Vintage styling question... [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Vintage styling question...

2b2
10-13-2007, 04:37 PM
I have a question
When I saw the Interceptor, it's rear window treatment reminded me of a production large Ford (Galaxie? LTD?) that used that angled/facetted trapezoid shape - the glass is what I'm talking about: where the sides have angles in blending into the plane of the C-pillar instead of just a corner (maybe this will help)
http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/InterC-angle.jpg
- back in 70's I think - know I've seen it before!
I've tried google searches but haven't gotten anywhere.
Really believe the car was Not a showcar/concept - in the picture in my head, the car is cream/pale-yellow...
...think it'd be a great adjunct for upcoming coupes & hatches (& want to use it for chops, too!).
HELP? (Mr. Nesbitt? anyone?) & Thanks!

timmm55
10-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Here's a 70 LTD roof....

2b2
10-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks, Tim! http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/beerchug.gif
but that's not it :(
tho a very nice LTD, & does have a slight point/triangularness at the center where it meets the trunklid (another frequently used FordFlourish™ - remembering a blue-green very-euro concept),
the one I'm thinking of really IS a near dead-ringer for the Interceptor's backlight (barely allowing for the passage of time)...

...to possibly help with the identification - think "the One" had a somewhat shorter trunklid.

signature du jour:________________________________________
2b2 is a proud member of "Mercuristes Inc*"
(disoragnization formerly known as the Mercury Mafia)...

durango 1
10-14-2007, 09:17 AM
the only rear light with lines so crisp and distinct i can recall are from a limited edition of monte carlo ss's produced in order to qualify a more aero efficient fastback in the winston cup series. is it possible that the ford you are recalling is from a later (early eighties) era as this monte was?

Dick Nesbitt
10-14-2007, 02:13 PM
I have a question
When I saw the Interceptor, it's rear window treatment reminded me of a production large Ford (Galaxie? LTD?) that used that angled/facetted trapezoid shape - the glass is what I'm talking about: where the sides have angles in blending into the plane of the C-pillar instead of just a corner (maybe this will help)
Really believe the car was Not a showcar/concept - in the picture in my head, the car is cream/pale-yellow...
...think it'd be a great adjunct for upcoming coupes & hatches (& want to use it for chops, too!).

--The 1977-1978-1979 Chevrolet Impala/Caprice coupe had a similar backlight design with break-formed and "bent" end surfaces .......I don't recall a Ford design like this.
The Chevrolet version was not nearly as "fast" as the Interceptor--but it was a similar idea...........

timmm55
10-14-2007, 02:35 PM
The Pontiac GP Aero:

2b2
10-14-2007, 11:04 PM
first, BIG THANKS one and all!!!
Someday I'll come across it, I hope...

--The 1977-1978-1979 Chevrolet Impala/Caprice coupe had a similar backlight design with break-formed and "bent" end surfaces .......I don't recall a Ford design like this.
The Chevrolet version was not nearly as "fast" as the Interceptor--but it was a similar idea...........
the only rear light with lines so crisp and distinct i can recall are from a limited edition of monte carlo ss's produced in order to qualify a more aero efficient fastback in the winston cup series. is it possible that the ford you are recalling is from a later (early eighties) era as this monte was?

it's very unlikely that it was not a Fomoco product - my 'resonance' with their styling goes back to my earliest memories.

if we could average the Impala (remember that now that you mentioned it - too upright - think there was another year that had a slightly softer version that's closer...Search Search Search: '71 (http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1293/frankie.jpg) thru '74 4door B-pillarless hardtops (http://www.stillruns.com/impalayears/1974.php) but still not right)
and Tim's GP Aero (tho that's too original-Barracuda-ish)....
well, it'd look an awful lot like the Interceptor!
the C-pillar had some 'flow'/forward-slant to it, No vinyl, an 'integrated' look but not really hatch-like
tho the Fox-Cougar and a Porsche (968?) had some of this treatment too (iirc)

&
the 2nd half 1979 was a time of MajorChanges for my family, so most recollections are labelled-in-my-head as Before-or-After that;
almost certain what I'm remembering (pic in a car magazine) is Before -
I guess it could have been an old magazine from the 60's that I saw in the 70's -
after finding/seeing those '71-'74 Impala pics, it's more likely 'the One' is earlier
and after '79 all those magazines/artifacts were gone
yet it (in hindsight) seemed too modern to be much before 1970
& it was a roofline for one particular body-style - not sure when they stopped doing that -
...of course trauma can distort memories :( ;)

again, thanks for your replies!!!

falcon lover
10-15-2007, 10:11 AM
I dont care angles.... i dont care C pillar.... the car look imposing....and that tailligths are pure 60-70's Galaxie or LTD .........

I love the Interceptor and i want to see it in the street with the rigth name: Galaxie!

SobeSVT
10-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a question
You have to go farther back, into the early sixties. That car is the Galaxie Sport Roof from, I think, 1963.

There was a removable hardtop car that never made it into production but still Ford made a few promotional shots before killing the concept. Those pictures show an IDENTICAL roof treatment as the Interceptor and is its obvious inspiration.

Sadly I wasn't able to find a picture? I know I have it on a book, in a box . . . somewhere. :rolleyes:

megeebee
10-15-2007, 12:19 PM
1977-78 Olds Toronado:

http://www.desoto58.com/story/toronado78xs4.jpg

wingsnut
10-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Wow, I forgot about that car. Not exactly attractive, but lots of pinache.
Hey, they had high-tail lamps back then, or are those reflectors?

megeebee
10-15-2007, 12:25 PM
...and as was mentioned by Mr. Nesbitt, the 77-79 Chevrolet Impala Coupe:

http://images.traderpub.net/img/10/dealer/131210/85865495_4.jpg

megeebee
10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow, I forgot about that car. Not exactly attractive, but lots of pinache.
Hey, they had high-tail lamps back then, or are those reflectors?

They were functioning brake lights. If they worked as turn signals, memory fails me.

They were intended as a "signature" for Toronado I suspect to differentiate it more from the Eldorado. They were introduced on the 1971 model, and continued through 1978.

And no, one could not call this car "beautiful". The central core of the body remained unchanged for both Eldorado and Toronado for 8 model years. Extraordinary even by todays standards. The fenders, grilles, quarter panels, interiors, and such were reworked from time to time. But the central sections and the door, roof, cowl were all retained for that time. Somehow, the Toronado did not bear this as well as the Cadillac. You can see in this shot the forest of seams all over the rear of the body.

It didn't seem to harm things too much. I remember reading years ago that sales of the Eldorado in the last year of it's 8 year run (1978) were 40,000. Cadillac would love to have those figures for the STS today (but not a snow balls chance of achieving it).