire

Ø. Aviator (Ch2020)
1. Macan-killer/MKG
2-5. China MKTc & MKA, global MARK & STARtang; whatever order
:nerd: ...I'm not counting nextgens of MKC 2020 or cD6-nautiluX 2021

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
BEYOND UNCOVERED: WHITE SPACE... 8-o

copied from the Officially Cancelled thread...
...might eventually reName this one

Imagining a Ford Sportback Concept:

Tell me if my sketch is looking like a sportback and not a regular sedan. How can I make it look more like a sportback?

For the head and taillights I'm trying to do sort of a 1-2-3 theme. That's why there are just lines. What can I improve on?

Attachments

#38 · (Edited)
Re: BEYOND UNCOVERED: WHITE SPACE... 8-o

synthesizing
the 5 (FIVE*) platforms
Holy Grail C2 F-Awd = not-in-US-backyard? euro drivetrains
• Body-on-frame TRUCK/Suv
• Unibody VANs
• Unibody Rwd PASSENGER vehicles/vehicuvs = Mustang/Aviator
Electric car < CAR!(s?)
? Ranger/Everest/Bronco???*

page9^ Ford Uncovered Press Kit Pdf 91mb/54pages

part of old signature I just changed:
...I'm still wondering about cD6 having ALWAYS been related to S650
so this could be a smaller change of plans than it sounds?
cuz
it's looking like cD6 *IS* S650 :surprise2: & vice-versa :(

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.