Long-wheelbase Mondeo sighting in China [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Long-wheelbase Mondeo sighting in China

1931Chevy
08-01-2007, 03:05 PM
FoMoCoNews.Com: 2008 Chinese Modeo LWB
http://photo.ringo.com/225/225531275O451607700.jpg
Fomoconews.com image

Lately its seems just about every US brand in China has an LWB version of a sedan sold elsewhere around the world. Cadillac has the SLS which is just an upgraded version of the US STS, Buick just launched a highly styled Park Avenue. Not to be left out, pictures of the New LWB Modeo are beginning to show up all over the internet. Here below is coverage from motor authority

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/long-wheelbase-ford-mondeo-spotted-in-china/

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/Ford/Mondeo/spy/senzanome2st5_LWB_mondeo.jpg

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/long-wheelbase-ford-mondeo-spotted-in-china/

Ford has developed a special long-wheelbase version of the new Mondeo sedan and the model was spotted recently in China where it joins other China-specific LWB models from the likes of BMW and Volkswagen Group. The first pictures of the stretched Mondeo have turned up on the Chinese forum SoulImage, and clearly show the lengthened Ford sedanís longer wheelbase and extended rear door.

In China, itís not uncommon for even mainstream models like a Mondeo to be chauffeur driven. Even if a LWB Mondeo is released in China, itís unlikely itíll be sold in any other markets. Ford is clearly on a winner with the new Mondeo, which has been a sales success in the UK and throughout Europe.
Via SoulImage.cn

SobeSVT
08-01-2007, 03:27 PM
WTH!!! That is what that car was missing. Who knew, LENGHT?!?!?!

That is one good looking Mondeo . . . .

2b2
08-01-2007, 04:29 PM
for some reason it reminds me of the nextgen Mz6 spypix...

MX-9?
(the 'X' refers to sport/special, not nec. rotary)

ndwariga
08-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Has this vehicle been federalized? If it has been, or if it was designed to be easily federalized, I see no reason why slapping a Mercury grill on it should not help it come to the US and sell at least 30,000.00 units per year.

megeebee
08-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I say "well done". This is very handsome car.

ndwariga
08-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Those Rims look great. I think. Its amazing just how competitive the Chinese Market is.

SobeSVT
08-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Has this vehicle been federalized? If it has been, or if it was designed to be easily federalized, I see no reason why slapping a Mercury grill on it should not help it come to the US and sell at least 30,000.00 units per year.
You hit the nail on the head. I was talking to someone Saturn and she said that the costs of federalizing the Astra are being seriously affected by the weak Dollar (or strong Euro). That is the problem facing Ford right now and why, since they are so cash strapped, they can't afford such program at this moment.

Ford lost a big opportunity by not designing the Mondeo to be compliant with the American safety and emission regulations, the way BMW, Mercedes, or VW design every single car they launch. What a waisted opportunity!

Gladly, Allan Mulally's One Ford vision will solve this problem . . . one great car too late, though.

Mbukukanyau
08-04-2007, 10:26 AM
You hit the nail on the head. I was talking to someone Saturn and she said that the costs of federalizing the Astra are being seriously affected by the weak Dollar (or strong Euro). That is the problem facing Ford right now and why, since they are so cash strapped, they can't afford such program at this moment.

Ford lost a big opportunity by not designing the Mondeo to be compliant with the American safety and emission regulations, the way BMW, Mercedes, or VW design every single car they launch. What a waisted opportunity!

Gladly, Allan Mulally's One Ford vision will solve this problem . . . one great car too late, though.SobeSVT, this is indeed good insight. The basic problem with American auto companies and where they fail as compared to the Europeans and the Japanese is their cultural regional think.
While, Its alright to design vehicles for a particular market, in this day and age, bringing a plartform that to market that cannot be adopted for global use is unforgivable.
GM seems to have moved to a global structure faster than Ford. Virtually every plartform they have now is global.

SobeSVT
08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
SobeSVT, this is indeed good insight. The basic problem with American auto companies and where they fail as compared to the Europeans and the Japanese is their cultural regional think.
While, Its alright to design vehicles for a particular market, in this day and age, bringing a plartform that to market that cannot be adopted for global use is unforgivable.
GM seems to have moved to a global structure faster than Ford. Virtually every plartform they have now is global.
Global by marketing, not by design. That is exactly why it is such an expensive proposition. They are federalizing Astras in Europe as we speak. I think that GM is off to a very good start though.

MaxLegroom
08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
I'll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon here, that is one rather graceful shape...:D