Ford Inside News banner

Toyota donates $2 million to American Red Cross

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Octane 
#1 ·
http://www.nyse.com/interface/jsp/N...sHeadlines&sid=PR 10/25 4024&isdowjones=false
Toyota announced today that it will be donating $2
million to the American Red Cross to support relief efforts for the California
wildfires. This is one of the largest financial gifts the Red Cross has
received for the California wildfires. Toyota is also donating Toyota lift
trucks and palette jacks that will be used to unload and distribute relief
supplies.

"Toyota is a valued partner of the American Red Cross. We are extremely
grateful for this generous donation that will enable the Red Cross to provide
life-saving support to the affected communities in southern California," said
Mark W. Everson, President and CEO of the American Red Cross. "This donation
will be critical in helping the Red Cross provide essential relief in the
immediate aftermath of the fires."

"It's our hope that aid may quickly reach those who fell victim to the
California wildfires," said Jim Lentz, executive vice president of Toyota Motor
Sales, USA. "We owe a debt of gratitude to courageous firefighters and disaster
relief organizations like the American Red Cross."
As much as I despise Toyota, you gotta hand it to them for this one.

#2 ·
To root for your home team you don't really have to "despise" them. I will always be grateful to Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mazda. Without them America's car industry wouldn't have been forced to enter into the spiral of improvements they are today.

I also am grateful for their help in the California disaster.

#3 ·
For me its not only "rooting for your home team". I was a Toyota enthusiast for a long time and I resent the arrogance that Toyota currently has.
They think they can easily dominate any market they choose to, that their quality is the best and they no one could ever challenge them in the hybrid market.
I also greatly resent the games that Japan plays in terms of currency manipulation and how they dont allow American or European automakers to have factories or dealerships in Japan.
I used to post on several Toyota forums as "Octane" or "Bakemono" and anyone who frequents Toyota forums knows me as one of the most vocal and outspoken Toyota supporters (even though I havent owned a Toyota for 10 years).
As I said though, those days are over and I now do business with American companies whenever possible. You might say that I had a sort of awakening...

#4 ·
For me its not only "rooting for your home team". I was a Toyota enthusiast for a long time and I resent the arrogance that Toyota currently has.
They think they can easily dominate any market they choose to, that their quality is the best and they no one could ever challenge them in the hybrid market.
I also greatly resent the games that Japan plays in terms of currency manipulation and how they dont allow American or European automakers to have factories or dealerships in Japan.
I used to post on several Toyota forums as "Octane" or "Bakemono" and anyone who frequents Toyota forums knows me as one of the most vocal and outspoken Toyota supporters (even though I havent owned a Toyota for 10 years).
As I said though, those days are over and I now do business with American companies whenever possible. You might say that I had a sort of awakening...
Well said Octane.
I completely agree with you. Sure, Toyota makes good products, but they are not infallible, but they act like it. They have been humbled recently and that will only continue and even get worst before it gets better. They deserve it as well.

#5 ·
Yeah, I pretty much just got fed up with it all. I was all for buying an import if it was a better product, but if its just as likely for me to have a problem with either, Id much rathar buy a domestic.
My '99 F-150 hasnt been perfect, but overall I really like it and its a truck that when people ask me what I drive, I can point to it and say, "thats mine".
I dont think I would have the same pride if I drove an import because I would always kind of feel like a traitor to my country.
For me, that straw that broke the camel's back was when youd see press report after press report of Toyota's top level executives who would say that putting out quality vehicles was more important than production numbers, yet at the same time they would release statements about how they want more production and how they plan to beat GM. Well, which do they want? Quality vehicles or production numbers? IMO, you cant improve quality while at the same time upping production.
I just looked at all the quality problems, poor dealer service, overpriced vehicles, currency manipulation and the fact that Japan is a closed market and I just decided that I was done with them.
Id buy a Chevy or a Chrysler before I bought a Toyota or Honda.
Hopefully once the domestics get the new contract worked out (hopefully Ford can get the same deal that GM and Chrysler got, if not a better one) and Ford gets done restructuring they will be able to make a comeback and return to their former glory.

#7 ·
Nah, I could never pity them. Toyota made their bed and now they have to lay in it. The difference is that the media bashed the domestics for years, yet in spite of Toyota's quality issues, the media still touts their quality and reliability.

#9 ·
Thats the way it should be, really. If they are going to pick on the domestics when they have quality issues, they should rake the Asians and Euros across the coals when they have quality issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.